Mar 2011 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

View Poll Results: You going to MAR 2011?
I'm going 20 46.51%
Would go if they moved the location 9 20.93%
Not going 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I would love to make MAR one year but every time the event goes off and I hear the feedback on the trails I'm glad I stayed home. I've done the Rovers on the Rocks at RC and had a great time. Plus I can make it over to PA in a couple of hours. If I am going to use a "get out of the house for a weekend" pass and give up time from the kids it's going to have to be an amazing event and for me needs to have good trail and wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
I will likely go.

Im going down early as I have a line on another property near MAR that me and a small group (4)will be allowed to run.
You got any parts I might want you to bring?
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Hopefully we can get a little caravan from NY/NJ to head down there as I've been looking forward to this event from even just the shear perspective of wanting to meet a bunch of people from the board I've spoken to but never met in person. Also to see those again I've met before, to have some challenging trails that always seem to bring some of the smaller groups a little closer together by the end of the day, to learn a bit more from the more experienced, and to tell lies around the campfire. It'd be nice to also see some of those again who have had kids this past year, and those with new (to them) trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
What is a mar?
That place you go every year around october

I don't go because of the wheeling (it's a nice to have) so I'll likely be there as usual.
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Hopefully the Williow Hill Farm will offer significantly more challenging terrane, including intermediate to advanced trails specifically.

While I have truly enjoyed attending MAR since 2004, even though I live in North Jersey, disappointingly this may be the first year I won't be attending.

Call me crazy, but I don't feel the need to "compromise" when it comes to enjoying personal time. I equally enjoy comradery and putting my rig/skills to the test during an event.

It is my hope that ROAV will create a MAR that will appeal to these two non-conflicting interests...it is this that makes for an amazing event and MAR's overwhelming success in years past.
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Will likely be there having missed out on the past year and some change of wheeling; but going more for the people than anything else. Also gives a great deadline for finishing the new truck that is almost feasible.
r-
Ray
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:08 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Hopefully the Williow Hill Farm will offer significantly more challenging terrane, including intermediate to advanced trails specifically.
It doesn't. They will need to develop something else nearby for people to be able to wheel.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:15 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Just a little something I've noticed.

Some of the people who claim they go to MAR for the people and not the trails seems to be the same folks who claim a place like the Cove is too "Hardcore" for their ability. If you're not going for the trails anyway, what does it matter if the trails are too hard for you or your truck? So why complain?

It's just an observation and really does not mean anything. But it is strange.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
The Cove has trails totally stock friendly.

During ROAV Halloween event, I helped guiding the run and no carnage and everyone made it safe to camp.

The real downer for me is travelling so many hours just to hang out ( no wheeling per se ).

Now, it quite bother me that many, many people who complaint about MAR last years are not expressing the frustration,.... I know they've complained to me about driving that long for no trails, like what the hell is ROAV just for the Richmond and south area members , etc ....

I truly believe the BOD of ROAV will listen to said expressions and act upon, but if people keeps quiet, they shouldn't bitch if things do not change.
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Last year MAR sucked real bad for trails. I do like seeing all you southern guys, but shit if im driving that far why not have some good wheeling too? I didn't buy a Land Rover to park it at the mall and hang out with the Honda guys. I like sitting around the camp and chatting it up with everyone late at night but I really like it when we get to wheel together... then chat about it around the camp fire.

I see a lot of guys up north at all the events, but only see the other half down at MAR. Seriously it can't be that hard to hold a good event. All we need is a good amount of trails and a place to put a tent up. I felt like last year they gave me a clearing to put my tent up and thats about it.
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:14 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Maybe someone can arrange a Sat run to Crozet?
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo View Post
How would that be perceived for highly modified trucks to be on the roads to go wheeling?

IIRC, the 2009 MAR, forced us to take county roads for 2-3miles to get to the trails, I am not an advocate of Drinking and driving, and saw lots of it on public roads, NOW, if some Rover person is drunk and goes on the road and kills themselves ( I don't care ) but what if an innocent life is taken.

Lets all communicate with Doug, Dan Rao, Mike, Keeney, Sparky, Mark G and whomever else is involved and express our desires. If the place is already locked, then it is, if not, maybe a new venue will be chosen.

------ Follow up post added July 12th, 2011 10:56 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Last year MAR sucked real bad for trails. I do like seeing all you southern guys, but shit if im driving that far why not have some good wheeling too? I didn't buy a Land Rover to park it at the mall and hang out with the Honda guys. I like sitting around the camp and chatting it up with everyone late at night but I really like it when we get to wheel together... then chat about it around the camp fire.

I see a lot of guys up north at all the events, but only see the other half down at MAR. Seriously it can't be that hard to hold a good event. All we need is a good amount of trails and a place to put a tent up. I felt like last year they gave me a clearing to put my tent up and thats about it.
I agree
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo View Post
Better be running crozet while you have the chance...
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:30 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post

Lets all communicate with Doug, Dan Rao, Mike, Keeney, Sparky, Mark G and whomever else is involved and express our desires. If the place is already locked, then it is, if not, maybe a new venue will be chosen.
They're too big of pussies to make an decisions. They know Willow Hill sucks already.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Other than the cove, is there anywhere in the state that is developed enough to handle a large group of people and has a decent trail system?
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I know you guys don't want to hear this the trails at Oakridge were nice. I met more people there than any other event. Mostly because you signed up to wheel and other people you never met signed up at that time also. Don't get me wrong I like wheeling with people who I know their strengths and weaknesses are. but it also nice to learn about other people. Ya see if I had just read the fourm postings. I would have said that F***ing Chapman was a total asshole. Now that I met him I know he is. LOL just kiddin from what I seen in person he might be alright.
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The big problem with Oak Ridge is the Cost of the venue. Throw in the cost of the trail guides and it becomes too expensive, not to mention the dislike of having to use trail guides. Don't get me wrong, I run at Oak Ridge when ever I can, but until they change how they run the operation I do not think it is a doable thing for MAR. Yes I agree the trails at Willow Farm are a little lame. I will still be going to see people I haven't seen in a while, but then again it is about an hour from the house. I hope some other trails will become available? One can hope... Yes, Dan I know....
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Oakridge would be an excellent venue for a Mar or any other event. Lots of trails for all levels of Mods. Who gives a Rats ass if the trails were guided, every group has a leed truck anyway, and those guys knew the trails, had the keys , and were very helpful. I would love the chance to get back there again.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
Oakridge would be an excellent venue for a Mar or any other event. Lots of trails for all levels of Mods. Who gives a Rats ass if the trails were guided, every group has a leed truck anyway, and those guys knew the trails, had the keys , and were very helpful. I would love the chance to get back there again.
i agree 100% loved everything except the rover nazis that wouldn't let us keep our tow vehicles in the infield with our camp. that was bs.
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Yea I liked Oakridge, get rid of the flowers and the Grey Poupon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events