Mar 2010 - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I know this is going to sound stupid, but where would this be located?
if you gotta ask, then I doubt you'll be shown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I felt the same, then Mr Wolf Fab fucked me over on some lug nuts a couple weeks back. Hopefully we'll meet at MAR or The Cove and he can restore my faith in the network of small businesses and enthusiasts that make D-90 Source a great place.
I am understanding you! this used to be a safehaven in the rover world where we were attached with a brotherhood and you didn't have to worry about getting dicked over by members. I am trying to work out an issue with a member and hopefully he will do the right thing. I don't want to threaten and all that bullshit I hope he will do right, but I won't let it die.
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216 View Post
.....I too was invited to the new location and saw it first hand. Dan is picking a fight because as has been mentioned, there are no trails at the moment. This year isn't going to be the greatest MAR ever, but it will get there again........
I am not siding with anyone , ( and I do like Chick, Christina, John, Eric, Ray and few others ) but let's call it as it really is.

Last year MAR we were told the same .... NEXT YEAR will be better and we can build........ , now I know we lost the last site due to some tax issues, but, do we have a LONG TERM CONTRACT with the new site, so next year we are not swimming in the same waters?
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Gus,
Don't forget 2008 when they said the MAR was going to be the premier Land Rover event. They were "taking it to another level", lol. They took it to a new level alright.....
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Gus,
Don't forget 2008 when they said the MAR was going to be the premier Land Rover event. They were "taking it to another level", lol. They took it to a new level alright.....
Shower trailer, 10 different t-shirts, winston churchill dinner, bill burke playing harmonica over the PA system... yeah it was definitely a whole new direction.
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Jonathan has treated me well in the past...and some people have different views of usable. But, if you aren't happy, you should get all your money back. Why would someone burn a member here over $50? Especially as a Vendor?

Old August 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Jon

He is fabbing my rack right now and was very user friendly to work with. I have talked to several other people that have done business with him in the past and none of them had anything bad to say about him.

Im sorry to hear the lug nut issue didnt work out for you, it might have been a misunderstanding.
If youre really strapped for a few extra lug nuts I might be able to find you some in my spare parts box, otherwise they usually come up on here fairly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968 View Post
Meh, I'll defend Johnathan a little bit seeing as he let me show up this house at 9pm give him $250 cash out of $900 and take 5 KM2s on wheel (the wheels, which were going to another member) and go on my word that I was going to send the rest of the dollars to him in a few days.

All of this being after meeting him for all of 10 minutes.

But don't get me wrong, I know nothing of your situation, Crown.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
Mark you are welcome to camp by us at MAR. I will have the whole family again. We do camp in a larger group but are laid back, if we wanna get roudy we know the camps to visit. My wife would be out forever if I didn't make it so. By the way did you see the pictures of your kids playing with mine at Uwharrie? If not I can send you the link.
Thanks Aaron. I'll be bringing one or two other families with us. We'll look for you when we roll in. Hopefully there will be something open nearby.

To be clear, rigs coming and going all night long on trail runs don't bother us. Neither do camps working on their rigs, or sitting by the fire talking. Even light music doesn't bother us. But those guys were something completely different at 3AM. Even in college, in my fraternity, half of the fraternity house would have got up and thrown those guys out.

I did see those pics on the CROC forum by the way. Thanks!
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
If youre really strapped for a few extra lug nuts I might be able to find you some in my spare parts box, otherwise they usually come up on here fairly cheap.
Thanks Steve, but I got some from Pedro that worked out great.
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Good morning. The weekend is this weekend, I should have been clearer. :D We will be meeting at the farm, Mike Boggs and I will be getting started at 8am, along with everyone who comes to lend a hand. Mike has laid out some stuff on paper to use what is there and build out, so we will be clearing trails with loppers and a chainsaw occasionally, as well as moving downed trees and such. There are a few ATV trails and wooded areas to start with. We will work until 3-4, and if we can corral the troops we will work more on Sunday. Plan to bring gloves, sturdy pants, machetes, loppers and chainsaws. It will be 90% work this weekend in order to get some options out there for the MAR. Eric has also worked out a deal to use the nearby Mud Course for some trails and obstacle course work. I will try to get some pics of that up soon.

Meet up will be just inside the gate at the farm, driving directions are as follows:
from 64, take the I-20 exit south through Scottsville about 7 miles south, turn left onto Bridge Port Rd, Rt 652. about a 3.8 miles down,
take a left on to Paynes Pond Road rt 679. after about a mile,
take a right onto Paynes Rd. rt 784. in about 8/10 of a mile, you will come to the gate at the end of the road, and that is the farm.

If the gate is closed, it will be unlocked, let yourself through and close it behind you. We will be meeting in the field just past the gate to the right. IF you are coming late, we will try to keep a lookout for you, or you can call my cell at 434-227-7900. I have Verizon coverage over most of the farm. It will be buggy, bring sunscreen and your favorite DEET product.

