Mar 2010 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post

Josh, do you have boost wheels on your 90?

Nope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I plugged in the coordinates for the 2010 MAR on mapquest and as you can see its about a mile or so upstream of the Pearls Pond site. You can zoom in and look at the aerial image to get a preview of the property. It looks like there is a big patch of woods on the southeast corner - hard to tell what kind of stuff might be there.

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&formtype=address&latlon gtype=degrees&latdeg=37&latmin=44&latsec=25&longde g=-78&longmin=26&longsec=24

What does look intriguing is that big patch of raw land right across the river at the end of Napier Lane - maybe the ROAV folks should try to see who owns that land...
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I plan to be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968 View Post
I'm just saying, not trying to start an arguement, but "a few atv trails that need to be widened" doesn't cover much, I was looking for a more number related answer. I know not everything has been cut/scouted/decided on, but I'm sure someone has a roundabout number they are willing to throw out there. 30 trails? 40? 50?

Let me put it this way, I have to give 1 months notice on work for any leave, I'd like to be able to weigh my options.

If you are looking for tons of well laid out trails go to the Cove its a private ORV park and far more time and money has been lavished on the trails to make them appeal to clubs with everything from stock trucks to crawler buggies.

The Pearls Pond property that was so popular was only around 400 acres and didn't have anywhere near 30 trails. I'm looking forward to finding out the old 130's limits @ this new venue.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
The Pearls Pond property that was so popular was only around 400 acres and didn't have anywhere near 30 trails. I'm looking forward to finding out the old 130's limits @ this new venue.
That was the problem to start with; MAR got too big for the Pearls Pond property and the coordinators were chomping at the bit to get a new venue. So, they tried, failed; tried again, and failed. All along the way spending YOUR club dues and event fees. Today, they have absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing.

So the cycle starts over again. Another rented property they hope to call home for a few years, just like last year. They'll dump in some money, lots of time, grow the event, and get stuck in the same situation they were in 4-years ago with rutted out muddy trails and traffic jams that take hours to get through.

At least the new property has river front. River front comes in handy at a Rover event.

OR

They could move the event to a private ORV park that has had far more time and money lavished on the trails to make them appeal to clubs with everything from stock trucks to crawler buggies where they could take their Defender 110 to the limits and beyond. Maybe even to the moon.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Tracey .. I know.. your like the challenge of listening to Ray as he rescued your ass out of that TINY LITTLE MUD HOLE *LMAO*

I kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post

Jeezzz, a pretty simple question. I'll try this way. With an event that will most likely host over 200 trucks,(less the ones going to the cove), it would be nice to know the quanity and quality of the trails for this site. I am sure you guys have taken this into consideration, since the last few new venues (since Pearls pond) have been adequate. Not everyone wheels stock trucks, some of us like the challenge.
Its a damn shame that there has to be 2 events on the same dates, but thats out of my control. I have had a blast at every event I have been at no matter how large or small. I can only hope there will be alot of trails with alot of obstacle's, and as always every level of mods and experince considered.
My $.02

------ Follow up post added August 3rd, 2010 10:58 AM ------

Josh, do you have boost wheels on your 90?
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Looks like I'm going!
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

looking forward to it. this will be number 12 or 13 for me. what a lot of miles and money I have have spent over the years, been fun though.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Anyone can go to an ORV park whenever they want, unique properties make things better IMHO as they are only open for events like this ie once or twice a year.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

You're right, Ron. But you missed the boat completely.

Doug was referring to the Cove. The Cove is privately owned and family operated. The 4x4 trails are not open to just anyone. You can't just show up there to wheel. It's a unique opportunity. They just also happen to offer comfortable camping all on the same site.

There are lots of reasons why a property such as the Cove outweigh the current MAR situation 30:1. The terrain alone is better than anything else ROAV has ever offered before.

.....well, that's not even fair to say, I guess, since the new MAR location does not even have trails.
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

I agree 100% Ron-

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Anyone can go to an ORV park whenever they want, unique properties make things better IMHO as they are only open for events like this ie once or twice a year.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
I agree 100% Ron-
LMAO. Have you even been to MAR? Have you ever been to any Rover event?
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:47 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

Yes Dan, actually I have, thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
LMAO. Have you even been to MAR? Have you ever been to any Rover event?
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Haha, that's right, you were at the sweet spring and summer rallies.

