Labor Day in PA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Labor Day in PA

Alright, all you slacker New Englanders and "oh I gotta go to Chicago" Virginians, let's do it in PA.

Let's see if with this much lead time, Brooks, Chapman, Loic, Matheny, Troy, and the rest of the guys with excuses can start working on getting kitchen passes from the wives/girlfriends (or both). Pete, we're counting on you to bring more eye candy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I will start to gather all the details from past threads regarding camping, directions, etc. Most likely I will create some new section here in the Trails forum for this info.

Whats the general feeling, Paragon? If so I will also start on some calls about any camping or park discounts.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Paragon all Weekend! It is just easier on camping and driving then trying to do both Paragon and RC. I like RC, but the past 2 trips were mostly RC and little to no Paragon. And what Ken said all you slackers better get your stuff together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Whatever. Ken doesn't even have a working truck... unless he's bringing the jeep...

Yes, Pete. She was quite nice. She pulled a bee stinger out of my hand that I could not get at with my muddy hands. I think it happened right after I hooked up the tow strap to Jorge while he was stuck (http://www.defendersource.com/trail/...s/IMG_0048.jpg).

Hard to beat someone who helps out strangers like that.

Paragon sounds like fun.... maybe I'll come along....
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You better show up with that bling ride. I think Pete could top himself if he just brought a dancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Whatever. Ken doesn't even have a working truck... unless he's bringing the jeep...

Yes, Pete. She was quite nice. She pulled a bee stinger out of my hand that I could not get at with my muddy hands. I think it happened right after I hooked up the tow strap to Jorge while he was stuck (http://www.defendersource.com/trail/...s/IMG_0048.jpg).

Hard to beat someone who helps out strangers like that.

Paragon sounds like fun.... maybe I'll come along....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I'm in.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Wussing out as always . . .

call me if you need a tow back
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Ron, get your butt up there on Sunday. Damn, score a great deal on a D90 and the damn thing has never seen dirt.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Actually, that one is sorta broke too. A minor accident this weekend. Maybe I'll put on a 6" lift, 35s (with spinners of course), lockers, and an ARB bumper while it's being repaired. Well, then again, maybe I should have just ONE money pit.

Quote:
Yes, Pete. She was quite nice. She pulled a bee stinger out of my hand
Dave, she was 4 or 5 girlfriends ago for Pete. Tough to keep on top of all his women (so to speak).

As for Rausch Creek or Paragon, I'm ok with either. Trevor seems to like RC, and CVC seems to be a Paragon proponent. Certainly goods in both, but I'm good with whatever everyone else wants to do.

My only suggestion would be to keep to small trail groups.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
My only suggestion would be to keep to small trail groups.
Ditto that. Small groups and early starts. We can try that at least...
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I like both places. Actually Rausch still seems to be a hidden secret and not very crowded. I had a great time the last time we were there especially on that trail we ran right before I left.

I prefer Paragon only because its larger and the plush arrangements at Red Ridge. The thing that hurts Paragon is that Rausch lets you stay in until sundown, which now in the summer, is another 3 hours of wheeling time sometimes and Lynn seem pretty flexible for those running late trying to get out. Big differance where Paragon, it can take you an hour to get a group back to the staging area if you are all the way at the other side of the park and you could get hit with a fine for being late.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Where exaclty is RC or Paragon? And would it be worth the trip for Chi-town?

EwS
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

http://www.paragonap.com/

http://www.paragonap.com/p_directions.htm

And

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/directions.asp

Depending on how much driving you want to do it may or may not be worth it to you. Normally, I drive down on Thursday and try to wheele on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. normaly we head home around noon on Sunday maybe later or earlier. I also take Monday off just in case I break something and need some extra travel time.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Chris, I think that Lynn spends the night there on weekends. She did the last time we all were there at least.

However, I'm not going to make it.. I'll be fishing in Canada that week..
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:26 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

EwS, We'd all be VERY impressed to see you there. Mapquest says 11 hours! PA has some pretty good rock trails that make for great rides. There will be trucks/people of all skill levels, so you're sure to have a compatible group. I have no idea what type of trails you're running in IL, but this might be a good change.

If you're looking to travel, one other trip that may be worth the drive is Mid Atlantic Rally near Charlottesville, VA. (Mapquest says 12.5 hours) Lots of Rover people, with D-90s of course being the minority. I'd characterize it as more of a family/fun trip than a hard core trail trip. It's quite a rally with about 400-450 trucks and a fairly wide variety of personalities (I'll leave it at that). Personally, I think it's a rally that you want to do sometime in your LR lifetime, just to share the culture if nothing else. Also, it sounds like the BSROA group in Mass has lots of outings. It's further though, and they also don't seem to be hard core rock crawlers (if that's what you're looking for).

Again, it would be great if you could make it, but certainly understand the long distance.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well i just looked at my schedule for labor day. Didn't realise when it was. I'm probably not going to make it unless we wheel Sunday and Monday. I've got training ~5 hours south of Paragon and RC on that Sat.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Ken,

I am, thinking about seriously. I'll have to see what my schedule looks like. I don't mind the distance, always good to get out there.

I have to check ou those links above during lunch today. I haven't had a good road trip since the CLRC's trip to Northern WI this past spring.

EwS
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This would be a Sat. through Monday trip for me as well. Drive time is 6 hours from Boston. Give or take.

MAR drive time from Boston is 12 as well. Go figure...
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
mathman
Kevin Matheny
94 D90 ST

Count me in for weekend. Had a great time last time we were all together.

Kevin
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:15 PM
rvrsrvc
Trevor Griffiths
71 109 double cab

We went to Paragon this past weekend for an open trail ride. Didn't realise that it was also a J**p Jambor**. There was probably 10-12 Rovers, (and 600 Jeeps) but only Trevor Combs and I took our Rovers on Level 3's and 4's with Curran's FJ80 and 8 well prepared Jeeps. Well, I thought they were well prepared until they started breaking stuff. So we wowed them with our Rovers, made new friends after we recovered them, and were on our way out. Then Trevor blows the 100% Drive 'Em Home Trailride Award by consuming a transmission on a hill climb. Oh, and this same hill climb rolled a Jeep the day before.
I believe that ROAV is having a work weekend for the MAR that same weekend. I've told Andrea that with the baby due in December, I need to get all the trailriding in before then. I also mentioned that it kinda really is "work", you know, "good for business", and all that. She's buying it for now!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events