You do not need to be a trained woodsman to help out, we will be hanging trail signs, moving brush and many things that would benefit from an extra set of hands. We will break for lunch by the river. :P Please RSVP here or email me if you plan to attend so I can plan and make sure not to leave anyone stranded at the gate.

------ Follow up post added August 9th, 2010 08:55 AM ------

Also, I will be happy to answer any questions as best I can on the forums at www.roav.org so as not to drag the debates out here, and so I do not have to answer some of the same ones in two or three spots. Thanks for the support.
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Fixed it for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post

Also, I will be happy to answer any questions as best I can, even if I'm only telling you what you want to hear and not the entire story, on the forums at www.roav.org. We do not like debates, so by posting on the ROAV forum not only do I not have to answer some of the same questions in two or three spots, but I can edit/delete the questions or comments we at ROAV do not like to answer. Furthermore, I can edit/delete messages we at ROAV do not want you to know about. Thanks for the support.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
We will see how it all shakes out, but I have a feeling that the Cove event will have more attendees due to its proximity to the DC area. It sure seems that the MD, DC,VA area supplies a lot of people to the MAR and if these folk stay away....well, it won't be what we want/hope it will be.
It's sorta like those TV spots for Ally Bank, where the grown up asks a little girl "Do you want a pony?" "Oh yes, I want a pony!" and he hands her a toy. Then a second child he offers a pony also and she gets a real live pony. "I didn't know I could have a real pony" first girl says..."Well, you didn't ask...."

In any case, Dan should reduce the political rhetoric before he turns everyone off. He has already made clear his position. Continued debate is unnecessary.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
In any case, Dan should reduce the political rhetoric before he turns everyone off. He has already made clear his position. Continued debate is unnecessary.
We were talking about this Saturday over a few bottles of wine, and one of the ROAV officers said the exact same thing.

However, it's not my intention to have the biggest and best event. My intentions are to draw attention to ROAV and the way ROAV operates. If I only had 10-trucks show up to the Cove I would be perfectly happy with that as I'm not making a single cent off this.

There is no doubt the Cove has grown in attendance this year. The response has been great. But it's not going to beat a MAR attendance. No way. MAR will still pull 150 to 200 trucks, but I do think it will be less than the last 5-years. It's just not looking good for MAR this year and, IMO, the blame for that lies with the mastermind who chose the property with no trails, who ever that may be.

I could stop the political rhetoric, and I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy, including ROAV officers. But that's not part of my agenda.

The best thing that could happen for ROAV this year is to cancel the MAR event. They're clearly not ready to have an event at this new property this year. They've got 6-weeks to pull this off and registration is not even open yet. If the MAR event even happens someone would have really pulled something out of their ass.

ROAV could learn something from Texas Rovers who have already announced their MAR-type event, and who have already announced that registration will be open the first week of January. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...197&ref=search The trails have already been cut, too.
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Really...Cancel the event would be the best thing for MAR?...
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Really...Cancel the event would be the best thing for MAR?...
We're 6-weeks away and they're about as organized as a bunch of 3-year olds planning an attack on the toy chest at daycare. MAR, for the last dozen years or more, is not just a group of people from in-and-around Richmond, VA. It's over 150 trucks coming from 100's of miles away. If these people get to MAR and find an unorganized event, with no trails, they'll be hesitant to come back next year.

Their planning sucked this year. I don't know who in ROAV is to blame for this lack of motivation, but it's the witching hour.....and they still do not even have registration set up. Trails should have been started on months ago. Plus all of the stuff that goes into a MAR-type event, like shitters, entertainment, food, tents, t-shirts, etc...I have a feeling none of that is done yet.

Look at the schedule for this event. This event is not until October 19th, but they've already got a schedule:

Quote:
About
2010 Land Rover National Rally

Moab Utah October 19th – 23rd, 2010

Online Registration Now Available: View Information Here
Schedule

Trail Day Reminder:
Gas up night before, bring sunscreen, water, Gatorade, food, tools, spares of everything, first-aid kit.
Please do a full safety inspection of your vehicle before and after each trail.

Tuesday October 19th

4:00- 8:00 PM Registration at Old Spanish Trail Arena
Address: 3641 S Hwy 191, Moab, UT 84532

6:00 PM Night Run – Fins n Things (tentative).
Meet at City Market

Wednesday October 20th

7:00-8:00 AM Registration at Old Spanish Trail Arena

7:00-8:00 AM Trail Selection and Line-Up at Old Spanish Trail Arena.
Trail end times will vary depending upon trail chosen.

8:00 AM Training Class (very popular)
Description: New to four wheeling or new to your Land Rover then this is the class for you. Includes safe recovery training, what gear to carry, when and how to operate 4-wheel drive/lock, and much more.

Thursday October 21st

7:00-8:00 AM Registration at Old Spanish Trail Arena

7:00-8:00 AM Trail Selection and Line-Up at Old Spanish Trail Arena.

7:00-9:00 PM Cocktail Party at Sunset Grill
Address: Utah 900 North Main Street (Highway 191 North end of Moab).
An array of appetizers will be served. Each registered adult may receive two complimentary adult beverages. Note: If you are wheeling the Golden Spike Trail, keep time out breaks as short as possible or you could miss the cocktail party.

