Mar 2009 - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Since I can only be there on Thurs and Friday, I am coming down Thursday morning to get my $$ worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ray, do I remember that cell phone signal is pretty good on the property?
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Tony-
Cell signal is somewhat terrain dependent overall, but yes, there is decent reception for both AT&T and Sprint from what I found. Rally Control has excellent reception, but being somewhat distant from the trails that's not really pertinent. On the northside of the property your best reception will be along Airy Hill Rd, there isn't great reception down by the water crossing, but its good on the southside at the top of the hill where RC(FWD) is on the map. Somewhat less so once you delve into the heavily wooded Area 4, especially down on 3 Amigos and such.

Bottom line: if you're driving around you'll likely have texts squeak through fairly often (and can push out). Voice calls are best done along the main road but some of that is provider and phone dependent.

Long answer to a short question, I know...I'm procrastinating.
r-
R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am leaving MD thursday morning, if anyone wants to caravan
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Leaving Charlottesville Friday morning.
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

i'm heading down Thurs morning to be there around noon-ish. Ray - would love to meet up and check out the property with someone in the "know." rest of my guys probably won't be coming in until Friday or even Saturday, so be rolling solo Thurs.

where is the recommended camping locations on the property?
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
I am leaving MD thursday morning, if anyone wants to caravan
I may meet you once you get down by my neck of the woods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson
i'm heading down Thurs morning to be there around noon-ish. Ray - would love to meet up and check out the property with someone in the "know." rest of my guys probably won't be coming in until Friday or even Saturday, so be rolling solo Thurs.

where is the recommended camping locations on the property?
Robbie-
I'll probably be around Rally Control right as you show up, and will likely be heading into the property sometime shortly thereafter so let's link up and I'll give you the nickel tour. With luck we can be pulling cable 20min after you register.
Recommended camping...depends on what you're looking for. The 'family' campground is the one that's offsite to the N of the property on the google map. It's a nice field with plenty of room. The cornfield on the N side of the property is somewhat uncertain right now (i.e. if it's wet, it would be nasty-if dry, it might be usable). The primitive camping on the far south side is just that-rather primitive. Most will likely end up at the offsite location.
r-
Ray
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

sounds good Ray, thanks. i'll need to off load a bunch of things for the swap meet, so hopefully that can be done at rally control?

do any of the camp site locations have porta potties or running water?
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Ray -- We can register/pay on site right?
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I am headed up from ATL on Thurs am. hoping to arrive by late afternoon. I have always camped onsite, but is the off site camping the best for this event? Anyone know?

hope to see some of you guys there, make some new friends.
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like a group of us will be leaving about 12ish on thursday to get down there... can't wait.
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Will try and answer questions as best I can:
Porta Potties:
Rally Control, the 'family' campground which is on the property but considered 'offsite' b/c it's not contiguous to the trails, and a few will likely be off the Perimeter Rd entrance to the property.*
Registration on site:
Yes, there is a 250 vehicle limit total though so we're encouraging folks to do it in advance. I honestly don't have the current registration numbers in front of me (thankfully I got to do trails and stuff so that's someone elses responsibility), you will likely be ok if you're showing up Thurs and even into Fri-if not period. Tough for me to make the call on that one though.

*The camping situation may not have been fully 'explained' so let me offer a little more context. This is very much year 1 of the event here, so like many of the previous MARs early on at other venues-even PP-there are some kinks that are being worked out mid-stride. Since it's a working farm and the venue didn't get solidified till after planting season and such we're dealing with what we can make work this year. The Family caming area as we've been talking about it will have no running water, that's at Rally Control, and no power though there is an old pole there (household power, also at RC). The primitive camping will be just that, very primitive with no amenities at all. The cornfield camping is right off Perimeter road but b/c it was a cornfield until this week, I can't even tell you if it's been rolled yet. The reason we caveat that place is b/c if it were to rain that place would look like the Russian front of winter 42' b/c of the mud.

I don't mean to make it sound negative, we all realize that the more perfect solution is to have RC on site, and have camping around the property in various locations. Over time this venue will do that in a far greater capacity than PP ever did (in my opinion) based off it's size and terrain. For the first year in many ways we're all coming together on it so that everyone can see and enjoy what we've got. Truth be told I would say that everyone that's spent time there on the work weekends realizes what an opportunity we have on our hands and can work with the minor inconvieniences this first time through b/c following this year's event we'll have a much better idea about where to focus efforts for next years.

Hopefully that novel makes sense. Keep the questions coming.
r-
Ray
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Ray is the Family Camping at RC FWD? how far is that from the Vendor's area?

When you say the is an outlet at RC, is that a single outlet or a source of outlets? and can we plug onto it?

Is there running water anywhere on the site? and where?

How many Porta are going to be on site?

