Mar 2008? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Okay NOW we have where , all we need is when and I'll be the there with the special coffee . Hope to meet more list members for some wheeling .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
MAR is October 2, 3, 4, 5 of 2008.
Thurs-Sunday
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
Okay NOW we have where , all we need is when and I'll be the there with the special coffee . Hope to meet more list members for some wheeling .
As I'm told every year when I'm asked... "MAR is always the first weekend in October"
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:43 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
all we need is when and I'll be the there with the special coffee.
hehehe, oh Jorge that was some special coffee alright! lasted the whole weekend and I never saw that thing leave your hand!
Attached Images

1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL.. Strong Coffee it was... Even though the location is farther south, it might be easier to get to from the looks of the location..

Follow-up Post:

The summer rally will be at pearls pond though. that might be fun.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I attended MAR in 04 for the fisrt time, I Left early on sunday due to the trans going out in my 87 rangie at tank trap, 2005 the following year I convinced my family to join me for the weekend, bad choice since it rained all week long as well as the weekend, even the dog got muddy.
my family open minded kept the bitching to a minimun even when both trucks suffered serius body damage and the 87 nearly rolled as well as damaged the winch.
we left mid saturday since all trails were being closed, my buddies and I have been into off road for about 10 years we know full well the carnage that can be done when off road, so when the cofee and tea crowd decided that their lr3's and new range rovers were getting mud on the thread of the tires and the place was begining to shut down I and not my family made the decition to call on the weather the following year.
forward to 2006. once again mother nature dealt a bad hand , all week long rainy and cold come friday departure day and the pond at my in laws house was about 3 feet overflow in fredericksburg va.
decided not to go for another weekend of missery and stayed home. come monday at the shop, I worked on 5 rovers from the arlington alexandria and fairfax area which had sufferd flooding and other carnage at MAR the owners described the event as a total nigthmare, cold wet and nasty, worst than 2005.
2007 again mother nature did not cooperate until late saturday, after that I heard it became an extreme form of punishment for all trucks involved. thay sufferd all kinds of carnage, body and mechanical, on away i felt sorry for nor attending but then again packing 2 rovers, an rv, two adults, one teenager and my 2 year old rat terrier with 2 two month old pups plus a 5 year old corgy on short notice to travel some 2 hours to off road and then packing all of it back in 24 hours did not appeal to me nor it is an easy task.
2008 if all goes well the weather cooperates the pups will be more than a year old and the new location is not too far plus my work schedule allows I will think of attending.
pearls pond is becamming too familiar, it is almost as if you knew the place and know where you need to push a little more to make it and where to take it easy.
I will plan for it after the summer rally rigth now it too soon for me to plan ahead.
Carlos Z.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Good to see you on here, Carlos.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
thanks, I thought the 90 on that avatar looked familiar as well as the arlington location, normally I hang in the forums (land rovers only and discoweb's range rovers section).
it has been awhile, i have been at rosenthal in tysons all this time, let me know if I can be of assistance.
Carlos.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Carlos, what happened to Alberto? Missed you at the last MAR. Steve was there with "Carlos"
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
what? I was there and it was dry all weekend. you really had to try if you wanted to break stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz@cox.net
2007 again mother nature did not cooperate until late saturday, after that I heard it became an extreme form of punishment for all trucks involved. thay sufferd all kinds of carnage, body and mechanical,
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

never rained but I did manage to break something. Best MAR ever!
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster
give me some notice and I will be there. I usually hang with the jeep guys but it would be nice to start a new camp site. I can just see all the series trucks getting crushed up there. I love wheeling with the "old guys" and I can't see them very happy bouncing around on the rocks.
Hey, I resemble that remark. I've been going to big dogs events for at least five years with my old 109. I usually try to hit Ice Breakers in the spring and Main Jambo in Sept.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

I am going to the ice breakers in April. I hope to see some more rovers there.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
last MAR it was a toss up with the family and the weater, you may remember rain did not let up until mid saturday, at least in my part of town. so by that time the wife did no see the point in trowing everyone in the in laws rv and go off road for a full of 1/2 day.
Alberto posted a couple of videos on you tube about his mishapp on his rear radious arms on his disco. shortly there after I heard he fled the country due a an issue with the feds an money laundering, on behalf of one of his friend from venezuela, that happend just before thanksgiving and I have not heard or seen him since.
I am at a different shop now a days, have been there for about 13 months. I know I fucked up big time by reliying on the wife but oh well "for better or for worse".
I wish I would have seen "carlos", I think if all goes well I should have one of my own very soon, a 69 109 santana 6 cyl gas from bolivia one owner , it belongs to my moms boyfriend, his wife died about 5 years ago, so he is selling everything, he claims that the rover does not have value back in bolivia so he will ship it to the us, if i want it i can keep it if not "we" split the difference from the import costs and total sale. go figure, it may happen.
as far as this year the jury is still deliberating, I have Ciro (the guy with the gold 88 rangie) and acouple of guys wiht whom I cannot really count on, after Alberto who happened to be a co-worker, friend and road partner I guess i will travel alone. but first I must convince the wife and my new boss.
honestly Ihave not offroaded much during the last 2 years, changes in life have forced me to forgo meetings or not be able to randesvouz with the clubs for a good romp.
carlos z.
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

It would be good to see you again! Too bad about Alberto.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
That sucks about Alberto. Loved that guy. Guess all the other guys are gone too? Alfreo, Ramone?
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Alfredo and Ramon are around, but I dont have much contact with them, mainly because they are Alberto's countrymen so they always had something to talk about, also with me working at the dealer I really cannot have visitors in the shop. During the time I worked with Alberto these guys would come and go from the shop without a problem, quite often they would come do lunch and leave just to return some two hours later with afternoon cofee and baked goods, furthermore thay would show at close time with beer and stay and drink until 8 or 9 pm.
as for Alberto that is what I heard from conversations with his former employer and an Jeremy Novoa a close friend of Alberto. (Jeremy drove a charcoal grey 2004 series II).
I will make plans to attend MAR this year, hopefully mother nature will cooperate.
I am working on three projects, a 95 lwb I have had for a while is receiving a 4.6 upgrade so is my 87 (the burgundy known as frankstein or frankie).
and 3 years ago i did a side job for a customer on his 90 county I installed a new 3.9, well he did not pay me and I had placed a mechanic's lean so I repoed, all together I have some 4700.00 into the truck I have had it for sale as low as 2500.00 and people who developed interest in it still wanted a lower price, I have had it for sale even on ebay for abput a year with out luck soo, I will make it an off road, I have a 3 inch custom body lift and plan to go with 5 inches on suspension in order to fit 33's with 411's on arb lockers.
I have built a custom winch bumper so will do at the rear and do sliders as well, all custom built at home.
hopefully it will be done by MAR so I can show it off, then Frankie gets retired to my inlaws farm,
they can use a capable off roader.
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Holy S...I had no idea that happened with Alberto.

We were at that part of the trail during MAR when all of them were going through, the culvert bridge (the remnants of it) was in pretty rough shape and I wasn't suprised when I watched his video on u tube. We finally got out of there by trying to go through the bypass over to the island. Read: we ended up winching through the bypass...

That really sucks about Alberto-after we moved to Arlington we went by the shop several times just to hang out and talk over stuff with him.
r-
Ray
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
That's too bad about Alberto.
I sold him a rear driveshaft after he blew his out with the rear links at MAR.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Question

yeah, he called me to see if could find him a short front axle for his disco, I did not have any at work that was on a tuesday so I emailed Paul Grant he had it and I emailed Alberto on wednesday, he did not repply. so I called on thursday he told me to get the part and get back to him because he was busy running around, he said he had sold the disco and the new owner was expecting the axle, my paypal account did not have enough funds to complete the transaction. I called on friday and left a message, did not get any response all thru the weekend.
the following monday Frank his manager and avid offroader (maddog) 97 disco 1 heavily modified, called me to inquire about Alberto's where abouts to which I replied I knew nothing except the communications about the axle, then Frank went on to tell me that Aberto's tool box was not in the shop and his bay was empty and about the encounter with the feds the prior friday wich was the day I could not communicate with him.
tuesday and wednesday went by While i left several messages on his voicemail. then on thursday I got a hold of his wife who informed me that Alberto had to "travel to venezuela on an emergency because inmigration and the feds had been at his place of employment", "I think someone told ins he was illegal in this country"
said his wife--
I asked so what do you want me to do with the parts he needed?
she responded, "I dont know, all we had has been moved in to a shipping container including the trucks and his tools. the kids and I are staying at my sister inlaw's for the time being because Iam afraid the feds will come to the house, as soon as possible I will join him in venezuela".
and that is all I knew of them until a month later when I spoke with Jeremy.
Jeremy Novoa went on to tell me that he had been on communications with Alberto, the week he left and had said that the feds came to him at the shop and asked him to explain why did he have large amounts of money stashed in a bank account in a chevy chase bank branch in maryland, yet his personal account in va was overdrafted almost continously, he was about 2 months behind on his mortgage on a house worth almost 1/2 million, he drove a highly modified land rover, his wife drove a new BMW X5, he owed nearly 30k on tools to various tool suppliers, his credit cards seemed constantly maxed to the limit his cell phone bill contained a vast amount of calls to venezuela on a daily basis and his income tax return showed a yearly earnings of 50 to 60k a year.
furthermore his social security number kept on comming back to tha name a of a deceased person and he showed he supported his father whose social security number showed had been dead for more than 5 years.
Jeremy continued to tell me that the feds had told Alberto this had been a "visit of concern", it was a simple investigation and it was going to be forwarded to INS with a note of wether he had been cooperative or not and based on that ins could detain him (Alberto) until the trial if charges were filed that would have been "up to 1 year" and then once sentenced it could be a long time "but you will be sent back to venezuela after serving jail time".
so obiously be became very afraid and fled.
I have cruised past his old niegborhood and his old house is up for sale, something curious thou his sister came to the old shop to pick up his W2 form and did not give any explanation why she did what she did.
some of the guys speculate that he was living well beyond his means and limits and it had cought up to him, facing embarrasment he decided to start fresh all over somewhere else but not outside of the us.
his old cell number went straight to voilce mail about a month ago then my cell phone crapped out and i lost his number, I never received a reply.
honestly I tend to believe either story. but tend to lean somewhat towards venezuela, I guess anything is possible and he may be living under everyones nose and not be noticed.
lots of speculations my friends lost of them.

SORRY FOR THE LONG REPLY BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS NESCESSARY............
Carlos Zaragoza

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events