Land Closure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Land Closure

Kind of long, but an interesting read. Closing 7 acres a minute!? Holy Crap.

Please take a minute to read the following & take action. It could very well be the single most important thing you do to protect your access.

Please Forward this message.

As you are all well aware every year we suffer incremental closure of our public lands to most uses through inappropriate Wilderness designation. What you probably do not know is the Boxer bill s-493 proposes to close 21% of our remaining multiple use lands in Sequoia, that is 104,000 acres which would close 35 trails to multiple use, including four trails adopted by Stewards & at least three trails adopted by other motorized volunteers. All told wilderness advocates have proposed over 27,000,000 acres of inappropriate Wilderness in the West this year. They are proposing to close 7 acres a minute this year.

Fortunately there is an alternative. The campaign by Advocates for Access to Public Lands to federally designate & protect multiple use lands, at the same level as Wilderness, has taken off like Wildfire based on the below list of resolution signers over just the past ten months.

We need your help.
If you are part of an organization I hope you will cut & paste the resolution available on the below website onto your letterhead & support this worthy cause.
I also hope you will take the campaign into your own community & spread it to other communities, ask organizations such as chambers of commerce & boards of supervisors in your community to sign the resolution. Everyone can & should sign the petition, which only takes a minute, although the resolutions are more effective.
http://access-advocates.org/take_action.htm

On the website a number of tools have been provided, including a PowerPoint to help your campaign.

More information can be found on the homepage:
www.access-advocates.org

We need your help. It is up to each of us to ensure our legislators are made aware of the need to protect our lands for Multiple Use.

This new federal land designation to preserve Multiple Use Lands & protect them from continued incremental closure will be beneficial to the environment by allowing management, good for the economy by creating jobs & good for the public by providing all types of recreation.

Here is a list of organizations who have already signed the resolution to preserve multiple use lands:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM
Spectre
Stephen
'76 SIII Lightweight

I do support retaining access for those areas that are already open to public use. I do not support road building in wilderness areas that would open them up to logging and energy exploration, which has been a trademark of this administration's polcies. I would be interested in looking more into this before I pass any sort of judgement.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
I do support retaining access for those areas that are already open to public use. I do not support road building in wilderness areas that would open them up to logging and energy exploration, which has been a trademark of this administration's polcies. I would be interested in looking more into this before I pass any sort of judgement.

What "wilderness" areas have had new roads cut into them? Do you mean "wild" areas or designated wilderness? I haven't seen any designated wilderness area maps with new roads.
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Aw shit, Randy. I was so proud of myself for not responding to that post. I had to slap myself around and push myself down the stairs to pull it off, but now you have me all pissed off again. It's frustrating when someone uses a thread like this to run their agenda, and detracts from the purpose of the thread in the first place.

Spectre, I truly hope you do look into this some more before you pass judgement. You may come down on the other side of the fence from me, but at least you'll know the concerns of many people who live out this way. Wilderness advocacy groups are exercising considerable power in government agencies and the courts to close traditional multi-use areas. Another issue of great concern is the taking of private property "for the public enjoyment". It's happening, and it's very disturbing. If communism is your gig, I guess it's fine, but when personal property rights are less durable than the whims of the the current majority, it's very scary to some of us.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I get more pissed off every year. New road closures everywhere I go.

Are the trails damaging the environment by erosion? Many of the trails they close by posting and plowing up the trial with a dozer. How much sense does that make? I wish I could post some pictures of what I am talking about. They post the trail then cut it up with a dozer in an area that you could still easily drive around if you wanted. Maybe THEY (the USFS) should look into "Tread Lightly"?

From the looks of the beetle blight they may soon be needing those closed roads to fight fires.
No, on second thought all they will be able to do is get out of the way. Oh yeah I almost forgot, who was it that started the ****** fires?

Damn I can't wait 'till we get socialized medicine.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Here is an email I got today from Pirate 4X4:

As you know, I rarely send emails to all of you. However this is of extreme importance!

U.S. Forest Service Land Use Restrictions Imminent

Did you know that our access to the entire United States Forest from coast to coast is in jeopardy?!?!?!
We are at DEFCON FIVE with the environmentalists and the U.S. Forest Service!

Now is the time to act!!!

I am very proud of the readers of Pirate4x4.com lately. Our Land Use forums have doubled in traffic over the past couple of months due to the outrageousness of what is going on out there. If you haven't been to our Land Use forums lately, I challenge you to take a look. I guarantee you will get pissed off! When I saw the Draft Plan the Forest Service put out for travel management on the Eldorado National Forest (where I happen to live, and where the world famous Rubicon Trail is) that was the last straw for me. I got pissed off and decided to do something about it.

And it isn't just the Eldorado National Forest. Travel management planning is going on in everyone's backyard whether it's Forest Service or BLM. Anti-access extremists are out in force pressing for closures everywhere. Tellico is threatened by an anti-access lawsuit. Moab access is threatened by overzealous BLM planning. Wilderness bills are rampant in Congress. Roadless area management is still being pushed in the courts. Even the little recreation that there is available in our Parks is still under attack. Check out the fight in Yellowstone.

It really is time to put up or shut up. I threw down the challenge last month to donate in the forums, and we were able to raise about $8,000 for BRC. While that is fantastic, I think we can do a lot better. Remember, without folks like the BLUERIBBON COALITION fighting for our rights to use public land, we might as well take up basket weaving. Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition and donate to the BRC Legal Fund. The beauty of BRC is they combine all the user groups into one big fist. I stuck $500 of my own money in the fight and you need to do what you can. If it's $20 or $5000, anything helps!!

While you are at it, get busy with your local club. Local involvement is where BRC does some of its best work. If you don't belong to a club, get off your butt and join one. You really CAN make a difference!

You can join BRC and donate to BRC Legal Fund online at a secure web location, set up just for Pirate4x4 at http://join.sharetrails.org . It only took me just a couple of minutes. If you aren't comfortable with that, then call them at 1-800-BlueRib. If you can't afford to do both, at least join BRC now and donate when you can afford it.

The members of Pirate4x4 can and will make a difference!

Lance Clifford
Pirate4x4.com

Everyone please take the time to join and make a donation if you can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events