Kansas City Area 09/23/2006 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Talking Kansas City Area 09/23/2006

I thought that I would pass this along to those of us that live near KC. Aristocrat (KC'S own local stealer) Land Rover Center is hosting an off road track event. After talking to Jim Schmit the shop manager, he told me that this could be the begging of a new club in KC. As some of you may remember KC had a pretty cool LR club FlatLandRoverSociety. The club has died off and many Rover owners have recently talked about getting together. I have missed the club here in KC and would love to see something again even if it is dealer centric.
Jim explanied to me that this Saturday 09/23/2006 may be a first of many events to come. This first event will be held at the dealership's own test track. This may not be as exciting as the events created by Flatland, but it is a start. Jim explained that there may be other events to follow that would be held off site.
I will be there a little after 2:00 and hope to see some friends from the old club. I know it is not much, but it is a start.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

I wish you would have told me earlier. I would definitely have gone. Keep me informed if this turns into a real event. I know there are a lot of D's in KC, but the flatlanders were all but dead when i found out about them.
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Jon,

I am racing in an adventure race (Berryman) this weekend, so I wont wont be able to make this one. Please keep the info flowing as I want to get together with the other local rover owners. Hopefully future events will provide a little more notice.

Matt

For the local folks, I will be taking some parts over to North American Galvanizing next week. I have about 380lbs left over on my minimum load charge, so if you have something you want to throw on the pile, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Jon or Matt, were either of you a member of the Flatlanders? They did some trails a few years ago on National Forest in Missouri that looked like fun. I sure would like to get some trail info from them.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Randy,
Was it in southwest MO? If so, I know one of the guys who went to that event one year. I could ask him what the trail was.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Monkeyboy

You can check with Tyler Wirkin, he's still in the KC area and has his own photography shop there.

I can't remember the last FRS event that was in So Misouri.

Stinks when it takes almost as long to get to Southern Missouri as it does to get to Denver ... from Des Moines.... I used to do alot of events with FRS.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Kris, yeah I'm pretty sure it was SW Missouri, had some pretty deep stream crossings. There were some pics on the FRS website. Seems like it was near one of the trout parks, Montauk or Cassville?

Thanks Keith, I'll try Tyler if I don't get anywhere. You are going to be in Moab next week aren't you?
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Monkeyboy

Montauk was always a great trip, I tried to fill the interior of the Disco with water once there. CLimbed out the window real fast to get the strap attached that day

Moab? I'm counting the minutes !

See you there. We'll have the Disco and will be at the Moab Valley Inn sometime Wednesday.
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Randy,
he said it was near montauk but didnt know the actual name of the place. Sorry i cant help anymore.

do any of the OK guys ever head up to manhattan to wheel? Ide love to meet some of you guys, seems like you have a great club.
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

A few of us have been up to Kansas Rocks once. We are going to plan a trip to SMORR after Moab, a few of us have been there once also.

We have a lot of names on the club roster but a small core group of active wheelers. Is there some good wheelin' around Manhattan?

The FRS group came down to Disney in NE Oklahoma some years ago, that's where we met some of them.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
Montauk was always a great trip, I tried to fill the interior of the Disco with water once there. CLimbed out the window real fast to get the strap attached that day

Moab? I'm counting the minutes !

See you there. We'll have the Disco and will be at the Moab Valley Inn sometime Wednesday.
Yeah from the pictures that looked like some pretty deep water.

You wouldn't happen to have a GPS track of the trails would you? Or could you pick it out on a map?
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Monkeyboy

I'll try to dig up some of the old FRS newsletters, "the Oil Rag", and see what I can find as far as descriptions.

One of the last southern MO FRS events I went to was an October camp / play trip that was just south and west of the Branson area - I think - "Eagle River"? or something.

Where the hell's Pendy anyway, he was there....

Ok, on the office computer from 2002 in Randolph / Manhattan ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClayCrest.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	6818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DormieCrest.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	6819  

Old September 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

http://www.flatlandersjeepclub.com/ORV/ORV.htm

thats the best info i could find on it. You should stop by.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks Kris. Now where's my Kansas map!!! If anyone down here shows interest in a trip up there we'll stay in touch.
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Monkeyboy

Aha! The last time in SW Missouri was at Roaring River. There were trails south, east and west of there, seems like there was some significant wading in the Meramac and Crystal (?) rivers.

I'm still looking for the newsletter / magzines.

KAA
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:02 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
Aha! The last time in SW Missouri was at Roaring River. There were trails south, east and west of there, seems like there was some significant wading in the Meramac and Crystal (?) rivers.

I'm still looking for the newsletter / magzines.

KAA

If you do find any info and could bring a copy to Moab I would be beholden to you.
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Old FlatLandRoverSociety Oil Rag

I will try to find some old FlatLand news letters, and bring them to the event on Saturday. I know I still have a few including the all color issue. The news letters will have some articles about past events.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM
Monkeyboy

I didn't find the early newsletters at home last night, but I did find some of the later ones as well as a 2001 members roster here at the office.

I will make an extra set and bring it to Moab.
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Jon,

How did the event go? Anything of interest?
Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

« Rally "06 | Moab »