Mar 2010 - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Dave I think Dan would classify you as one of the Metamucil topers.

Now I don't know Dan at all except for his writing here, and based on that I think Dan would be happy to be on the ROAV board as long as the board consisted of Dan and Dan alone, and everybody did as he said. At present he is bashing an organization that is trying to make something from nothing while his event consists of him making a phone call or two and then standing by with his hand out. I can do that! Hey everybody I'm starting a new event called Bill's Excellent Adventure. It will be at the Cove campground the weekend after Thanksgiving and it will only cost you all $15 each to come in addition to the cost of camping. There, Done.
Now I'm not saying that the ROAV folks are golden or anything but they are trying. There's just something about the event that is intangible that makes it near and dear to us.

>>Naaa. I disagree. MAR attendance has been down 5-years running. It's dying of slow death. Soon you're just going to have the Good 'Ol Boys from Richmond sitting around a table passing shots of Metamucil talking about how MAR used to be back on Mayland Farm. <<

It'll still be the MAR, regardless of whether it's your cuppa or not. And I'm not picking up any soap with you girls around...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Really? Bill, you've never even been to Pearl's Pond, or any MAR that I can remember except for one back in the day at Penlan Farm. So what the frack are YOU talking about? In fact, I still can't recall any other LR event you have even been to, besides NOVA HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Dave I think Dan would classify you as one of the Metamucil topers.

Now I don't know Dan at all except for his writing here, and based on that I think Dan would be happy to be on the ROAV board as long as the board consisted of Dan and Dan alone, and everybody did as he said. At present he is bashing an organization that is trying to make something from nothing while his event consists of him making a phone call or two and then standing by with his hand out. I can do that! Hey everybody I'm starting a new event called Bill's Excellent Adventure. It will be at the Cove campground the weekend after Thanksgiving and it will only cost you all $15 each to come in addition to the cost of camping. There, Done.
Now I'm not saying that the ROAV folks are golden or anything but they are trying. There's just something about the event that is intangible that makes it near and dear to us.

>>Naaa. I disagree. MAR attendance has been down 5-years running. It's dying of slow death. Soon you're just going to have the Good 'Ol Boys from Richmond sitting around a table passing shots of Metamucil talking about how MAR used to be back on Mayland Farm. <<

It'll still be the MAR, regardless of whether it's your cuppa or not. And I'm not picking up any soap with you girls around...
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

what Rover vendors have signed onto MAR this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Really? Bill, you've never even been to Pearl's Pond, or any MAR that I can remember except for one back in the day at Penlan Farm. So what the frack are YOU talking about? In fact, I still can't recall any other LR event you have even been to, besides NOVA HH.

Life gets in the way of having fun. First Mom got sick, now Dad's 96 and a real handful sometimes. Then there was the two years I spent taking the 109 apart and putting it back together and then....well....

1968 2A 88

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Now I don't know Dan at all except for his writing here, and based on that I think Dan would be happy to be on the ROAV board as long as the board consisted of Dan and Dan alone, and everybody did as he said.
Actually, I think the Board of Directors are a waste of time. This is a Land Rover club and not a Fortune 500 company, why do they need a Board of Directors?

All the BOD's do is cause problems for the officers. There is no reason, at all, to have eleven decision makers. When you have eleven people all gathered around trying to fuck a football things do not go as smoothly as they should. It does not matter if you're making funeral arrangements and you've got eleven family members all voicing their opinion; eleven students in an FFA class about to put together a picnic table; or if you're planning a Land Rover event, eleven people in charge is too many.

Like I said earlier; there are two people in charge of planning the SCARR event and there are four people in charge of planning the National Rally. I'm sure these coordinators delegate responsibilities to interested club members to get shit done, but the decision making is simplified 175%.

So you're right, Bill Adams, you have no clue as to who I am or what I'm about. You have no idea at all. You're also wrong thinking I'd be happy to be a ROAV board member. In case you have not figured it out by now, the ROAV board IS the problem with ROAV. If you haven't caught on to that by now there is no hope for you.

Quote:
At present he is bashing an organization that is trying to make something from nothing while his event consists of him making a phone call or two and then standing by with his hand out. I can do that! Hey everybody I'm starting a new event called Bill's Excellent Adventure. It will be at the Cove campground the weekend after Thanksgiving and it will only cost you all $15 each to come in addition to the cost of camping. There, Done.
First of all, I'm not making a cent off the Cove event. All registration money (all $20.00 of it) is going directly to Garrett to help pay the insurance fee. The past two years Garrett has paid money out of his own pocket for insurance because the nominal fee he charges attendees does not cover the insurance premium.

I could easily make money off this event. I own a t-shirt business and I could sell t-shirts for $10 or $15ea to make money. Will Tillery is buying a pig and a keg of beer and I'm using my smoker to cook it; I could charge $6.00 per sandwich just like ROAV did last year at MAR to make money. I own a plotter/cutter and I could make stickers to sell to make money. I have a dye sublimation printer where I could make dash plaques, key chains, pens, golf balls, wine openers, or what ever little piss-ant shit ROAV sells at MAR to make money whether individually or hidden within the registration fee. If I wanted to make money off the Cove, I could. Easy. But despite what you think I'm not making a cent. I know it's hard for you to understand but I'm doing this because I want to and because I think it's a necessary evil to keep ROAV in check so another MAR 2008 never happens again. Whether you think it's working or not is a mute point because I know for a fact it's working.

