Mar 2006 - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I talked to Chris Packard and they are happy to have us on Saturday. We just need to get a rough idea of how large we expect the group to be by Thursday, so lets hear who you are.

Oh, there will be no guides, but It sounds like there will be enough of us who have been there a few times before that it will not be a problem. It's not like you can get lost or something anyway, LOL.

Unless I'm mistaken we have the fiollowing people show an interest so far:

Charles Galpin - '94 D90, 2" lift, 33's, open/open, high blues
Rob Goodall - '95 D90, 35's iirc.
Ken Loy - '94 D90, don't recall the specs but capable iirc
Clay Ayers - '97 D90, specs?
Greg Bozman - '95 D90 specs?

Anyone else want in?

Jimmy, you'd love it. Tony, you suck. Trevor, bring some discos to the dance and drag Tyler's sorry ass down there so he can put those 33's to use

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:33 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Dosn't look like i'm gonna make it,still got a few issues with the truck. Rear pinion is loose,took off the nut and it looks like it has been put on cross threaded bt p/o and i cant tighten it up.Still getting a wierd noise from somewhere, its not the rear diff, still sounds like T/C although that looks fine. Fitted new E brake shoes and everything looks good there to. Taking it to work today,although they are Ford tecs maybe they can help, fingers crossed. Still got 4 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Looks like I'll now be leaving NoVA at about 0900 on Friday.

What do y'all say to another D-90 photo shoot at the Pond? Saturday at 1300? Will that conflict with the trip to Crozet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd
What do y'all say to another D-90 photo shoot at the Pond? Saturday at 1300? Will that conflict with the trip to Crozet?
Yeah it would. Can we do it earlier, like 8:30 ? I don't think it's worth going to crozet if we don't head out by 9am.

charles
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Caravan from NOVA?

Ken, Tony, and Clay,

Do you want to caravan down on Friday morning at 9:00am? How about we meet at the intersection of 123 and Rte 66? Just off the exit is White Granite Drive and there is a large parking lot there. Just a suggestion.

Charles,

I will be in a 95 D90, 2" lift, 33's, open/open. I believe Clay has a similar setup.

Looking forward,

Greg
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Do y'all want to go 66 to 15 or down 95?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Charles, it'll be tough to get the picture done that early. Guys won't even be kicking beer cans out of their tents by then. I'm not set on doing the photo shoot, though. Maybe at the end of the day then??

I don't care about the route. I don't think I'll be able to leave Rosslyn until 0900. Have one work thing I'll have to do.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Well, the crozet crew is most likely in the minority (although I wish that wasn't the case, and they can handle a fairly large group if we can get the word out) so I am not sure we can determine the time.

That said, alate afternoon / evening shot works for me.

charles
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd
I don't care about the route. I don't think I'll be able to leave Rosslyn until 0900. Have one work thing I'll have to do.
I need to see when Brian's going to be ready to hit the road, but I'm fairly open to suggestion on the route.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Well, the crozet crew is most likely in the minority (although I wish that wasn't the case, and they can handle a fairly large group if we can get the word out) so I am not sure we can determine the time.

charles
Charles, I think I've been to Crozet with 20 or 30 vehicles before so stop by the Rally Control tent and post up some kind of announcement and/or go look for some of the built up trucks and tell them about it as well.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Group to MAR from N.VA

I am picking my son up in Great Falls and going down the 66>29>15 route. Not sure I can make 9 am Fri in Fairfax. I'm coming from Annapolis and this will be the rollover project's maiden voyage, so if you see a black SW on the side of the road.....
My son wanted to run down Thursday night anyone going then ?
Kid is 11 and this will be his 6th MAR.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Doug, I'll be leaving from Arlington, realistically closer to 10-11 with at least one other 90. You're more than welcome to join.

Ken, if you'd like, just head over to my place after you leave work (I'm a mile down 50 from Rosslyn if you remember) and we can go from here. Again, indifferent to the route, I'm equidistant from 66 and 95.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have never been to MAR before and I am planning on driving down with my brother with our respective d-90s but we can only make it for saturday and maybe sunday. I went on to the MAR website and read the info for saturday but there did not seem to be any"guided" trail rides on that day. I was hoping there was not a guide situation and that the trails were open all day and you can go on them as you please. Is this the case?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Trails are open, just PLEASE have recovery points front and rear.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
Dosn't look like i'm gonna make it,still got a few issues with the truck. Rear pinion is loose,took off the nut and it looks like it has been put on cross threaded bt p/o and i cant tighten it up.Still getting a wierd noise from somewhere, its not the rear diff, still sounds like T/C although that looks fine. Fitted new E brake shoes and everything looks good there to. Taking it to work today,although they are Ford tecs maybe they can help, fingers crossed. Still got 4 days.
Jimmy, I think there is a spacer on the pinion shaft (at least there is one on my DI), maybe yours is toast.

Also, the cross pin might've broken like mine did at MaBell. If you remove the diff drain plug (let the oil drain first) and then try sticking your finger into the hole (don't get sweaty) and feel for any shavings or pieces in the diff.

Worst case scenario, just trailer the 90 down and pickup a 3rd from someone down at MAR. I've seen them at the junkyards for around 200 bucks or less.

I just went thru my second 3rd if not I would've given you one of mine.

I just remembered, aren't you locked in the rear? Arb, right?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jimmy, let me know if you need gears... I have a stock set that I can bring to MAR..
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

I started getting the noise after i went to mabell with john and dave (not their fault) i did whack the underneath a few times. the rear diff leaked so i changed the seal, taking off the nut which holds the drive flange on was a hard pull all the way and i noticed it was crossed threaded, fitted new seal and it was a job getting it back on but thought ihad it tight. checked the T/C all looked fine, drove with front shaft off still got the noise same with the back, took off E brake drum still the same so maybe its because the ring and pinion is loose. will drain tonight and see if there are any bits in there. guy at work says without looking at it i need a new ring and pinion as one cant re thread it, it was threaded in the first place so why not. i'm ok at changing things but no mechanic (but arn't most dealer tecs just fitters of new parts).

Follow-up Post:

Randy what $'s are you looking for if i need them, is it a long job to swap out, i have ARB front and back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Jimmy, changing the 3rd is a piece of cake and despite not having a rear locker you'd be able to wheel (or at the very least rule out the diff as your problem)

Come on down!

charles
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Doug, I'll be leaving from Arlington, realistically closer to 10-11 with at least one other 90. You're more than welcome to join.

Ken, if you'd like, just head over to my place after you leave work (I'm a mile down 50 from Rosslyn if you remember) and we can go from here. Again, indifferent to the route, I'm equidistant from 66 and 95.
Tony,

10 or 11 am is fine with me. Rendezvous at your place?

Greg
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

What size gears are you running? If it's the stock 3.54 then I can send a set over to you today.

Swapping the R&P is a bit of a PIA since you have to set the backlash but I'm sure Mike can help you with that. I have a dial indicator if you need one.

Last year I brought my 3rd to Allan at Cityside garage and he set the backlash and changed the bearings for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events