fort hood possibilities? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 25th, 2006, 01:47 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

fort hood possibilities?

This is a question for all of us Texas D-90 fans. Has anyone ever done any wheeling at fort hood? I have noticed pictures on some of the d-90 sites of folks at fort hood, but am not sure if they have public access trails that are usable. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You'd probably need a DoD sticker on all trucks, a risk assessment, schedule use of land with Range Control, conduct a safety briefing about UXO, insects, snakes, and proper hydration....in short, far too much of a pain in the ass to make it worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

There is actually a great article on the TAMOR website about the club off roading at fort hood and they don't really make it sound like it is that big a pain the in backside. They also have a great motorcross facility out there. They hosted a MTB race a few years back and a tank got lost on the course the night before and destroyed a great deal of trail. All of this was pre-911 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Fort Hood has been closed to wheeling for quite a while now. It was shut down around 9-11. I can't remember if it was pre or post though.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

I used to wheel there all the time...In a jeep, deuce-and-a-half, M-1 A1, M548, M1009... Look out for chiggers in the tall grass. Wear flea collars around your waist and soak your pant bottoms w/ diesel.
My record was 42 chigger bites. Cure is finger nail polish over the bite. All the jokers I was with only had purple. My 1SG was thrilled. If they still let you...LOOK OUT for Cowhouse Creek, flash floods and Tornados on Royal Ridge (learned that last bit first hand). Otherwise...The MOST fun I had wheeling in the ARMY!!!! (Also, look out for reservists with cases of beer stacked and strapped to the turret )
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Wouldn't surprise me if its still closed. We use to be able to go play on the ranges at Quantico pre 9/11. I was lucky enough last year to do a little wheeling on the mountain bike trails while setting up for a race.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
hood