Moab Jun 26-Jul 1 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

I can't afford to bring 2 trucks. I'll just have to try to get this one taken care of before we go.

I need to do a pre-emptive on the water pump anyway. Filters and fluids are no problem. D2's have a hub assembly, so no wheel bearings. An axle with a cv would be nice. Might check the bone yards on that one.
You can run without the PS pump.
This will be fun if I can make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2004, 11:58 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

I have extra parts that I keep and renew when they are deemed dead. For example when my alternator took a crap I used the website that you posted on DWeb, ordered the new parts (brushes, ect) and re-manned it. I have an extra starter I bought on EBay a few months back and just have not used it yet. I also rebuilt the fuel pump, and I carry a red top and an Interstate battery just in case. Also when the idler pulley went bad I replaced the bearing about ($8 @ NAPA) and I also ordered a new one from AutoZone that was half the price of what roverconnection wanted. I guess I have learned by the bitter hand of experience, that when driving a Rover one must be prepared for the unthinkable! LOL!

All my fluids will work on your truck BUT the anti-freeze as yours should call for the orange stuff (but you can always just use water too). I might just bring ATF instead of power steering fluid because ATF can be used in the pump.
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

[QUOTE=RoverChic]For example when my alternator took a crap I used the website that you posted on DWeb, ordered the new parts (brushes, ect) and re-manned it. QUOTE]
Wow! Someone actually got some use out of one of my answers! And the Rover Gods only thought I was good for pissing off Koby.
I can see why you have the extras now. Luckily my D2 has been running pretty good.
Time to start saving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm planning on going. If you are too, PM me and I will add you name to the list below. It would be nice to have an idea of who is planning on joining this trip.

Dave Smith
Melissa
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:11 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
I'm planning on going. If you are too, PM me and I will add you name to the list below. It would be nice to have an idea of who is planning on joining this trip.

BAM!!!!!! I am there!!
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well as an organiser I'm comming too.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Well as an organiser I'm comming too.
Great! I'm just making a list because I would hate to drive 8 hours and be the only one to show up. Organize away! If you need any help, let me know.....Dave
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:21 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Cough Cough

Dave --- There is no K in Chic. *BIG GRIN*

My name is Melissa. This going to be fun! I hope Walter can make it as well as Yousef and Mike H!
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Any help is welcome. Work has gotten crazy so I'm not getting eveything done that I want to. If you could look into campgrounds that would be great. Oh and I'm driving 3 days to get there

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:14 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
I love the sun so I plan to soak up those Moab Rays!!!
LOL! For about 5 minutes! Then you'll be smokin'. When I lived in CO we would go to Moab a lot and laugh at all the people that got burnt to a crisp because they didn't realize you burn about 50 times faster. For sunscreen, get the highest SPF you can get your hands on, like 50. Also, you're going at a time when it's going to be pretty hot, but you can also get rain every afternoon, which makes the slickrock actually slick. As for camping, you'll find there are tons of campgrounds and depending on what other events are taking place you can usually find spots. You can also camp along the river on route 128 in National Forest (I think) campgrounds, which are primitive from what I remember. A stock or OME-lifted D90 can do all but the more difficult trails without problems by itself. A stock D90 with a modified companion vehicle can probably do everything but Pritchett Canyon by getting pulled up and over the obstacles, if you don't care too much about body damage. I know everyone who goes to Moab usually has 7" lifts and 42" tires, but the guys in Suzuki's with 31x10.50's can do almost everything , especially if they have lockers. The nice thing about Moab compared to trails in Colorado is that if you slide off a "trail" you usually won't plummet 500 feet over a cliff.

A good resource is Guide to Moab, UT Back Roads & 4wd Trails by Charles Wells.

Moab is great for biking too. On one memorable trip on Steel Bender we saw no less than 6 bikers within an hour break bones going down a few steps.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:56 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

http://www.defendersource.com/faq/Ac...kchecklist.pdf
Give that a check for some other ideas on packing. And I dont want to hear anyone over 92" wheelbase complaining about room. Lisa and I had to trim out the 2nd truck from our last trip out to Moab and both of us humped it out and back for the 2 weeks in the D90 with all our gear. This is where "camping" at the Big Horn really pays off as we could safely store gear in our room that we would not need depending on the day(s) planned ahead.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Another thing to consider that I learned about when I was out there was dust storms. Although we never ran into one I would not want to be caught in one with the top down. I'm not sure what you would do f the top was off other then seek alternate shelter but it something for the ST guys to think about.
We ran into one head out at the Co/Ut border, pretty wicked too. Had the top on and we still were covered in dust when we popped ou tthe other side. If I had them at the time, I would have put on some moutaineer glasses or maybe ski goggles LOL.

