Need Mid-Atlantic overland route ideas - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 5th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This is sounding like a good round the campfire conversation at URE
Early in the conversation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3344291500.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	115344  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Who has run the Trans America Trail? Serious consideration on running the eastern section for a few days out. I understand it starts now in Chattanooga. I'm curious about the camping and scenery. No interest in hotel stays.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I haven't done it but want to. I can lend you the tenn maps/turn directions if you want, and can double check with a friend who I lent them to at some point and believe made a digital version of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I haven't done it but want to. I can lend you the tenn maps/turn directions if you want, and can double check with a friend who I lent them to at some point and believe made a digital version of them.
thanks. the GPS file's aren't expensive though. I have google earth and overland navigator software. I would be interested in his feedback on the Eastern section if he's done the new route, not the old.

Old March 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
He didn't end up running it sorry.
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:32 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

We were "Appalachian Overland Adventures and, along with Mike Boggs, ran off-road tours through the mountains of VA and WVA. Our goal was to spend the entire trip off-road and only cross pavement and not drive on it. With a lot of exploring and pre-runs, we were able to put together several 3 day trips doing just that with staying in B&B's in the evenings. Unfortunately when the economy tanked, interest waned and we quit doing the trips. Just about all of the forest service roads are closed in WVA but unlike a lot of states, any road that was ever a road in WVA is often still a legal right away. We found some pretty challenging mountainous stuff that hadn't been driven in decades leading to some great spots including a ghost town etc. Get a map from the WVA highway department and look for roads that are listed as "abandoned or impassible". We found some great trails between Lewisburg and Beckly, some in the New River Valley area.
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:14 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
uggghhh yeah. For those not in the know, there has been an effort to restart ferry service from Tampa, FL to Cancun, Mexico. If that goes into place, that means us on the Eastern seaboard would be able to drive to tampa, board the ferry, drive off the ferry the next day in Cancun, and cross into Belize and Guatemala WITHOUT having to drive all the way around and through TX and N. Mexico. It's like cutting 3-4 days off of the drive to get the C. American playground. in effect turning a 3 week overland trip into a 2 week overland trip, which for us Americans that are not Briggs, is the usually limit to time off. Tampa to Cancun Area Ferry Service Coming in October 2014? | Enjoy Cozumel's Blog
Cutting out Mexico all together is the best thing. We did that drive to Central America a few years back. Out of all the countries, Mexico was the biggest hassle and joke. Four hours at the border just to get an overland permit. Checkpoints about every 20 miles. The rudest drivers I have encountered in the entire world.
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
We were "Appalachian Overland Adventures and, along with Mike Boggs, ran off-road tours through the mountains of VA and WVA. Our goal was to spend the entire trip off-road and only cross pavement and not drive on it. With a lot of exploring and pre-runs, we were able to put together several 3 day trips doing just that with staying in B&B's in the evenings. Unfortunately when the economy tanked, interest waned and we quit doing the trips. Just about all of the forest service roads are closed in WVA but unlike a lot of states, any road that was ever a road in WVA is often still a legal right away. We found some pretty challenging mountainous stuff that hadn't been driven in decades leading to some great spots including a ghost town etc. Get a map from the WVA highway department and look for roads that are listed as "abandoned or impassible". We found some great trails between Lewisburg and Beckly, some in the New River Valley area.
Thanks for the tip. One of my posse in the party purchased an Appalachian 4 day route from www.mountainstateoverland.com that looks interesting. We're having a hard time telling how much is pavement vs off-pavement. we may have to add in some dotted line routes into the itinerary if we go that way. Anybody ever use their routes? The itinerary sounds interesting with alot of primitive camping which is perfect, but again, I don't want to be camped next to a prius.

Old March 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
The decision has been made! We're kicking off July 25th on a Mountain State Overland Appalachian route for 7 beagle free days of cast iron man cooking, scotch and rum drinking, and cigar smoking on backwoods gravel and mud roads through VA-WV, coming home smelling like diesel and dust. I'll be doing a full report on it enroute, and lots of pics on FB and Instagram.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events