First timer's day! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

First timer's day!

I was thinking of doing some easy trails and taking out anyone who hasn't been wheeling or just doesn't have much experience, I know of a trail very near to where I live that is a good learning trail and safe for stock trucks. I could do this soon, I was thinking the weekend of August 6th and 7th or the 20th and 21st. Is anyone interested? I am open to other dates later on but those 2 weekends are open to me right now. I offer because I know of a few of you in the area see the pictures of me in the mud up to the sills, or climbing a big rock and say no way I'll go out with them The only thing I ask you have is recovery points front and back, and that before we go (like a week before) try working the diff lock and low range a little just too free up the linkage.

So anyone up for some light off roading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Mike, I ran the idea by Kim and she's up for driving a bit - either the D90 or the Disco. Where do you have in mind?
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There is a trail about 15 min up the road from where I live in Manchester, it'c actually a road called Chester Turnpike and it runs through part of Bear Broke state park. It is marked as an unmaintained road through the section that we will be traveling on and it actually has some heritage as at one time it was the main road to bring goods up in the state. It's mostly dirt and rocks, a few little splashing puddles, then right before the end there is a short water crossing that will be optional as I plan on going back the way we came in, you can enter.exit at either end onto main roads but on the way in it is down hill for the most part so it will be a little more of a challenge getting out driving uphill. It takes me about an hour to drive it in my Defender by myself, so with a good group it should take 3 or 4 hours going both ways. I know of some other trials too if we get done early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Some pictures of the trail,

The first 2 are what it's like for the most part. The third is the worst spot before the water and you can see that it is completly optional as the go around is to the left. And the last is a picture of me crossing it a few winters ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01662.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	3469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01663.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	3470  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01666.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	3471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00608.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	3472  

Old July 26th, 2005, 08:05 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Im up for some off roading.

R
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

I'll add myself to the list.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey what days is everyone comming? I have 3 each day from BSROA so far.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Exit 6 off 93. What time?
Where is the Wendys? Off Hanover or Candia? [Exit6 from the north side puts you on Hanover and there is a McDs somewhere around there but no Wendys - unless you drive on down to the other road.]
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL well you found it anyway but when going north on 93 get off at exit 6, take a right and wendys is within eyesight from the off ramp on the left side of the road. When coming from the north get off, go through the first set of traffic lights then turn left at the next set, it will be about 100o feet down on the left.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Yeah it was mickey mouse work. I've been up and down hanover and knew it wasnt there Down towards Candia there was this really neat sign food with an arrow pointing to Wendys.

So how did the run go? I should hopefully be ready for the next one. I would propose meeting at the McDs off Rt3 (take exit 9N).
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The run went good, no damage and I even went back and forth through the water crossing, but for some reason no one wanted to go through it after me . I like the exit 6 because it's easy to see Wendies from the highway and it is a well known Rover meeting place now as I have left for a couple trips from there. We going to see ya Tuesday at Whipps?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events