Quote:
Bring a big cooler! And they sell dry ice out there at the gas stations; I don't know how much better it is then regular ice but something to try.
There is a big supermarket right in the middle of town. They sell block ice which (1) 12lb block would last almost 3 days in my cooler but this was spring time, not the middle of summer. The guys with Engels didnt even need ice.

Quote:
And be sure to keep plenty of gas in the tank, there was one spot on the way there that had no gas stations for 50+ miles. Doesn't sound like much until you are pulling into the gas station on fumes and praying that you'll make it? So a 5 gallon jerry of gas may be a good idea.
From the east coast to Fruita co. the gas stations are pretty regular although were spaced out a little on the west side coming out of the moutains on rt70. Fruita is pretty much the last big gassing stop before the last haul before Moab, this assuming you get off at Cisco and take the backway into town. General rule I followed with the D90 was if I was below half a tank and looked like we were getting into spacious highway, I filled up. Once I hit Kansas, I do also fill up the Jerry can as a backup although I never had to tap into it for the entire trip.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
A good resource is Guide to Moab, UT Back Roads & 4wd Trails by Charles Wells.
I agree, this is a must have book for going out. Also when in town, most shops will have the Latitude 40 Inc, Moab East and Moab West maps. They were a little pricey but they are waterproof, tear resistant, and give very detailed overview of the whole area and where the trails are.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Hmm... We are planning on camping. Got any recomendations?
Archway Inn showers-pool-hot tub!

I love camping don't get me wrong. Just to prepair yourself for the Moab camping experience, Go and get a bag of fine sand, like silica sand. (90 lbs should be enough) Now spread it all over your gear, your bed, in your shoes, in your hair, and in your pockets.

Now lather up with 1/2 gal. of sun screen and have someone throw a few handfulls on your bod.

Next open the doors of your defender and throw a couple fo handfulls in the cab

One more thing----It's going to be HOT!!!!.....Africa HOT.....HOT like the core of the sun HOT!

BUT I GO EVERY CHANCE I CAN

I will be there if I can get away. But in my line of work I will only know if I can make it maybe a week in advance.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Cool. Thanks for the info. Now to go read all of it.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Archway Inn showers-pool-hot tub!

I love camping don't get me wrong. Just to prepair yourself for the Moab camping experience, Go and get a bag of fine sand, like silica sand. (90 lbs should be enough) Now spread it all over your gear, your bed, in your shoes, in your hair, and in your pockets.

Now lather up with 1/2 gal. of sun screen and have someone throw a few handfulls on your bod.

Next open the doors of your defender and throw a couple fo handfulls in the cab

One more thing----It's going to be HOT!!!!.....Africa HOT.....HOT like the core of the sun HOT!
Man, we are still finding red sand in the Disco and it's been six months it's last trip to Moab. And you can't over estimate how freakin' hot it's going to be.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:51 PM
jabber
m j

Count another one from CO in!!! I'd love to go wheelin with y'all! Camping or motelling I really don't care; but being a C/B.... camping sounds nice.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Ahhhh .. This is going to be fun! I am in charge of drinks. *BIG GRIN* Send me a PM Please with your favorite beverage. No drinking on the trails of course but for fun around the camp fire!
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Flippedrover,

How long a drive is it? I'm in NJ & your thread sparked an interest. I've got a CR250 that I can strap to the back of my truck, is it worth bringing out there? Me & a buddy have been trying to plan something like this
Old February 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

It's 31hours from the DC area. I'm not sure about the CR250. I've never been out there so I don't know. I'm sure someone will answer that for you though.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Is a CR250 a motor bike or a peddle bike? Because when we were out there in the fall there was a group of guys on dirt bikes racing around everywhere. But there were also mountain bikers that were dieing and begging us to trade rides. Unless you have someone to go with when your out there then you're pretty much going to be on your own and I think it would kind of suck and not be very safe. Remember your going to be in the sun a lot more, and you need to carry a ton of water.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Hey, can you guys take pics and post them since I don't have the coin to go in April or make this trip.. Maybe one day..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events