New To Denver, CO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 14th, 2014, 04:45 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

New To Denver, CO

Hi all,

Recently moved out to Denver, well Golden, for school. Planning on being here for 2-3 years and wondering where the local Land Rover group is. I was/am in the Chicago Land Rover group but I don't think I'll be driving back to the Midwest for too many events in the near future, though they should come out here... if Brett sees this...

My 90 is on its way out here, I didn't feel like putting myself through the drive in a defender pulling a trailer from Chicago to Denver so it is on the bed of a truck coming out here as I type. Seeing all the mountains I want to go head out into them but need to get to know some off-road enthusiasts in the area, also anyone into mountain biking!??

Utilizing my google skills I found a few off-road groups, one being a Toyota group, but could not track down the LR group. Anyone on here in the Denver/Colorado Land Rover group... enthusiast...???

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2014, 04:47 PM
gambrinus
Russ Wilson
1965 Dormobile

Registry
Solihull Society is a very active club and puts on the National Land Rover Rally each year. Also fairly active in general off roading events / trail access issues.

I'll PM you my contact info.

RW
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:51 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Much appreciated gambrinus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Good Luck in your new adventure!
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:10 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Good Luck in your new adventure!
Thanks, hopefully it goes well for me and my Landy!
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:18 PM
VictorA
Victor Atkins
'94 D90 SOLD

Mines? I went to undergrad there when I had a 90. A guy Dennis (if I am remembering correctly) at Linden Engineering on South Golden Rd worked on my truck a couple times and did a pretty good job. Hope you enjoy school, it'll kick the shit out of you... At least that was my experience
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:34 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Welcome.

Golden is a nice place to live
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:27 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorA View Post
Mines? I went to undergrad there when I had a 90. A guy Dennis (if I am remembering correctly) at Linden Engineering on South Golden Rd worked on my truck a couple times and did a pretty good job. Hope you enjoy school, it'll kick the shit out of you... At least that was my experience

I'm heading to linden this weekend to get the emissions for my 300tdi all checked out so I can get it registered in CO. I feel as though all engineering degrees kick the shit of you, already got my undergrad and that was such a joy, no idea why I had the grand idea to come back for my masters...
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:41 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Welcome.

Golden is a nice place to live
Yes, indeed.
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM
VictorA
Victor Atkins
'94 D90 SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
I'm heading to linden this weekend to get the emissions for my 300tdi all checked out so I can get it registered in CO. I feel as though all engineering degrees kick the shit of you, already got my undergrad and that was such a joy, no idea why I had the grand idea to come back for my masters...
What are you going to study? Be sure to get wings at the rock rest, the best
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I have been contemplating going back to school and have been considering Mines as a possibility.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:51 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
no idea why I had the grand idea to come back for my masters...
Undergrad engineering (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical) is a pain for everyone, whether they admit it or not Masters was a lot more fun, you won't burn out as much finishing it, and you will get more money because of it.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:23 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
I'm heading to linden this weekend to get the emissions for my 300tdi all checked out so I can get it registered in CO.

The emissions test for diesels in CO is not stringent but it requires putting the truck on a dyno. The only shop in Denver metro that can do an emissions test on a full time 4wd diesel is GO Dodge on Arapahoe. You have to schedule it like any other service appointment, and they charge $100 for the privilege.

Alternatively you can pull the front driveshaft, lock the center diff and take it to one of the 2wd testing stations. That is what I've been doing.

I seem to recall somebody on this board saying that they got an exemption on a D90 and didn't have to do the test, but I think that is only going to apply to NAS models.

Welcome to Golden. Pretty much everyone here mountain bikes but it's ski season now!
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Exceptions for Colorado:

I/M 240 Exceptions

Because of OEM design and/or safety considerations, some 1982 and newer vehicles are not tested on the dynamometer, but are instead tested with the Two-Speed Idle Test. These include but are not limited to:

Corvette, 2005, low-profile stock tires
Cadillac Escalade EXT model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 newer
Cooper Mini S, 2002
Daihatsu Rocky, all wheel drive, 1991
Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, optional full-time four-wheel drive model with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2000 and newer
Dodge Stealth R/T, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Ford Special Edition Jack Roush Mustang, 2000 and newer
GMC Sierra Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2002 and newer
GMC Yukon Denali XL model, all wheel drive with a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, 2001 and newer
Isuzu Vehicross, all wheel drive, 1999-2002
Landrover Defender 90, all wheel drive, 1994, 1995 & 1997
Mercedes-Benz 500, V-8 with traction control, 1990 and newer
Mercedes-Benz 600 SL and 600 SEL, 1992 and newer
Mitsubishi 3000 GT, all wheel drive, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1991 and newer
Porsche Carrera C-4 and 4S Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa models, all wheel drive, 1989 and newer
Porsche 911 Twin Turbo, all wheel drive, 1996 & 1997
Toyota Rav 4, two-door, all wheel drive, 1996;Volvo 850, with manufacturer-equipped 17 or 18 inch wheels, 1993-1996
Kit, custom or homemade cars, all model years
Handicapped-plated vehicles with adaptive equipment such as hand controls and lacking foot pedals, all model years
Stretch limousines having a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, and having non-disengagable all-wheel/four-wheel drive or non-disengagable traction control systems, all model years.

Doesn't look like he would qualify.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
The exemption is because of the wheelbase so it should qualify. I asked why the D90s got an exemption and not the D110s. They said the 90 is too short for the Dynamo.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
The exemption is because of the wheelbase so it should qualify. I asked why the D90s got an exemption and not the D110s. They said the 90 is too short for the Dynamo.
Too short for the Envirotest AWD dynos anyway. But Envirotest doesn't test diesels so it's a moot point.

It sucks to pull my front drive shaft every year but I think it's either that or $100 at Go Dodge on Arapahoe.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evan
Evan
1987 D90

Registry
I live in Colorado Springs, and recently had to get my first emissions done on my 300tdi D90. I got an exemption this year because we only have one diesel emissions testing center in town, and they do not have an awd drive dyno. However, I was told I would have to pull the driveshaft next year and put it on the dyno.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:27 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Here's the list:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186648384016

Looks like there are two more facilities now in Denver metro in addition to Go Dodge that can test AWD diesel, and for only $85.

I might reconsider pulling the driveshaft next year if I'm only saving $40.

Then again, that $40 represents 2.5 30 packs of Extra Gold at Applejack. That's 75 cans of beer.
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:33 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorA View Post
What are you going to study? Be sure to get wings at the rock rest, the best
I'm in the petroleum engineering masters program here. So far I'm enjoying it, but I do have to take some deficiency courses as I was a civil undergrad. I'm considering concentrating on unconventionals and or drilling and completions. I'd like to be out in the field and see drilling would keep me out there. But it seems the industry is going towards unconventionals so I would like a good knowledge base there too.

To everyone else, thanks for all the emissions information! I really appreciate it do appreciate it. I'll get some advice from the linden guys and see what they have to say. If it is true that due to the short wheel base I do not have to do the dyno that would be great. If not I could easily pull the front drive shaft.

I'll update this as to what happens.

Thanks everyone again
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:48 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Hi all,

Recently moved out to Denver, well Golden, for school. Planning on being here for 2-3 years and wondering where the local Land Rover group is. I was/am in the Chicago Land Rover group but I don't think I'll be driving back to the Midwest for too many events in the near future, though they should come out here... if Brett sees this...
We're working on it!!!! Enjoy everything that IL isn't!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events