That's pretty vast.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

So, Im supposed to appologize that I was in Afghanistan for last years MAR? I have two and a half years in combat, I wont appologize for a single day of that.

You are going to attack me as a person because you dont think I have enough credibility to talk about going to large off road events? Ive been to large off road events (ie. Jeep Jamboree), and yeah, I went to the last two ROAV events- and I had a good time. I really dont care if you approve of what I have gone to or not.

The bottom line is that you cant get past this thing with ROAV. Im sure your Cove event will be a good time, but for some reason you just keep hammering on anyone and everyone that wont speak negatively about the MAR or any other ROAV event.

Its getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Haha, that's right, you were at the sweet spring and summer rallies.

That's pretty vast.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Who cares about mar v. the cove? You cant go wrong with either.

Having seen the same question asked on multiple forums, but yet to be definitively answered is getting very childish and annoying. Everyone trolls the forums every day, including the MAR organizers.

Either say we dont have trails yet, and admit that. Or, say we dont have trails, but we plan on having some and they will be...easy...medium...hard...and include a mud pit, etc, etc. If there are trails, be truthful about what they are like. This is pretty simple.
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mr. Chapman: You hate ROAV. Got it, I think we all do. Please post your anti-ROAV rantings somewhere else and stop muddying up all these wheeling threads - it's getting old.

Semper Fi!
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Mr. Chapman: You hate ROAV. Got it, I think we all do. Please post your anti-ROAV rantings somewhere else and stop muddying up all these wheeling threads - it's getting old.
I think all he is really doing is trying to promote his BAN DAN tee shirts.
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
This is turning into a Dan bashing thread. Yet he has made some excellent points in this thread and others, and provided a valuable perspective from the point of view of someone who I reckon is pretty knowledgeable about VA trails.

Anyone who is planning to go to MAR 2010 and is particularly concerned about availability of trails, should make sure to attend some work weekends.
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Do people call you Wolf for short? Do you own the three wolves shirt? I was just wondering since it's such a badass screen name.

But, you're only half right despite what you think you know. You actually do not know jack shit, but we'll act like you do for just a second.

I think ROAV is a joke, like most "clubs". You've got to ask yourself what a "club" is and what makes a club successful. We're all going to have different answers. Some of you, like this genius ssbartley1 feel a club is a group of like-minded people hanging out and do stuff. In ssbartley1's case this means paying a $20.00 fee to be accepted, and then paying an additional $75.00 per event for a trail guide that's going to lead him on some public fire roads because he does not have the confidence or discipline to get in his truck on his own and see the land he acts to be so interested in. People like ssbartley1 have no clue of the real issues facing the land he believes to loves so much, and has no clue what responsible 4-wheeling really means. But he's in a "club" and that's all that matters.

Others, like myself, do not need a club to have that reassurance. We take pride in our conduct while on the trail and work to makes things better for others. We get involved in projects that actually matter and make it a point to protect and defend the little trails we do have so city boys can come to the area and have fun, too. We love what we do and that's why we do it. We do not go wheeling only if there is an event or a big group of folks to watch. We go wheeling and camping because it's a recreation we actually enjoy.

It's these kind of reasons why I hate clubs, not just ROAV. Clubs gather a group of people, bring them into my backyard, rip the shit out of trails, leave their trash behind, pack up and go home. These clubs do not have to deal with the problems; they think once they're back home in their beds the destruction they left behind automatically disappears. And what do they care anyway?? If one area, or trail, gets closed down, they'll just drive to a new area and do the same shit over again. This happens on public land, private land, and OHV parks.

ROAV is a prime example of this type activity. ROAV pulls anywhere from 30-trucks to 400-trucks to a property and lets them loose. Just look at some of the shit that went on at Pearls Pond for years. Look at this picture:

This picture above is on the Pearls Pond property, on what was called the East River trail. It's called the East River trails because it ran right along the river. Once the event was over, do you think ROAV went back to grade the mud holes and plant vegetation so silt and other runoff did not enter the water shed? They planted seed alright, but it was in the fields that were ripped up - no the destruction that directly affects the sport.

