Mar 2011 - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

View Poll Results: You going to MAR 2011?
I'm going 20 46.51%
Would go if they moved the location 9 20.93%
Not going 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I know there is a Club ready to do a MAR like event to suit all our needs/ expectations that is waiting for ROAV to announce the location officially.

If at the same place as last year, well a NEW MAR will be created, AKAIK the MAR it is not a copyrighted name nor it can be, so the will call it MAR as well
Gentlemen,
I am a ROAV board member. Due to business time contraints I missed the last board meeting so am not up to speed on the latest. The location for this years event was formally announced by the previous board and a contract/lease agreement signed with Mr.Catlett the land owner. The Catlett family had offered a large parcel of land close to the rally site thats currently in timber to be developed into a trail network for this years event. After 3+ mos of trying to coordinate with the family to meet @ and walk the property that finally happened in early June. We the club expressed our desire to immediately get on with scheduling work week ends to build some additional trails on the property . The family member who owns the parcel decided the third week of June that after discussing it with his legal counsel that he didn't want the legal liability. Since receiving that information the third week of June two other properties in the immediate vicinity have been looked @ and we have also been in contact with the owners of the Pearls Pond property. Having missed the last meeting due to travel I'm not sure what the latest is. Two or three of the other board members should make it to Rausch this weekend so I'll know more then.

What Mr. Crandall says above is increasingly true. Finding private lands in a county where such an event can be held is increasingly difficult. The 2009 event held in Bowling Green Virginia was on a large grain farm with lots of acreage and potential but that County actually put the kibosh on returning to that venue. Last years event held @ Willow Hill farm was all put together in about 8 weeks time and was great event except for the fact that after several inches of rain the night before the trails that weren't submerged or deemed of limits by land owners weren't challenging. My family was approached last year to host the event with camping on my property and the trails on my fathers. Having visited MAR @ Pearls Pond and @ Oak Ridge my father wouldn't even remotely consider it, and this is someone who has owned Land Rovers for most of the past 40 yrs.

The current elected board isn't averse to the Cove location @ all. I think one and all love the place.
The club will have had two events @ off road parks this year the Cove in May and Rausch Creek this weekend. This certainly isn't a case of the club not trying to cater to the off roading desires of it's membership. Clearly the job @ hand is to try to cater to the wants and desires of the membership and grow that membership.
Hopefully one of the other board members will respond with the latest.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Doug,
What kind of contract or lease does ROAV have with the Willow Hill land owner? I thought ROAV was not paying for that venue.

Also, if you missed a board meeting, why can't you just read the meeting minutes to get up to speed? Better yet, why can't the meeting minutes just be posted so all members know what is going on?
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Doug,
What kind of contract or lease does ROAV have with the Willow Hill land owner? I thought ROAV was not paying for that venue.

Also, if you missed a board meeting, why can't you just read the meeting minutes to get up to speed? Better yet, why can't the meeting minutes just be posted so all members know what is going on?
Dan last meeting/conf call was last night. Minutes are usually typed up and emailed before the next scheduled meeting for reference. The board has voted on and approved posting the minutes to the website forum section and its my understanding the minutes from this years board meetings have been given to Tommy the webmaster to post.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
stocker
Mack
1998 Disco 1 LSE

Hope you guys get something figured out. I have the weekend scheduled off at my new job in Pittsburgh, so Adam and I are hoping something worth while out east is gonna happen.

Scot
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Disappointing news.

The Willow Farm venue is not ideal for MAR, and while the additional 90 acres seems like an opportunity to scratch the 4-wheeling itch...it doesn't solve many of the problems with this site...it's like putting a bandaid over a gunshot wound.

I understand that the new BOD are dealing with cleaning up someone else's mess...but I wish the new BOD would just cut the losses to stop the bleeding, and make monumental strides to move the club forward...beginning with MAR this year.

Forget the buyout cost to get out of the Willow Farm contract...think about the opportunity dollars in rebuilding the MAR attendance and ROAV membership base.

Too much bad blood has been spilt over this MAR venue, and the previous two MAR venues...It's time to take true corrective action.
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Gentlemen,
I am a ROAV board member. Due to business time contraints I missed the last board meeting so am not up to speed on the latest. The location for this years event was formally announced by the previous board and a contract/lease agreement signed with Mr.Catlett the land owner. The Catlett family had offered a large parcel of land close to the rally site thats currently in timber to be developed into a trail network for this years event. After 3+ mos of trying to coordinate with the family to meet @ and walk the property that finally happened in early June. We the club expressed our desire to immediately get on with scheduling work week ends to build some additional trails on the property . The family member who owns the parcel decided the third week of June that after discussing it with his legal counsel that he didn't want the legal liability. Since receiving that information the third week of June two other properties in the immediate vicinity have been looked @ and we have also been in contact with the owners of the Pearls Pond property. Having missed the last meeting due to travel I'm not sure what the latest is. Two or three of the other board members should make it to Rausch this weekend so I'll know more then.

What Mr. Crandall says above is increasingly true. Finding private lands in a county where such an event can be held is increasingly difficult. The 2009 event held in Bowling Green Virginia was on a large grain farm with lots of acreage and potential but that County actually put the kibosh on returning to that venue. Last years event held @ Willow Hill farm was all put together in about 8 weeks time and was great event except for the fact that after several inches of rain the night before the trails that weren't submerged or deemed of limits by land owners weren't challenging. My family was approached last year to host the event with camping on my property and the trails on my fathers. Having visited MAR @ Pearls Pond and @ Oak Ridge my father wouldn't even remotely consider it, and this is someone who has owned Land Rovers for most of the past 40 yrs.