Second, I'm glad ROAV is building something from nothing. I'm very happy for that. ROAV building a new venue is not the issue here. The issue is it's 6-weeks from GO time and not a single thing has been done. ROAV plans to have this new property built up and ready to go in 6-weeks and only working on it on the weekend.

Shit, I hope they do not get rain one weekend! If they'll cancel a business meeting for a 4wd club because of a little snow, who knows what they'll do if they get rain on a trail clean-up weekend.

But look around, Bill Adams, the ROAV web site is dead today, MAR registration is not even present, and a single trail at the new location has not been touched. This is all a result of a lack of communication, a lack of planning, and a result of poor decision making. It's all because eleven people are all standing around trying to fuck that football.

Quote:
I'll agree with you that SOME are trying. I have some good friends who are ROAV officers and I have some good friends who are past ROAV board members. These people understand, for the most part, that my comments are not personal to them. My comments are just a fact as to how things are run within that club. I know some are trying, but others need to just go away. John Tackley is one that needs to just go away. The ROAV Treasure is one that just needs to go away. There are others that need to go away, but these are the two big ones.

I know what you're saying about MAR being near and dear, as gay as that sounds. I liked MAR until 2008 when Jeeps came in to be trail guides. Jeep trail guides at a Land Rover rally.....that sounds fucking genius. And I can't wait until MAR is back to normal. Obviously it's not going to happen this year.

I have also made it a point not to support any ROAV function until John Tackley is removed from office. John Tackley took it upon himself to access the ROAV member directory and post members personal information, including name, address, phone numbers, and email addresses, on the Internet in web forums. At that time the ROAV management supported this, including both the Board of Directors and the Officers. As long as ROAV continues to support John Tackley, I will not support ROAV.

------ Follow up post added August 11th, 2010 09:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
LMAO!!!! So this Bill Adams guy is just an Internet web poser? Fuck me, I got sucked in.... I thought this was a regular MAR attendee who knew a little something about what he was talking about...only to find out he's a web poser.

Such a disappointment.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
only to find out he's a web poser.

guilty as charged. I know nothing, I'm only 14 and I can't even drive yet.

But I haven't called you names...

1968 2A 88

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Sounds like our Government. I'm all for "less is more" when you have to organize something
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You guys usually take off that Friday and then come back Sunday?

------ Follow up post added August 11th, 2010 11:13 AM ------

Or do you take off Thursday and Friday?
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:07 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

wed thurs fri sat sun and sometimes, monday
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"fuck a football" I love that phrase. The images it conjures up are priceless. Who goes first? Or is that the point?
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

Yep. Depending on event, Thursday gives a chance to run without the clusterfuck.
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
Yep. Depending on event, Thursday gives a chance to run without the clusterfuck.
And to get a camping spot that doesn't suck.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How is it that my thread got totally Hi Jacked??? I posted it to see how was going to MAR and so people can get there itinerary straight and plan for the trip.. Keep your other opinions and EVENTS on your own fuckin post.. 4 out of 5 of these pages are full of a bunch of ranting bull shit...
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
How is it that my thread got totally Hi Jacked??? I posted it to see how was going to MAR and so people can get there itinerary straight and plan for the trip.. Keep your other opinions and EVENTS on your own fuckin post.. 4 out of 5 of these pages are full of a bunch of ranting bull shit...
Cry me a river, pussy.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Eat me jerk off... Seems like the only Cove is between your legs..
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Randy-- We're doing MAR, leaving Wednesday late night.. between midnight-2am.. try to get there Thursday when it opens to grab a good spot, then catch a nap... you're welcome to join the caravan down. We would definitely do The Cove as well if it was a different weekend... I've enjoyed a few MARs now w/o letting any of the political BS getting in the way.. I go, I wheel, I drink, I pass out, then repeat... the easier wheeling is preferred when I have to drive 6+ hours to get home.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Eat me jerk off... Seems like the only Cove is between your legs..
Forget your Metamucil today? Or did you forget it on purpose so you could go for the enema?
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post
Randy-- We're doing MAR, leaving Wednesday late night.. between midnight-2am.. try to get there Thursday when it opens to grab a good spot, then catch a nap... you're welcome to join the caravan down. We would definitely do The Cove as well if it was a different weekend... I've enjoyed a few MARs now w/o letting any of the political BS getting in the way.. I go, I wheel, I drink, I pass out, then repeat... the easier wheeling is preferred when I have to drive 6+ hours to get home.

Ryan, put me on the caravan e-mails if you guys are circulating them as we get closer.

Gmail: joshua.oneill
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Forget your Metamucil today? Or did you forget it on purpose so you could go for the enema?

Maybe one day you can post something useful to the board... Instead of just wasting space and everyones time... If you want to argue and complain.. go to the disco web.... grow up...

Ryan, I will keep you posted when we leave.. Usually about 4 of us leave together...
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Maybe one day you can post something useful to the board... Instead of just wasting space and everyones time... If you want to argue and complain.. go to the disco web.... grow up....
Good post!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events