Moab: Fri, May 18th - Sat, May 26th - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old April 6th, 2012, 11:45 PM
comac90
Troy McNeill
Always looking...

Moab: Fri, May 18th - Sat, May 26th

Me and some guys are heading to Moab at the end of May. I'm leaving Asheville on Thursday, May 17 with a friend from Charlotte, picking up a friend in Boulder, CO and arriving in Moab on Friday evening. I'll be there all week before heading back to Boulder on Saturday, 5/26 and would like to invite anyone to join us who wants to.

We have a handful of guys coming and going throughout the week. There are a couple of guys from Denver, a guy from Grand Junction and several people from Texas (who I don't know) who've talked about getting together. I've also been after my 'old partner' Keith over at Roving Tracks to hop in and join us for at least a couple of days in that 110 of his (Keith, you listening? ).

The trail agenda is a little open at this point, but I've been thinking about something like:

Sat: First, recover from the 1800mile drive ...then run something like Hells Revenge and hit the Brewery
Sun: anything a friend of mine could run in a rented, built jeep
Mon: maybe Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar OR Rusty Nail/Golden Spike/Gold Bar OR Behind the Rocks OR ...??? (later that evening, a friend of mine with a 'built' LR4 arrives, so any trails from Monday evening on need to be a little tamer )
Tue: Me and LR4 guy head to backcountry on White Rim for the night (welcome to join us, but you'll need a permit to camp)
Wed: return from backcountry, maybe a quick trail/sightsee, probably hit Arches for pics at sunset
Thu: moderate trail or one difficult with bypasses, will probably do early morning and late evening arches pictures
Fri: Possibly a light trail/sight see
Sat: LR4 guy ships truck and heads out, I go to Boulder for rest of wknd and then catch flight home/truck gets shipped

So, if anyone is interested in joining in or is going to already be out there, let me know ... would love to catch up.

T

Support Roving Tracks (formerly Rover Tracks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2012, 12:24 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You've got some balls for that trip. What are you driving out there?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
comac90
Troy McNeill
Always looking...

2012 JKU - It's a little more comfortable than the Defender was. LOL I'm only doing the drive out, though -gonna ship and fly back. I'm getting too old and soft to do the drive both ways ...these Moab trips were wayyy easier when I was living in Boulder.

T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
That's funny, I moved from Boulder to Asheville also
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Sounds fun! Would be cool to join up but I'm thinking about Overland Expo in Flagstaff that weekend
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
comac90
Troy McNeill
Always looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
That's funny, I moved from Boulder to Asheville also
Cool - when? We moved ~6yrs ago. AVL is the only other place in the country my wife and I wanted to live. With family in NC, us starting to have kids, and a good offer, it was a no-brainer. ...so hard to leave Boulder, though. We go back 1-2x/year - still have close friends there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
Sounds fun! Would be cool to join up but I'm thinking about Overland Expo in Flagstaff that weekend
That'll be a good trip. We (me and LR4 guy) almost did that instead - it was a really tough call.

Moab won out, though, b/c my dad has never been to Moab and has been wanting to get out there for a while to photograph arches ... And 'wheel with his son' , something we've never done. He's going to join up with us mid-week. Ive heard nothing but good things about the Overland Expo, though. We've talked a little about trying to hit that next year. I'm shooting to at least get to the Overland Rally in Atlanta this year, 9/27-30.

T

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
comac90
Troy McNeill
Always looking...

only 2 weeks away ...

For anyone who is interested in joining us or if you're already going to be in Moab that week, our tentative updated schedule is below ... we would love to catch up/run some trails.

Friday (5/18): arrive in Moab
Saturday (5/19): climb/MTB
Sunday: 4x4 trails TBD ... open to about anything
Monday: trails TBD hopefully - though there'll be 3 of us there on Monday, I'm currently the only one who is going to have a rig in our 'group' that day. If anyone is running anything that day, let me know if you wouldn't mind us tagging along. That evening, I have another friend coming in with his Rover
Tuesday: hit White Rim with hikes to ruins, etc; camp at Airport camp
Wednesday: morning-Finish White Rim and run Long Canyon to hwy 279 to see petroglyphs on the way back to Moab; afternoon- Hells Revenge ... possible late afternoon photography in Arches
Thursday: Poison Spider Mesa-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim ... possibly some early morning and/or late afternoon photography in Arches
Friday: morning - Sevenmile Rim; afternoon - actually 'tour' Arches
Saturday: - head to Boulder, then back to NC

Troy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events