NCLR/SCLR Oceano Dunes SVRA Trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old April 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

NCLR/SCLR Oceano Dunes SVRA Trip

For those out in this neck of the woods that want to get out and play the annual Pismo NCLR/SCLR meet in the middle trip is coming up the first weekend of May. The dunes are a fun place to come out and tool around as stock trucks do great as long as you air down a bit. We usually camp out in the dunes to stay away from the riff raff and wind on the beach proper. If camping isn't your thing, Grover Beach / Arroyo Grande are close by and offer lodging. The trip leader Lutzi lives in Grover Beach and his day job is running tours of the dunes in HMMWVs for tourists so he knows the place like the back of his hand.

Schedule usually works like this: People start showing up Friday evening, a night run usually ensues before everyone settles down around the campfire. Saturday morning after everyone wakes up and gets breakfast sorted we take a run out in the dunes for a bit. Come back to camp for lunch and then head up near Lake Lopez and run the Garcia Ridge trail to avoid the windiest part of the day. We usually make it back to camp later in the afternoon where everyone makes dinner and a campfire is started. Another night run and then tomfoolery around the campfire. Wake up Sunday morning and pack up camp and then some head out, others make one last run in the dunes. Friday night is too much of a haul for some so a few people usually show up Saturday morning.

Would be nice to put some names to faces of people on here, if you can make it out please do. If you are interested in coming post up here so I can relay the headcount back to the trip leader. Anyhow, here's the relevant info from the posts on the club forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzi Haas
MAY 1-3

Ok, this is the official trip sheet for our upcoming Annual Gathering @ Pismo Beach

Before this trip, I need attendees to respond to the following questions below.

1) Your eta arrival to Pismo

2) Are you camping or staying in a hotel; if camping, can you bring a bundle of wood?

3) Anyone interested in hitting Garcia Ridge Saturday afternoon; leave camp after lunch be back before dark.

Trip Details (Print this)

Trip Planner: Lutz

Trail Leader: None. This is a gathering similar to the NCLR MORG @ Hollister. No trip leader. Ea person is responsible for their action and need to abide by Oceano SVRA park rules and regulations: Dune Safety Regs

Date/Time: May 1-3

Brief Trail Description: Welcome to Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). Formerly Pismo Dunes SVRA, this sand dune complex is geologically unique and also provides an impressive playground for off-highway enthusiasts from throughout the United States. Oceano Dunes also offers visitors other recreational activities such as swimming, surfing, surf fishing, camping, and hiking: Oceano Dunes SVRA

Meeting Location: Eucalyptus Campground; look for me .I will be there in the morning.

Directions to Oceano Dunes and Eucalyptus Campground:

Use this address for your vehicle GPS: 100 Pier Ave, Oceano, CA.

Or take:
- North or South Interstate 101.
- Take the Grand Avenue exit.
- Turn right (heading west).
- Approx 2 miles turn left on Pacific Coast Highway intersection
- Approx 1 mile turn right on Pier Avenue intersection (light).
- Aprox. mile is the entrance to Oceano, SVRA (100 Pier Ave)

Here's an aerial view of this SVRA park: Map of Oceano Dunes - Things To Do - Pismo Beach, California

As you can see in the aerial view, there's the "Pier Ave" ramp (100 Pier Ave); follow Pole 1, 2, 3....

Use the map provided to get the camp - after Pole 6 and before Pole 7 (Competition Hill), turn towards camp.

Radio Ham
146.460 Simplex
Repeaters
147.975 100.0 -.6

Fees (yes); Make your reservation: OCEANO DUNES SVRA, CA - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [CA]

Vehicle Requirements: Stock Land Rovers welcomed, but best with high clearance 4x4 vehicles. Air down to the recommend psi for your tires/vehicles while on the beach; for example, I'm running 255/85/16 KMs on my D2 - going down between 10-15 psi. Also make sure your vehicle is in working condition.

Required Safety Equipment: flag can be picked up next to the entrance to the beach, fire extinguisher

Required Recovery Equipment: Strong recovery points (front and rear)

Misc Equipment: shovel, first aid kit, repair tools (to suit your vehicle), tire gauge and tire pump.

Weather Forecast and Trail Conditions: mostly sunny; windy highs in the 60s lows in the 40s at night.

Expected Trail conditions: Will check as we get closer to the date.

Clothing Suggestions: warm weather but bring layers as it gets cold at night.

Property Information
Oceano SVRA Ranger Station
928 Pacific Blvd.
Oceano CA
805-773-7170
Call 911 for emergencies

Entrance to the Park
100 Pier Ave.
Oceano, CA

Nearby Towing and Repair Services info: Kautz Towing (805) 489-2336

Gas/Service Station Locations in the area: several especially on Grand Ave

Other Info:
Bring your camera and extra batteries, tent/sleeping bag if camping, extra garbage bags, sunscreen, GPS Unit optional certainly map of the area and compass, drinking water (primitive camp - no drinking water avail), nights might be cold - bring extra blanket and warm clothing/fire wood, Full size spare/repair kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:52 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Bump as a reminder.. Just under two weeks out..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:49 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Bump, would like to see some of the Socal and Norcal Defendersource people come out and represent. Trip is a week out..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2015, 04:45 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Where's the picture of Spiker jumping the dunes in his sport? That's my favorite picture from Pismo ever.

I'd come, but my membership lapsed and I now live 3k miles away.
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:38 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I've got a couple of chuck from NCLR jumping his D2 and catching some pretty serious air somewhere.

Anyhow, heading out from LA this afternoon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
trip