GBES GPS Rally June 16/17 Nevada - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Michael Green
1967 109" Wagon, NADA
GBES GPS Rally June 16/17 Nevada

As the creator of Nevada Trophy... we think this event is worth going to, so for the second year, we're taking our 91 Range Rover (since the D90 is a 2 seater). There will be some great off-roading too!!!

The Great Basin & Eastern Sierra Geocachers (GBES) will soon present our 3rd annual Navigational Geocache Rally. There are several changes surrounding this year’s rally; one of those changes could mean a Championship for your group of cachers.

The first change is a new Rally Director. Bryan Wright – The SKWERL (RCGDS) has consented to be our chief official. This is wonderful news as it gives the rally a chance to grow and evolve. Since the inception of the rally, I believe that Bryan will have the greatest impact on it. On a personal level it not only gives me a chance to spend a little time on my personal endeavors at bringing a screenplay to "a theater near you" it also gives me a chance to use my creativity to better promote the event and bring new rally ideas to fruition.

The next big change is the venue. For the first time the rally is leaving Churchill County and moving a little closer to the High Sierra. For 2006 the GBES Navigational Geocache Rally will be based out of Gardnerville, Nevada. This gives us an opportunity to take our participants into an entirely different terrain.

Instead of May, we are moving the rally to June 16 and 17. We hope this will reduce any possible conflicts Geo-Woodstock and our caching counterparts in Utah (Cache-U-Nuts) who present an annual gathering on the third weekend in May.

We are also taking steps to use electronics to score the rally. This will not only give us more accuracy in scoring the rally it will also make it easier for our participants and course workers.

The next big change is what we are calling "Top Points, Group." Each team, upon entering the rally, will make a choice as to what Geocaching Group (GBES; N.U.T.S.; RCGDS; Nevada Geocaching; Nevada Trophy; Cache-U-Nuts) they want to represent. Since several of us have dual-membership teams will only be able to choose one group. During the scoring process each team’s points will be added to the group whom they represent. The group with the greatest accumulation of points will be this year’s "GBES Geocaching & Navigational Rally Top Points, Group." With this title also come a perpetual trophy that will be passed along to successive "Top Points, Groups" and an award that the winning group will keep.

Just to give you a little insight as to how previous rallies might have been scored, RCGDS (based out of Sacramento, CA) would have been the "Top Points, Group" in 2004 and 2005. This comes not just from the sheer number of entries representing RCGDS but the overall winners from the two previous rallies are RCGDS members. I’m pointing this out so it is not assumed that the trophy goes to GBES year after year.

To inspire new and greater participation from within each of the groups GBES is giving away one free entry to each of the groups we recognize. It is up to each club how the free entry is issued (contest; auction; club president). There are only two rules we have placed upon this free entry; it must go to a new, first time entry; we must have that entry by April 15. That’s it!

Why are we doing this? Simple. We want to share the fun and excitement of the rally with others by inspiring greater participation and bringing more cachers together in, not only competition, but also increased camaraderie from within and outside of each group.

The challenge has been made; the gauntlet has been thrown down!

What caching group will be the first "GBES Navigational Geocache Rally Top Points, Group?"

To arrange receiving the free entry one representative from each group must contact me via email at ASAP.

I hope to see you in Gardnerville this June.

Watch for NEVADA TROPHY 1996-2006 coming in December!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events