Florida Road - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any Chance of hitting the trails a little later at about 9:30 ? Jorge and myself have a long ride to get there in the AM???
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

no problem, 9.30 is good for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Any Chance of hitting the trails a little later at about 9:30 ? Jorge and myself have a long ride to get there in the AM???

Ha! Jorge's ride is only long because of you slow-poke. The supercharger has no problem...

By the way, Mike H. is the craziest SOB I know. 7 inches of rain today and he's driving around town with his top off, leaving his truck in the Barnes and Noble parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL. I know. I keep it at 70 on the highway... I think it kills him to drive his that slow...
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Any concern with you guys over the amount of rain that OFR received and is still getting? In the spirit of Treading Lightly, as a club we (Adirondack Jeeps) are considering a different trail that less susceptible to wet weather damage for this weekend.

Lyman

Follow-up Post:

Severe Weather Outlook
11 inches of rain....

Heavy rain and major river flooding continues to plague portions of New England. Flood warnings and watches remain widespread. The Merrimack River in Lowell, Mass., may reach its second highest crest on record, exceeded only by the flood triggered by the Great New England Hurricane of 1938. The heaviest precipitation is currently focused on northeastern Massachusetts, extreme southern Maine and southern New Hampshire where over eleven inches of rain have already fallen in some spots; an additional inch or two may come down today.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Excellent question. I always felt FL road was fairly rocky throughout, and had good drainage. However I would definitely turn around at the water crossing. That area is already hotly contested.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

yes water can slow you down
Attached Images
File Type: bmp jimmyin hole.bmp (900.1 KB, 82 views)
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

FL road is 99% rock and treading lightly is no problem. As we are camping saturday night i was hoping to turn around at the water crossing as i have never been that way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

OFR is way more dirt than 1%. Much of it is dirt and roots right at the foot of rock ledges that gets easily torn up... Last spring was an excellent example of this, as some early season wheelers tore it up quite badly.

I'd say that just under 50% of it is affected adversly by heavy rains. With 10+ inches total of rain expected by Friday anyone who thinks its ok to tear up this trail under these extreme conditions is dillusional.

The accountablility has to start somewhere.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Florida is not getting the rain like NH. I agree about avoiding trail damage when possible.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-sto...ner=&article=9
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
OFR is way more dirt than 1%. Much of it is dirt and roots right at the foot of rock ledges that gets easily torn up... Last spring was an excellent example of this, as some early season wheelers tore it up quite badly.

I'd say that just under 50% of it is affected adversly by heavy rains. With 10+ inches total of rain expected by Friday anyone who thinks its ok to tear up this trail under these extreme conditions is dillusional.

The accountablility has to start somewhere.
I agree, there is allot of dirt inbetween all of the rock, and allot of it I am sure is now mud and ready to be washed away. Last time I went down the trail I rmember a good portion of it being wet, and it had not rained that hard prior to running the trail.

Also Mabell, It doesn't exactly hold upto water all that well either???? Is the camp ground going to still be open with 10" of rain? If it is will our campsite be underwater? I don't mean to rain on anyones parade but things are not looking so good.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

another report was 3-5"in the Adams area..., we got almost 3" in Luzerne and it doesn't even show on the map... 10" by the weekend is a real possiblilty.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:45 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Ah well, it looks like I'm committed for the whole weekend now so I won't have to feel bad about missing anything if you all bag it.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

"Adirondack Jeeps" are waiting until Thursday to make a final determination. Thanks for hearing what i had to say.

Lyman
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Lyman, has anyone been down there to have a look?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

Dave Brill called a friend in the area..said they didn't get pounded like farther East. No one has checked the trail itself. It's a 2 hr ride for me...a little far for recon when my i'm driving my tow rig as a daily driver. Heavy rain is forcast for tonight and tomorrow in that area. In any event, it's going to be very wet to say the least. OFR is most fun when dry...as is MaBell...just about zero traction when the granite is wet.... pretty much only good for tearing up swampers and denting frames.

I'm probably going to stay in NY and go 50 miles west to hit a dry trail with a small group. Not sure what the rest of ADK Jeeps is doing yet.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:49 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

As many of you know, I live near Florida Road and Ma Bell Trail.

If we have rain the rest of the week I'd suggest you will do less damage running Ma Bell as it's more rocky. If we have a lot more rain I suggest that as a more environmentally responsible alternate.

At this moment both are soggy but Florida Road is, I think, worse because of the wet areas that Ma Bell lacks.

We have not had anywhere near the rain that has hit the easter part of New England but it's still wet.

Any of you are welcome to check with me later this week.

John Robison
www.robisonservice.com
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone want to hit Paragon if we end up scrapping the northern MA trip? I am free all weekend so would like to go somewhere..
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite....ct=NTP&loop=no
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

No rain last night in the OFR area. Looks like our group is a go for Sunday. 4 days of dryer weather should allow the trail to drain.

My rig should be ready for a shakedown run tonight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events