Maine, Thanksgiving Wheeling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old October 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Maine, Thanksgiving Wheeling

Heading up to the Mid-Coast of Maine for Thanksgiving and my father in-law is very interested in what wheeling is all about. I am looking for some trail suggestions that we can spend a full day wheeling medium to difficult trails that will blow his hair back. Is the Rocky Mountain Terrain Park the best place near the mid-coast? Also, would love to get a couple of trucks to go, so see what you can do to get away for a day.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Hunting season, terrain park would be best I would think.
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Not a bad thought...Anyone have a spare pair of antlers I can have my father in-law wear?

kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

[delete]
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I might be up for that.
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

That would be awesome John. I think that Friday or Saturday would be the best for us. Do you know some more people that would want to get involved? It would be cool to get a good size group to go.
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Im fairly new to the area but I know there are quite a few rover guys around. I met one the other day at my daughters school he stopped to check out the 110 and said he has a good size group of buddies that wheel their rovers.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Okay John. All is welcome and hopefully more members will chime in and want to get involved too. I was just notified that I was added to the park's waiting list and will be notified once 10 people have registered for the same weekend. As the date gets closer, and if I don't get a follow up message, I will call directly to find out more. I don't think a total of 10 people to register for the weekend is a lot, but we will see.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Chris -- too bad you're leaving the area for thanksgiving weekend.. we do a run at Rausch Creek in PA every Thanksgiving weekend... get about 30 Rovers or so..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Chris would of joined you but, a lot of the NE is heading down to CT that weekend (me to if the truck is running.
Forrest Clifton is the organizer

"I was just watching off road at the MAR with my family and the idea to have an rally at our house was brought up. I live in Connecticut in between Hew Haven and New London, in a town called Killingworth. my father is the ranger/ program director at a Boy Scout camp and the camp is closed on certain weekends around holidays. We have tons of trails ranging from easy to quite difficult. i also made a seesaw recently which is a lot of fun but hugly difficult. The camp is 250 acres and nearby there is a lot of state forest that is also open to driving. the place is easy to get too and it would be a blast to share all my trails with you guys. let me know what you think. There are cabins that we could put you up in too."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale
H Is the Rocky Mountain Terrain Park the best place near the mid-coast?
Chris

Just FYI for your planning that place is about 2 hours from the mid-coast area.
Never been there.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Good to hear from you Jimmy! The CT idea looks awesome and maybe a great alternative if ME is a bust. I will let you know as the day gets closer and thanks again.

Fidel - Yeah, I am thinking its a hike for a one day event, but I have not found a better option. My family owns a place in Waldoboro, just down the road from your shop, and I was thinking that someone from your shop would know of a closer place. Please share some of your secrets, point me the right direction and I promiss not to tell should you decide to wheel in a customers D90. kidding. If nothing is closer, get one of your Ds ready and lets go check it out.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Guniea Ridge Rd is fun if you don't want to get stuck and just want to scare non-off roaders with deep water. Did that on my bike last weekend and got wet from the a$$ down.
That is in Appleton and can be found on the map easily.

If you want something harder go to the old shop in Warren and continue past it and go up Tolman Road and keep going straight. The road will slowly get worse and worse. This in the end takes you to the power line or up Pleasant Mt.
That area is private though and wheeling is not allowed, so don't tell anyone I told you to go there. You might not get caught though and the trails are fun up the mountain.

Sadly most everything is private around here and seriously protected... when we go we usually go North or DownEast where the yuppie crowd from away hasn't bought up all the property yet.

Old October 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Its from the friday afternoon till sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Thanks Fidel. Because those spots are very close, I could probably do that any day during Thanksgiving break. Let me know if you're interested and maybe we can get a small group and go covertly.

Thanks Jimmy. Are you cooking sausage and peppers in the PM as well as bacon and eggs in the AM? If you cook like you did at Paragon a few years back, it just may give me the added incentive that I need.
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

We actually stay out of the woods during the start of hunting season. Not for fear of getting shot, but you can ruin someone's hunt by coming along in a truck and because we live with the local hunters year round we give them the woods during those times... we have it the rest of the year.

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Thats fair. I don't know any dedicated hunters so I am not familiar with hunting etiquette even though it may seem like common sense. So thanks for mentioning it Fidel.

Well, it seems like RMTP or the CT route works best. Whatever the case, I hope we can still get enough interest to take a ride out to RMTP so we can check out a new place to wheel. Let me know if you're interested.
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:51 AM
AJKing
King, Adam
1994 D90

I'd definitely be keen for Maine that weekend- I'm having a couple D-90 veterans of the Rhino Charge in Kenya over so we'd be at least 3.

-A
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

where in CT, I want to come, my truck is ready for some wheeling and tailgating... and do we have any events in VY and NY soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
vin, wheel