GWNF Feb 19th - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Erase my pencil me in. Have fun!!
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I did not know this was an OCC trail ride. I'm totally out if that's the case.

But if I ever do get hurt on the trail and I don't have my papers, just give the investigating officer my license plate number, or my wallet, or my cell phone, or my registration....I have a feeling they'll know what to do.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
LOL, whatever Dan. Like you were coming anyway. Is this a southern VA thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Virginia: Addition to Earlier Alert Today, Governor McDonnell Issues Directive
to Allow Lawful Carry in State Parks!

Earlier today, the National Rifle Association sent out an incomplete alert about Governor Robert F. McDonnell's recent changes to Virginia's Administrative Code.

On January 14, Governor McDonnell issued a directive to the Department of Conservation and Recreation to cease enforcement of 4VAC5-30-200 which prohibits open carrying of firearms in State Parks and has immediate effect.

In September of 2008, as Attorney General, Bob McDonnell issued an opinion that the Department of Conservation and Recreation lacked specific legislative authorization to further regulate firearms.

In order for the regulatory change to conform to his previous opinion and current law, Governor McDonnell also directed that 4VAC5-30-200 is exempt from the normal Executive branch review process.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=14664
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
LOL, whatever Dan. Like you were coming anyway. Is this a southern VA thing?
You're right that I probably would not come anyway. There are a number of reasons for that. First, I'm on call for work that day and need to stay within reasonable proximity of town. Second, I live here and have rode those trails since I was 15 years old and know them like the back of my hand. Those trail do not excite me unless they're covered in several inches, or feet, of snow. In other words, they're boring. I'm glad we have the trails that we have and I do all that I can to keep what we have open. But lets face it, those trails are boring.

That's not to mean I do not enjoy those trails. I love those trails. Those trails allow you to get away from everything and offer a very nice place to just go for a drive on. In the Spring and Fall those trails are really something to see. During hunting season I use those trails regularity and I'm appreciative that they're there.

But this time of year everything is dead. It's brown. Its been so warm that there is no snow or ice to spice things up or create a winter scene worth seeing.

If there was some snow on the ground, or if it were the time of year when the Laurel is in bloom, I'd be a lot more likely to find someone to cover my shift, or take a chance on getting called in to work and hit the mountains anyway. But it's not. I would be much more interested in sitting at a bar drinking beer talking to random people about random things.

I did not know this was an OCC trail ride. I think your "papers" are a bit funny, but I like the fact a club is setting an example of how to go prepared into the woods. This is what clubs are about -- teaching the Newb about preparedness and trail etiquette. Obviously, drinking on the trail is not a good trail etiquette. I would not believe in teaching Newbs it's okay to drink on the trail, in fact, I'd teach otherwise. So if I'm not going to promote drinking on the trail with Newbs, I'm also not going to participate in teaching Newbs how to go to the bar and get a few drinking before driving home on the street. If it's not okay in the mountains before driving around, why is it okay in a bar before going home?

This is not to say I do not enjoy a drink on the trail, and it does not mean I do not enjoy a drink before going home. Under the right circumstances I do, and other times I do out of bad judgment. But if I were in a club, which I'm not, I would not teach this behavior and I'm not going to push it on your club.

Should I ever want to participate in one of your club activities, I'll be sure to get my mom to sign a permission slip, though.
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Virginia: Addition to Earlier Alert Today, Governor McDonnell Issues Directive

to Allow Lawful Carry in State Parks!

Earlier today, the National Rifle Association sent out an incomplete alert about Governor Robert F. McDonnell's recent changes to Virginia's Administrative Code.

On January 14, Governor McDonnell issued a directive to the Department of Conservation and Recreation to cease enforcement of 4VAC5-30-200 which prohibits open carrying of firearms in State Parks and has immediate effect.

In September of 2008, as Attorney General, Bob McDonnell issued an opinion that the Department of Conservation and Recreation lacked specific legislative authorization to further regulate firearms.

In order for the regulatory change to conform to his previous opinion and current law, Governor McDonnell also directed that 4VAC5-30-200 is exempt from the normal Executive branch review process.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=14664
This is good but to carry outside of hunting season in the National Forest you do need a concealed carry permit.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Hey Dan and Walter. We will be in the GWNF the 25th to the 27th if you want to camp. Going to the usual spot just past the swisher dam. Should be about 10 of us. Mike V and Dan P will be there as well as a bunch of other hooligans.

Anyone else is welcome also. Just bring some booze.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
This is good but to carry outside of hunting season in the National Forest you do need a concealed carry permit.
I've got one, and I think a few others do as well. But that's a good point, I didn't realize that was a prerequisite...though keep in mind that in Virginia, open carry is totally legal as well so I don't see why that wouldn't also apply. And, also keep in mind that due to the recent change in the law this past July it actually is LEGAL to have a firearm in either your glovebox or any "closed container" in the vehicle without a conceal carry permit (in Virginia that is):

MOTOR VEHICLES AND VESSELS (House Bill 885)
For those who do not have a CHP, starting July 1 they can have a loaded handgun with them concealed in their motor vehicle or vessel as long as the handgun is secured in a container (such as a zipped bag, closed gun case, closed briefcase, etc.) or in a compartment (glovebox, console, etc.).

NOTE: Remember that if you don't have a CHP, you generally can't carry a handgun in such a closed container OUTSIDE of your motor vehicle or vessel.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5943
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 18th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I've got one, and I think a few others do as well. But that's a good point, I didn't realize that was a prerequisite...though keep in mind that in Virginia, open carry is totally legal as well so I don't see why that wouldn't also apply. And, also keep in mind that due to the recent change in the law this past July it actually is LEGAL to have a firearm in either your glovebox or any "closed container" in the vehicle without a conceal carry permit (in Virginia that is):

MOTOR VEHICLES AND VESSELS (House Bill 885)
For those who do not have a CHP, starting July 1 they can have a loaded handgun with them concealed in their motor vehicle or vessel as long as the handgun is secured in a container (such as a zipped bag, closed gun case, closed briefcase, etc.) or in a compartment (glovebox, console, etc.).

NOTE: Remember that if you don't have a CHP, you generally can't carry a handgun in such a closed container OUTSIDE of your motor vehicle or vessel.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5943
On federal lands federal law prevails and the feds have an agreement with VA to allow carry in the NF but only with a CCP when no hunting season is in.
The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r8/gwj...shtml#firearms
Because of the amount of time I spend in the NF this is one of the main reasons I got my permit.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 03:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff View Post
Hey Dan and Walter. We will be in the GWNF the 25th to the 27th if you want to camp. Going to the usual spot just past the swisher dam. Should be about 10 of us. Mike V and Dan P will be there as well as a bunch of other hooligans.

I'll try to be there. It would be good to see you guys again.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 04:43 AM ------

One other thing. If you are a holder of a Maryland CCP, which is doubtful as the state lawmakers embrace statism, it will not be recognized in the state of Virginia since they do not have reciprocity.
I;m in Maryland right now and not carrying. I would rather face street thugs then law enforcement thugs.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
I would rather face street thugs then law enforcement thugs.
what are you trying to say?
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
what are you trying to say?
You're a thug.
Maryland state troopers aren't exactly known for thier public relations.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff View Post

I'll be camping/wheeling in Canadensis, PA that weekend.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
On federal lands federal law prevails and the feds have an agreement with VA to allow carry in the NF but only with a CCP when no hunting season is in.
The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r8/gwj...shtml#firearms
Because of the amount of time I spend in the NF this is one of the main reasons I got my permit.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 03:37 AM ------

I'll try to be there. It would be good to see you guys again.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 04:43 AM ------

One other thing. If you are a holder of a Maryland CCP, which is doubtful as the state lawmakers embrace statism, it will not be recognized in the state of Virginia since they do not have reciprocity.
I;m in Maryland right now and not carrying. I would rather face street thugs then law enforcement thugs.

Walter, most residents of the Communist Republik of Marylandistan that hold CCW ( CCP ) are most likely to hold one non resident from VA as well as FL and UT, so they will be cover, sadly , not such benefit exist for residents of other states when visiting Commiland
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Walter, most residents of the Communist Republik of Marylandistan that hold CCW ( CCP ) are most likely to hold one non resident from VA as well as FL and UT, so they will be cover, sadly , not such benefit exist for residents of other states when visiting Commiland
http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_to_carry.pdf
For those looking for the easiest reciprocity CCW, Pennsylvania is a $26 fee to send in the app and you get a full carry permit that then gives you VA/etc. Link is above, and they generally get the permit back to you within 7-10 days after you send the paperwork in.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Maryland state troopers aren't exactly known for thier public relations.
Where ever did you get that idea? LOL!

Old February 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
LMAO... they are pretty happy with the trigger ... but there is a nice cure for those Cowboys..... in the middle of the BS ask them .. AM I FREE TO GO? they look at you like you have 2 heads.... they might cite you... but ....no more testasterone display
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:01 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
back to the subject at hand...

Jason and I will be heading down and meet ya'll at Sheetz.

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jonathan, Danny and Carlos, if you are coming, let me know if you are meeting at Sheetz in Harrisonburg or Wendy's in Manassas. Actually let me know if you are not coming too.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 04:55 PM ------

You too Clay, and Doug S
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Im in see you at h'burg, according to Pedro it is 10:30 am at sheetz, do not know the exact location of it as i will be driving from massanutten.
in any case my cell ph 703-786-2920
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Jonathan, Danny and Carlos, if you are coming, let me know if you are meeting at Sheetz in Harrisonburg or Wendy's in Manassas. Actually let me know if you are not coming too.

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 04:55 PM ------

You too Clay, and Doug S
Its looking like I'll meet you guys @ Sheetz in harrisonburg. I'll be there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events