Florida Road Western MA - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Are you telling me some dipshit has cut down the tree that would be right by your right front corner going up that! Unfucking believable. There is a line that is actually easier up that and you cleared the tree with no issues.

Edit: Yes indeed, some asshat has cut the tree down. Borrowed your pic Don. That was a live tree. I drew in the other line, just go into the ledge straighter and drive the drivers tire up the seam that the red line is drawn on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0022.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	27134  
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
Are you telling me some dipshit has cut down the tree that would be right by your right front corner going up that! Unfucking believable. There is a line that is actually easier up that and you cleared the tree with no issues.
That stump looked like it was there for a while so not sure when it was cut. This was my first time thru so not sure. Ron might have more insight.

I was trying a line a little more centered that would put me to the left of the stump but I kept getting pushed into the right side. From my limited knowledge of trail erosion from mtn biking it looked like a pretty good amount of material was lost on the right side that would hold you up and get you to the left of the stump/old tree.

The left side looked too tough. The first ledge would have been doable but there was that 2nd small shelf that would have stopped the trucks. Ron said last time he rode that a Toyota pickup did that line but it wasn't smooth.

Do you have any pics or vid of that line with the tree before it was cut down?

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2010 11:12 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post

Edit: Yes indeed, some asshat has cut the tree down. Borrowed your pic Don. That was a live tree. I drew in the other line, just go into the ledge straighter and drive the drivers tire up the seam that the red line is drawn on.
That's a bummer. Clearing a dead tree is one thing but a live one I'd feel guilty about. Not sure why that was done. Where Ron's truck is - it was blown out and was causing us to get trapped in. When you've done it was there material in there to hold the truck up? Even with some erosion, adding some rocks to fill in to make it would be a better move than cutting down trees I'd think.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Here is a link to the article Ron wrote in LRM from a couple of years ago. The very last photo is me going up the line I mentioned and the lower left photo on pg. 2 is a Russ in a D2 going up it as well.

http://www.vtxs.org/graphics/article...tober_2008.pdf

EDIT: attached is a photo from Sep '06 with me going up it a little too right of the line, you can see the tree at the left edge of the pic. Look how nice my panels were back then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sept_06.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	27135  
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

thanks to all that came , had a great time with minor damage to the d1.

the trail is much more eroded than the last time i did it. some lines have definetly changed. i couldnt even get my rear wheel on the root.
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:09 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think you see the tree in the end of my video too... Is that the line you are speaking of Kevin?

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looks like a fun trail!
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
I think you see the tree in the end of my video too... Is that the line you are speaking of Kevin?

Exactly the right line, and yes that is(was) the tree.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:40 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This pic is from'03, though I know the tree in question was there last year. That sucks. hope it was a result of the crazy storms we have had....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	27143  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Looks like a fun trail!
You'd have a good time on it Charles. Although might be a bit of a haul from VA - it's almost 5 hours from central NJ. There are a couple of other good spots in the area if you had a long weekend.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2010 10:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
This pic is from'03, though I know the tree in question was there last year. That sucks. hope it was a result of the crazy storms we have had....
Great pic! Maybe it was one of the storms that could have knocked the top of it down or something. I did notice a lot of other trees and brush cut and put off on the side of the trail.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2010 10:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post

Man Randy - you made that section look like getting into a driveway. I certainly didn't get it nearly that smoothly or that quickly. Nice driving :
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Picts look great Don!
I noticed you have a tree mark? on your driver's side on your soft top.
Was that from this trail? Makes me believe it was a tough one.
Reminds me that I really should take the fiberglass top off mine before wheeling again!
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Picts look great Don!
I noticed you have a tree mark? on your driver's side on your soft top.
Was that from this trail? Makes me believe it was a tough one.
Reminds me that I really should take the fiberglass top off mine before wheeling again!
Thanks Gery - I didn't notice anything until I saw the pic and looks pretty fresh so it was from that day. I hit rain on the way home from MA and I think it washed it off. There were some low hanging branches on the descent that I thought were coming thru the soft top but didn't. Had me a little worried but makes me happy that I "just" have a Rover's North top.

Even tho we got that Disco through it was a pretty hard trail. Ron, Jeff, & Jarise said overall it's probably the toughest "public" trail in MA due to the length and terrain. Like I was saying it took us 8 hours start to finish. I was absolutely smoked tired when I got to my parents Sunday night. There would have been no way to make it back to NJ. Great trail and great time - glad I got the Old Florida Road notched on my belt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events