Las Vegas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
41gpaws
Adison Colin

Las Vegas

Any member here in Las Vegas? If the answer is yes, where is a good place for offroading for a first timer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I am also interested if anyone is around there. I fly out to Vegas tomorrow morning and am there through next Wednesday.

I'd be more than happy to meet up with whomever and catch a beer... or better yet, it would be fun to tag along/ride along if anyone is wheeling somewhere close this weekend.
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I am here but have only been here long enough to wheel one time. There are supposedly some good trails north of the city but I can't speak to them personally.

PM me and we can talk.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
BCR
Brian Richardson
Need a D90 Tdi

Check with local LR club that has lots of good people that I've wheeled with.

Also www.vv4w.org has trails section & lots of runs from mild to wild - I'm the outgoing Comms officer plus past pres & director

Rocky Gap aka Potato Ridge is on west side of town & a must do trail that is scenic & technical.

Logandale Trails system an hour north of Vegas has everthing from dunes to slick rock.

Nellis has some fun stuff on it's east side but a lot of locals grow tired of the trash MCs & ATVs
Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

I know I am late on this thread, but Rocky Gap road is pretty cool. This time of year you have to watch out for snow up there. I got stuck last year and had to winch out in a blizzard and it was about 60 degrees in LV. Burro Wash is another good run for a first timer (the start is near the National Cemetary close to Boulder City). I would highly recommend checking the newest BLM maps (or with the BLM itself) before you hit any trails in the Las Vegas Valley. They basically shut down everything if its in the Valley. Another good place for a first timer is Bitter Springs. It is up near Valley of Fire (not too far from the Logandale Trail System. Also, there is the Spanish Trail which turns into a recreation area that has miles of easy trails. That is off of Blue Diamond (160) heading towards Pahrump.

Sorry this post is sporadic, but I am writing things as I remember them.

Land Rover Club of Las Vegas has some pretty good guys in it, but their website hasn't been updated in a while. http://www.lrclv.com/

I am out of "town" a lot, but when I am there I usually go wheeling a lot (or work on my 90). If either of you (LV guys, or anyone who will be out that way) want to go wheeling in late March to late April let me know and we will set something up. I have a tendancy to do overnight trips too, so if that interests you let me know.

The BLM office also has free maps and info on some backcountry byways in the area (they did in late '08 but with all the budget cuts and horse roundups they may charge for them now).

Hope this helps.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I PM'd the guy who posted this a couple of times and he never responded. Later there were a few people on here talking about a salvage truck that had been on fire and was posted for sale in Vegas. I wondered if it was his.

I am almost always available on the weekends so let me know if you go.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

After looking through some of the posts I think you are correct about the truck being his. That really sucks since he was posting to find a place for "first time" 4 wheeling...

I will hit you up when I am back in town.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
gas