Mar 2008? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sounds good to me then.....
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
R-C
Chris Schramm
1995 D-90 ST

I like the idea of a change. This year was my 8th MAR and I'm ready for something different. That said, the current 8.5 hour drive from Atlanta is probably all we can take; adding 2.5 hours may exclude a chunk of us from Georgia.
1995 D-90 ST
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Any thought about the Cove for MAR and Pearl's Pond for the Spring rally?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

If it was at the Cove this year, then I could possibly attend... I'm taking the prior 2 weeks off for National Rally so I can't get enough time off to make it to MAR as well.. but if I could make it a weekend trip, it's doable..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-C
I like the idea of a change. This year was my 8th MAR and I'm ready for something different. That said, the current 8.5 hour drive from Atlanta is probably all we can take; adding 2.5 hours may exclude a chunk of us from Georgia.

Chris,
I assume you travel up 85 to 77 and then to 81 when you come to MAR. From the ATL to Staunton, VA is about 7.5 hours where you then hop on 64 that takes you towards Pearls Pond.

From Staunton, VA to Pearls Pond is a 1-hour 20-minute trip. AND, from Staunton, VA to The Cove is right at 1-hour 30-minutes. So, really, you're only adding about 20-minutes to your trip if you're driving it for the first time. This is because you're coming on up 81 to get to The Cove instead of getting on 64 to head east.

Do a mapquest, or the like, from your address to Gore, VA. You'll see what I mean.

BTW, if you don't already know, try using 321 on your next trip. You get on 321 at Gastoina, NC and follow it to Hickory, NC where you can get on 40. 40 will then take you back to 77 near Statesville. You totally bypass all the Charlotte and Moorseville congestion, plus you get around the continuing construction they've been doing on 77 for the last 10-years. It's about 10-miles longer, but it saves 20-minutes on average!
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When will they know for sure where it will be held? Any Ideas or is this all just speculation?
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Chris,
I assume you travel up 85 to 77 and then to 81 when you come to MAR. From the ATL to Staunton, VA is about 7.5 hours where you then hop on 64 that takes you towards Pearls Pond.

From Staunton, VA to Pearls Pond is a 1-hour 20-minute trip. AND, from Staunton, VA to The Cove is right at 1-hour 30-minutes. So, really, you're only adding about 20-minutes to your trip if you're driving it for the first time. This is because you're coming on up 81 to get to The Cove instead of getting on 64 to head east.

Do a mapquest, or the like, from your address to Gore, VA. You'll see what I mean.

BTW, if you don't already know, try using 321 on your next trip. You get on 321 at Gastoina, NC and follow it to Hickory, NC where you can get on 40. 40 will then take you back to 77 near Statesville. You totally bypass all the Charlotte and Moorseville congestion, plus you get around the continuing construction they've been doing on 77 for the last 10-years. It's about 10-miles longer, but it saves 20-minutes on average!
Thanks Dan. Chris and I have made the trip to Pearl's Pond from GA each year together since I started coming in 2001. It's my favorite trip of the year. That being said, I'd not mind a change so long as it wouldn't add too much to my travel time home on Sunday (11 hours already).

-Ron
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

I think the cove has been removed from the list of possible venues. This is a good thing!
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster
I think the cove has been removed from the list of possible venues. This is a good thing!
May I ask why (on both counts)?
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
The Cove in Gore, VA has some of the best trails I have been on in the past few years. And the camping areas are spacious. Check out www.bigdogsoffroad.com.

More rocks than mud, and there are trails there that are almost impossible.

Not to mention that it has never rained since I have been there!
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

The trails are great but the majority of vehicles that attend MAR are stockish. The Cove would tear up most of the trucks. The facilites are ok. Everytime i have showered there it has either been ass cold or boiling hot water. I have no vote in the decison but the cove would not be a good choce for the "60th" anniversary. Stick with what we know. If anyone wants to go to the cove for big dogs I would gladly meet you up there. I am going in June and there is another trip in April which I would attend if I am not the only rover, again.
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster
The trails are great but the majority of vehicles that attend MAR are stockish. The Cove would tear up most of the trucks. The facilites are ok. Everytime i have showered there it has either been ass cold or boiling hot water. I have no vote in the decison but the cove would not be a good choce for the "60th" anniversary. Stick with what we know. If anyone wants to go to the cove for big dogs I would gladly meet you up there. I am going in June and there is another trip in April which I would attend if I am not the only rover, again.
Rob,

You made some good points, except for the showering bit Last year, I was wheeling at the Cove with a stock LR3 on some of the "intermediate trails" and everything was fine.

That being said, I did see a 4Runner and a FJ Cruiser get pretty beat up. They were not happy campers, especially when the side steps were bent so bad they couldn't open their doors. And the whole bent trailing arm didn't go over too well either.

I plan on heading up for a few of the Big Dog events. I know Clay (1of40) likes to go as well. It sure would be great to see another Defender up there.
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

give me some notice and I will be there. I usually hang with the jeep guys but it would be nice to start a new camp site. I can just see all the series trucks getting crushed up there. I love wheeling with the "old guys" and I can't see them very happy bouncing around on the rocks.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Not to question you, but I've run several pretty easy trails up there and Big Dogs claims to have 36 stock and beginner trails. Heck, even Boshart's wheeled up there. But you're right, the trails do get as nasty as you could want. As for the facilities, I agree that some of the crappers aren't the best (that one by camp 8 is like a horror movie), but at least there are showers as well as the rifle range, beach, picnic pavilion, etc. Never mind the fact that there's some much needed space there . . .

Frankly I'd wonder what more ROAV could be looking for . . .
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Again it is not up to me! I would love to go up there for a change of venue and more difficult trails and less jeeps. I forsee lots of complaining from newbies and stock family vehicles. Big dogs is kind of a joke, talk about unorganized. I have only run 4-8 trails there. I also wonder if they would be able to rent the entire place or would we be dealing with usual amount of country folk. I think I am sailing that weekend anyway so I will only be there Wed-Fri late night. What about April big dogs you up for that?
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Yeah, I've wheeled up there. I AM A BIG DOGGY! Got the body damage to prove it!

I think the April event is a good idea. I will add it to my calendar.
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any More info on MAR? Location?
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Any More info on MAR? Location?
We should know the new location next week.
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I believe the official meeting is today so we will see what happens..
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Alright, MAR 2008 is being held at Oak Ridge Estate.
Several Camp Jeep events have been held here in the past.
Please, try to keep the bitching to a minimum....;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events