Friday October 22nd

“MOSTLY” OPEN DAY – NO TRAILS
See the sights of Moab, Shop, Mingle with friends, Ride a bike…(what to do)

4:00-8:00 P.M. Afternoon “CAR SHOW”, “VENDOR SHOWCASE and RAFFLE” at the Old Spanish Trail Arena. This event is not to be missed!
Sandwiches, chips and soda will be served.
Wash (or not) your Land Rover and show it off during the CAR SHOW.
RAFFLE: Raffle tickets may be purchased during Tue, Wed or Thurs registrations and also during this event up until 15 minutes before the Raffle.

Saturday October 23rd

7:00-8:00 AM Registration at Spanish Arena

7:00-8:00 AM Trails Selection and Line-Up at Old Spanish Trail Arena.

7:00-9:00 PM Closing Banquet at the Grand Center.
Address: 182 N 500 W, Moab, UT 84532
The National is over 2-months away. MAR is 6-weeks away. Yet, the National is already planned, and MAR does not even have trails or registration yet.

Solihull has 4-officers/board members. ROAV has 11 officers/board members. Why is it that Solihull can get more shit done with 4-people than ROAV can get done with 11? FWIW, Texas Rovers puts 2 event coordinators in charge of their SCARR event.

I'm sure there will be a Mid-Atlantic Rally this year. But I think MAR as we knew it is dead. The ROAV Board of Directors are going to need to pull their heads out of their asses before MAR ever makes a comeback. The 11-people in charge can't get along long enough to get something done.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Thing is the MAR would happen even if it were being run by Sea Monkeys. Management concerns are one thing, but it's kinda developed its own critical mass and were it to be put on in a Wal Mart parking lot with 8 hours lead time, people would still come. Even if there were no porta potties, or trails or anything. Think Who-ville at Christmas time.
I think it's a little early to start writing a eulogy.

1968 2A 88

Old August 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Thing is the MAR would happen even if it were being run by Sea Monkeys. Management concerns are one thing, but it's kinda developed its own critical mass and were it to be put on in a Wal Mart parking lot with 8 hours lead time, people would still come. Even if there were no porta potties, or trails or anything. Think Who-ville at Christmas time.
I think it's a little early to start writing a eulogy.
Naaa. I disagree. MAR attendance has been down 5-years running. It's dying of slow death. Soon you're just going to have the Good 'Ol Boys from Richmond sitting around a table passing shots of Metamucil talking about how MAR used to be back on Mayland Farm.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Naaa. I disagree

How come I knew you would?
Can't say I will be at either event. The elderly parent thing, y'know.

1968 2A 88

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

I believe we can all agree that:
(1) ROAV members expect an annual wheeling/social MAR event
(2) MAR is going to happen this year
(3) ROAV will not stop until they identify a location that is long-term, unique and tries to replicate the environment that has helped to make ROAV/MAR successful in years past
(4) All of the MAR/ROAV bashing has and will likely continue to go a long way to drive down MAR expectations...leading to a potentially more successful MAR event this year and beyond.

Additionally, I believe its indisputable that no matter the challenges ROAV faces to pull off MAR this year, they stand to lose significantly more members if they don't try at all.

Lastly, I vote to nominate Dan as a member of the ROAV board. Dan clearly has a passion and vision for what a great MAR event looks like and to not embrace his desire, discipline and determination would be foolish. If Dan chooses not to accept a ROAV Board position, he should forever hold his peace.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
This is a really great thread and I hope that we can all continue to discuss the finer points of MAR. I would like to add that some of the early MAR's when we were still on Penlan Farm were really the best. The trails through the hunting camp down the road from Penlan were really fun, especially at night. The year we put a melted Baby Ruth in the feely meely box was one of the best. And that guy from PA with the badly blown head gasket that was sleeping under his truck, and talking about washing the pimples on his ass using the same brown soap that Russ Dushin just used to wash his hands. Flipping my 88 on its side in a stream with 9 pints of Virginia microbrew in me and the jackass in front of me parking right in the middle of the trail at 2am and going to sleep in his truck. Staying up until 4am, Spenny channeling his ancestors after too much Scotch, pelting the porta-loos with potato cannons, Will Park with his WUT ROAD license plate, out on the trails with too many people piled into his 88 taking every obstacle at speed to compensate for the bald tires. Discos were only a couple years old and still cost real money. There was even a guy from LRNA with a brand new P38 RR that went pirouetting down one of the hills. That was classic. Those were the days, man. Pearl's Pond was good too, but not the same. Better in some ways, but more confined, more constrained, and too many plushy wagons on street tires clogging up the trails. 2007 MAR was pretty good, back to a more manageable size. 2002 was another good one, lots of fun that year. The point is, there is more to MAR than just trails. And that is a good thing. I think it will survive, I hope, it will turn into something better. Anyway, I'm rambling here. Where's that brown soap?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events