The current elected board isn't averse to the Cove location @ all. I think one and all love the place.
The club will have had two events @ off road parks this year the Cove in May and Rausch Creek this weekend. This certainly isn't a case of the club not trying to cater to the off roading desires of it's membership. Clearly the job @ hand is to try to cater to the wants and desires of the membership and grow that membership.
Hopefully one of the other board members will respond with the latest.
Thanks Doug, it is good to hear from somebody on the Board. I hope you guys have fun this weekend.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

The 90 additional acres of trails is either part of the mud bog course or next door to it. Google earth shows it as a pine forest with little elevation change. I can't imagine it will offer very much.

I don't get it.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Yea me either

I thought the Halloween event last year at the Cove was to gauge the response of the park for MAR. Everybody loved it John saw how great the facilities were and what happens we are back at PP. Then they have a secret event there the same weekend as a RC outing which went well apparently for the few trucks that attended and again this years MAR everything is kept secret till the very end.

The Wilds Crew has asked the attendees what they would like to see changed and already acted on it.

It is not like ROAV is new to the game they once had a decent event and now I can see them loosing it.

Dan I thought about what you said about MAR being at the Wilds and think maybe MAR should be a series with The Wilds being one of the events. ROTR Spring at RC Fall at the Cove, and NELR late summer in North NY Just a thought
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Scottg
Scott Garner
1992 RRC / 2007 BMW 335i

I will still be at MAR regardless but........

What about finding somewhere NEW for any event?!?

Rough Country (Jeep Suspension Manufacturer) recently held an event at the Black Mountain Off Road Park in Harlan, KY with great success.
Here are some videos from the Rough Country Event:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoughCou.../2/tVK4fV9VLEs
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoughCou.../4/lwU62J17RZk

My GF and I went for a weekend to Harlan and were so pleased that we bought 1 year passes (for the whopping $35 per truck) We camped at the Putney Trailhead because of their reputation on other boards and had a great time. They have the showers everyone wants. They have a large campground. They have cabins (with a/c and DirecTV). They have hook ups for RVs, Welder, Air, and other tools to accomodate the off road enthusiasts too.

The trail passes are $20 for a 30 day pass and the trails are maintained by the county. All are very well marked and color coded with obstacles that range from stock to buggies. This campground also has the only DIRECT access to the trailswith NO highway travel.

This would be a great host for an event with such a wide range of amenities to cater to all enthusiats. The Putney Trailhead staff is more than accepting of events with great rates for everyone.

Putney Trailead site:
http://www.harlancountycampground.com/

Black Mountain Off Road Park:
http://www.harlancountytrails.com/blackmountain.php

I realize that this does not accomodate the NoVa / Richmond crowds but seldom do any ROAV events accomodate the SW Va members and this is 30 miles into KY from the border. I'm not saying that ROAV should hold MAR here but an event would be nice.

Hope to see you all on the trails.

Scott
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

It does not benefit the Richmond crowd, so it will not happen. The Cove in Gore,VA would be a much better venue, comparable to Harlin, but ROAV decided not to move the event.

I'll be skipping mar. Again.
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Scottg
Scott Garner
1992 RRC / 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
The Cove in Gore,VA would be a much better venue, comparable to Harlin
I've never been to The Cove so I have no basis for comparison..... If this is true I will be heading to the next event there! FWIW... I was really hoping you would be at MAR2011
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottg View Post
I've never been to The Cove so I have no basis for comparison..... If this is true I will be heading to the next event there! FWIW... I was really hoping you would be at MAR2011
I wish I was, too. I took the days off work and planned to go. I'm just not excited about the MAR location this year. It sounds like a lot of folks are not too excited about the MAR location this year. Form what I understand there is a pretty large group skipping MAR and heading to Uwharrie instead later in October (Oct. 21st weekend). Maybe Uwharrie is the new MAR.
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would love to do that trip but too far south for me... I wish more events were planned up north a bit... Actually I don't think the cove would be that bad of a ride but I don't want to go any further south anymore. After the last year haul to MAR it was just not worth the ride in a monsoon rain storm. I got very aggravated.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Randy, come to ROTR at Rausch Creek in November
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:12 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I can't wait to kick your ass this year on the rock course.
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
I can't wait to kick your ass this year on the rock course.
There is a better chance Mrs Chapman will do that instead you *LOL*
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Gustavo, I call co-pilot!
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Gustavo, I call co-pilot!
Of course.... you need to be there again, so we take another trophy
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
I wish I was, too. I took the days off work and planned to go. I'm just not excited about the MAR location this year. It sounds like a lot of folks are not too excited about the MAR location this year. Form what I understand there is a pretty large group skipping MAR and heading to Uwharrie instead later in October (Oct. 21st weekend). Maybe Uwharrie is the new MAR.
i'm not going to MAR for the first time since 02, kinda bummed really but last two were so disappointing I just can't spend the time on that event until it is a good venue.
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier

I would love to make it.. Maybe just for a day trip.... The wife will be due any day with child #2 then...

I thinks it's only about 2.5 hrs from me...not bad at all

Randy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events