Shit, I have a feeling if you asked the ROAV membership what the top 5 issues affecting the Chesapeake Bay were, no one would have a clue.

Here are a few more pictures I have that directly impact the water shed from ROAV events:

Who cares, right? You can just leave all that behind when you're done, go home, and never have to deal with it ever again.

Nothing has changed, either. Here is a picture of the new MAR property with idiot Eric May, a ROAV Board Member, doing the same shit that gets 100's of areas closed each and every year;

ROAV does not believe in Treading Lightly. ROAV does not believe in the mission of the Blue Ribbion Coalition. ROAV may have at one time joined the Virginia 4-Wheel Drive Association and/or United 4-Wheel Drive Association, but they did absolutely nothing to contribute to their cause and not a single member of ROAV attended any of their projects on behalf of ROAV.

So you're right, Wolf, I do hate ROAV. ROAV does a lot more harm than good for Virginia trails and the sport.

But some of you people feel I'm picking on ROAV or that I'm being malicious. It's the newcomers with very little experience such as ssbartley1 who think I'm some bitter asshole who has nothing better to do. What some of you do not understand is that it's because of people like me why ROAV is striving to improve, both internally and their image. I know I give them lots of shit; I call them on the phone and give them shit, not just here on the BBS's. I've sat down with them over dinner and drinks and had conversations about the entire mess they're in. I spent several days with their current Vice President and I, along with Chris von Czoernig, tried to help him understand why ROAV is such a clusterfuck.

ROAV has some good people in their leadership. ROAV also has a few people who need to just go away and be a spectator and not a decision maker. Christina, John K., Chuck...they understand. I don't talk a lot with Dan Rao, but from the conversations I have had with Dan I think he understands, too. Unfortunately, the officers do not have any say-so in ROAV, and decisions are left up to the Board of Directors; and for the most parts these decisions are made by the older generation of the club. Some of these same Directors have a hard time in letting things go and changing with the times.

Up until this year, there has never been a trash pick-up at a ROAV event. I give credit to my friend Dr. Aaron for that since he's the one who provided the motivation to get that started. It was WAY overdue. It's a step in the right direction as to what a "club" should be. It's teaching the younger generation a little something, too. This is only one step, though. ROAV has a long way to go to become a real "club".

On the flip side, I enjoyed MAR. MAR was a good time until they fucked it up in 2008. There is not even a question as if Oak Ridge was a good idea. It was a horrible idea. But prior to that, MAR was a really good time. I look forward to the day that MAR returns. Obviously it's not going to be this year because of the poor decision making, again, by the ROAV Board of Directors. I'm not sure what fantasy land they're living in by thinking things will be back to normal because MAR is returning to Buckingham County, VA, but they're defiantly in La-La Land. I'm not saying the new property could not be built up to a quality event worth the $120.00 attendance fee, but they've got 8-weekends to prep the land, cut the trails, and organize the event. I'm sure as shit they will have a MAR 2010, but it's not going to be the East Coast version of the National Rally like it once was.

So you do not know me, Wolf. You have no idea who I am or what I've done behind the scenes of ROAV. Your perception of my ROAV views is flawed because I've done, and continue to do, a lot more than you EVER have done to improve the image of "clubs" in the eyes of people who have no idea. I still work, today, on trying to improve the MAR event for East Coasters looking for that National Rally experience. It's people like you, Wolf, who think I'm some sort of loaner out to get ROAV. I'm not out to get ROAV; the only thing in ROAV I'm out to get is John Tackly, and when I'm done with John I'll go after that asshole Eric May. MAR participation is down 50% from 4-years ago - that tells me I'm not alone in my thinking. People are no longer coming to MAR because it sucks. I would love to see it get better, and by better I mean a quality and responsible event that offers something for everyone.

I don't care how old it gets, I'm still going to make people aware of the issues. ROAV wants you be believe they're transparent and that they have nothing to hide. If you believe that you don't care about YOUR club anyway, so it does not matter to you what I say. I'm not even a ROAV member, but I bet I can tell you a lot of stuff you don't know about a club you paid dues to join.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events