Engone swap party in NOVA - Sat/Sun June 2nd - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Engone swap party in NOVA - Sat/Sun June 2nd

Ok, I'm finally fixing my D90. At a minimum I'll be pulling the existing engine on Saturday, but if the stars align I might even be installing the replacement then too. Either way I expect to be still at it on Sunday the 3rd.

Other than going from a v-belt setup to a serpentine belt setup the rest of the swap should be straight forward. I'm considering pulling my A/C if getting that hooked back up looks like a hassle, but will make that decision on the spot.

I'll take any and all help I can get, even if just moral support and someone to tell me I have bolts left over

Refreshments provided, room for side projects if needed.

http://lhsw.com/directions.html

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I will try to make it over in the afternoon on Saturday. I take it the motor is complete with ancillaries?
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Tony, look forward to seeing you there.

Yeah, Pendy hooked me up with the works, including fan, shroud (i will pull my flexalites) and a y-pipe since my cats are shot too

I just noticed I mistyped Engine in my post title. Oy.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Hey Charles,

I will try to make it by Saturday afternoon as well. Should be a blast!
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Damn, don't want to hi-jack your thread but if I had a engine swap day in sunny Los Angeles California, would anyone show up? lol

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

I'll see if I can get the warden to let me out for the day on Saturday or Sunday.. Just wondering but, did you ever figure out what was up with your current engine?
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Damn, don't want to hi-jack your thread but if I had a engine swap day in sunny Los Angeles California, would anyone show up? lol

Neil
Neil,

That is too funny. It would be a long flight, but I would make it! Maybe we can swap the 4.0 in your '97 with the 3.9 in your '94 just for the hell of it.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Great Greg

Eric, you were there when we did the leakdown test weren't you, and afaikt it showed no evidence of a head gasket leak or a block problem (but ianam). I also put a oil pressure gauge in and it seems to have decent oil pressure. So I can only conclude it just needs a top end rebuild to resolve the lifter noise, which I am too much of a woosie to try myself. LOL.

Neil, just fly Greg and I over and you'll have 2 right there.

charles
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
(i will pull my flexalites)

charles
Hmmm wonder if I could make them work on the Bentley -- know what diameter they are by chance?
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It's a flexalite 210 which are dual 12" fans. The size including the cowling is about 26x16"

Once I am sure I don't want them, I can give you a good deal on them if you want them.

charles
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:

Eric, you were there when we did the leakdown test weren't you,

charles

Ya, but I wasn't sure if you had done anything else since then and found out what was actually going on. At least now you'll have a spare engine for "just in case" after you fix it.. Or a power plant for a custom tube home built rock buggy..
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'd love to come, but it looks like roundtrip flights are running around 400 bucks right now, so I'll pass!
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Great Greg

Eric, you were there when we did the leakdown test weren't you, and afaikt it showed no evidence of a head gasket leak or a block problem (but ianam). I also put a oil pressure gauge in and it seems to have decent oil pressure. So I can only conclude it just needs a top end rebuild to resolve the lifter noise, which I am too much of a woosie to try myself. LOL.

Neil, just fly Greg and I over and you'll have 2 right there.

charles

Awesome! You guys don't mind flying as cargo/livestock via ups? I also have this room I'd like to ad on, need ditch digging and framing work help. You guys like ramen noodles and hotdogs? lol Seriously I have a 4.6 block I'd like to install one of these days, nobody in LA ever actually works on their own trucks, especially Land Rover owners, I guess I'm kinda alone here.

Robert Deniro
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Charles -- having done this once before, you may want to prep by pulling the floorboards, disconnecting the ancillaries, draining everything, etc. The biggest PITA the last time was taking the time to unplug all the wires and hoses and labeling them. See if Jim can give you some advice on lifting tabs, too. The rest is just turning wrenches.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Eric, yeah really nothing happened other than checking the oil pressure.

Neil, no-one works on their cars around here either. I live in a fancy neighborhood where most people get a new car every 2 -3 years and probably couldn't check their oil level let alone change it. I'm not sure a lot of them realize the hood actually opens. But you'd be surprised how many other rover owner are lurking about. Maybe check discoweb for disco owners who'd help.

Tony, why pull the floor boards? I didn't even need that when changing the tranny and the engine is all forward of the floorboards.

I'll double check but I think my engine has lifting points both front and rear.

I was thinking it might help to pull the breakfast along with the radiator to make it easy to position the engine. Is this a waste of time? Since I don't need the ancillaries pulled off, I was thinking I could yank the whole lump without pulling those off either.

But yeah I'll prep as best I can and I do need to get some masking tape or something to mark everything with. I expect it should go pretty quickly.

thanks
charles
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

If you pull the breakfast and radiator that will make it so you don't have to pick it up so high.

What type of engine hoist do you have ? Many wont lift high enough to clear a rovers fenders,breakfast etc. and would mandate removing these parts.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Charles -- floorboard removal is to help access the bellhousing bolts.

Doug, good point -- I know my hoist would be high enough either. Removing the breakfast and radiator would provide a good opportunity to have the radiator hot tanked as well.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Tony I'll ponder the floorboard removal some more. I don't recall having problems with the bell housing bolts when I did the tranny so I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I assume you mean the center/tunnel piece as well.

I can't check right now but I think the lift could do it as the guy I borrowed it from did his disco with it which sits as high as my truck. But I like the idea of getting the adiator checked out and I might just yank the A/C while I'm in there.

Can you reccomend any radiator shops?

thanks
charles (in OC for the weekend)
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Opps wish I'd seen this earlier. Now that I'm working in the hospital I have weekends again!! Let me know if you need any help in the future.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It's next weekend Tyler, so come on by.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
nova, part