How far is the nearest Mc Donald or place with Public Restrooms?

Thanks
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Ray is the Family Camping at RC FWD? how far is that from the Vendor's area?

When you say the is an outlet at RC, is that a single outlet or a source of outlets? and can we plug onto it?

Is there running water anywhere on the site? and where?

How many Porta are going to be on site?

How far is the nearest Mc Donald or place with Public Restrooms?

Thanks
It's always the logistics stuff...and the trail guy answering it.
-Family camping is at the place labeled 'Camping' in the attached screen shot. That is a few miles from the Vendor's Area which is at Rally Control. Rally Control is right off Sparta Rd about 1.2 mi from 301, and is essentially a big parking lot + grass field that is the central complex of this farm that we're staying on.
-The amount of power/power outlets is a good question, I'll ask and see if the logistics folks know the answer to that. My best guess is that there will be very limited power there this year because of the reasons I alluded to above-we're kinda putting this plane together in flight so to speak, although I would say aside from the disparate nature of things it's at least as developed as PP was.
-Running water is at Rally Control.
-Porta potties: sufficient numbers for the anticipated ~250 vehicles + drivers/passengers/family; actual number is unk to me at this time, I can ask. Porta Potties will be at RC, Family Camping and at one site on the trails itself (the overall view doesn't depict Perimeter Rd which is what you'll take off Sparta to reach the N side of the property, and it's also the access to the road that leads to camping off Maracossic)

The nearest McDonalds is probably ~5 mi away in Bowling Green (near a Food Lion, some other food stuff, and the like). The nearest public restrooms are less mileage wise but less nice too as they're in gas stations off 301.

Hopefully that helps.
r-
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overall view.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	21738  
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
I think I can make it down Thursday and Friday, and depart early Saturday morning. Having never been to MAR, is it still worth it to go?
If you don't mind parting with $130.00, it's lots of fun
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Ray -- one more question -- What does "Above ground fire" mean? Does that mean it needs to be in a metal fire pit?

Thanks for all the answers
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Ray -- one more question -- What does "Above ground fire" mean? Does that mean it needs to be in a metal fire pit?

Thanks for all the answers
Ryan-
Going to wing this one but basing it off what I've seen on the property-I believe it to mean that you can make a good circle with rocks and have a 'small' campfire. What we can't have, to my knowledge, is a big bonfire will pallets and crap going on there-and nor do I think they want people digging a big fire pit-so it's more of a 'small, contained, surface fire'...

I don't think you need to bring a metal firepit with you, as I've seen previous campfires on the property that were done with good old rocks.

Now if I'm wrong Chuck will jump in here I'm sure and calibrate it-but that's my understanding.
r-
Ray
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Ray,

Thanks for the answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G
It's always the logistics stuff...and the trail guy answering it.
-Family camping is at the place labeled 'Camping' in the attached screen shot. That is a few miles from the Vendor's Area which is at Rally Control. Rally Control is right off Sparta Rd about 1.2 mi from 301, and is essentially a big parking lot + grass field that is the central complex of this farm that we're staying on.
-The amount of power/power outlets is a good question, I'll ask and see if the logistics folks know the answer to that. My best guess is that there will be very limited power there this year because of the reasons I alluded to above-we're kinda putting this plane together in flight so to speak, although I would say aside from the disparate nature of things it's at least as developed as PP was.
-Running water is at Rally Control.
-Porta potties: sufficient numbers for the anticipated ~250 vehicles + drivers/passengers/family; actual number is unk to me at this time, I can ask. Porta Potties will be at RC, Family Camping and at one site on the trails itself (the overall view doesn't depict Perimeter Rd which is what you'll take off Sparta to reach the N side of the property, and it's also the access to the road that leads to camping off Maracossic)

The nearest McDonalds is probably ~5 mi away in Bowling Green (near a Food Lion, some other food stuff, and the like). The nearest public restrooms are less mileage wise but less nice too as they're in gas stations off 301.

Hopefully that helps.
r-
Ray
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Gustavo, et al-
No worries on the answers, I really hope it helps. It's kicking my ass trying to convey the sense of the venue at times. Unlike PP which there was always a bulk of people that could provide context, I think Tony and I are the only two regulars here that have seen the place as it came together. So I just want to make sure that the things that we (ROAV) have forgotten to mention get answered as best as possible over the next week.

This MAR is going to be a good one-the new location is superb, it's relative location in the state I'd say is also excellent (20 min off 95 is nice). The wheeling will be quite good for the amount of time we've had to build her up-perhaps better than quite good but ya'll will be the judge of that.

I look forward to meeting those of you that I haven't thus far. I'll be in the fender crumpled green D1...probably at one of the harder trails in Area 4 watching and helping, or back at RC/RC(FWD) helping out.
r-
Ray

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events