Long drive home... "new" 90 from PA to CO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
neduro
Ned Suesse
1987 D90

Long drive home... "new" 90 from PA to CO

My name is Ned and I have a problem. Since I was about 7 years old, riding around in my uncle Had's 1973 Series 3, I've wanted a Land Rover in the worst way. Somehow, even as a car dealer, I've never managed to satisfy this lust... until now.

Back in 2006/7, I got to know a fellow named Lyndon who is a Brit that was then living in Texas. We met each other on a website called advrider.com, spent a bunch of time riding motorcycles together, and then he moved back to England, where I've gone and visited a few times since. Anyway, he offered to help me with getting a rover, so plans were put in place last year, and eventually, the right machine was found. Lyndon bought it, drove it for a few months to get a feel for what it needed (not much) and then it was pronounced ready to ship.

Then came the decision of how to ship it over. I decided to use Doug Crowther of Dividing Creek Imports, and he was good to his word on the import process. His communication was a bit sparse a time or two, but everything happened as he said it would and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Which brings us to last Tuesday. The rover had been in customs for a week, but had not yet been released, and I had a non-refundable ticket on Southwest to Philly, because it was $300 cheaper than any day that week. I decided to take the flight even though I might be flying home, instead of driving.

Luck was on my side. The rover came out as hoped, here was my first view in the bonded warehouse:

and outside:

The truck fired right up and ran perfectly. I headed out into Philadelphia rush hour to get acquainted. Favorite moment were the tollbooths on the turnpike, won't be doing much drive-thru in this truck!

next installment: In which my Mom flies up and we drive the Rover to North Carolina along the Blue Ridge to North Carolina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Awesome! Good luck ... Keep posting progress!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:58 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Congrats!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Hi Ned, it looks great! Hope you have a pleasant and uneventful trip back home to CO!
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
neduro
Ned Suesse
1987 D90

2100 miles and the only thing I did was replace an alternator belt that was clearly dying when I got the truck... had a spare waiting, 15 minutes and good to go.

But I need to get caught back up on work before I post the rest of the trip... so for now, one pic will have to suffice.

Old May 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
neduro
Ned Suesse
1987 D90

So, the first leg of the journey home was from Philadelphia to Asheville, NC. We decided to take I-95 for the start as it's the only halfway efficient route, luckily there was some traffic so speeds were within our capabilities.

Off and running:

The rover has 2 20L cans on the roof, figured I'd better fill those up and have a fuel reserve:

We ran through DC and out toward Skyline Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. For anyone who hasn't experienced it, this is a beautiful 2 lane that runs on top of the Blue Ridge all the way from Front Royal in VA to Asheville, NC. Up on top of the ridge, Spring is just coming in, and the views were beautiful. Here we have a civilized stop:

I've ridden this several times previously on sportbikes, and always been quite frustrated by the 35/45 mph speed limit. Not so in the Rover- no desire (and in some cases ability!) to go faster. It was a very pleasant run. We stayed at a lodge about halfway down right on the road, and had a great run. A few other pics:

Learning about the tent:

Once we arrived at home in Asheville, I set about some maintenance- checked all fluids (fine, all three diffs leak slightly, but none needed any oil), careful inspection of all systems (determined Alternator belt was wearing, so I procured one of those) and washed the mattress cover in the roof tent.

Really like the patriot roof rack, it's a slick setup.

What's wonderful about motoring in a landy is that you just can't be in the same hurry as a modern car. It takes a real adjustment of expectations, and as per usual, low expectations = more happiness.

Interestingly, my mom (at 67 years old) loved riding in it. She thought it was the coolest vehicle she'd ever traveled in... so I guess she's got great taste!
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
looks like good times, hope your trip continues to be enjoyable
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Ned... I have already found a flaw in your story! Those two 20L cans, lets be honest here, you only filled them up because you needed an excuse to climb up on top of the roof rack. Its OK! we are all friends here your mom doesn't need to know.

Great story, that's something my mom would do with me, you are fortunate. Enjoy the truck. My jealousy runs deep my friend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags