Engone swap party in NOVA - Sat/Sun June 2nd - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
swappin

well, always like to make a deposit in the favor bank, but I'm doing my own engine swap this weekend. maybe you guys can tool on over when you're done

good luck
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I might very well be able to if I don't get my engine in on time. Pendy is running late and now the best case arrival is Sunday. I'll still be doing the pull on Saturday though.

Give us some details about the swap and when your working on it, maybe some of us can come by!
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I can make it up Friday night if you're still looking for help and I can pitch a tent in your back yard. Let me know.

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Though I don't know what Jim's schedule is like, should we put together a nova happy hour for next week?
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Alright, am I mistaken? Is this going on this weekend or next weekend?
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Though I don't know what Jim's schedule is like, should we put together a nova happy hour for next week?
I might be able to swing a happy hour next week but, the week after may be better for me.

I think I'm not going to make this weekends engine pull though... I'm house sitting for a friend and they just changed their plans and won't be back till later next week.
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I might very well be able to if I don't get my engine in on time. Pendy is running late and now the best case arrival is Sunday. I'll still be doing the pull on Saturday though.

Give us some details about the swap and when your working on it, maybe some of us can come by!
PM sent
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Alright, am I mistaken? Is this going on this weekend or next weekend?
It's this weekend, but if I don't get the replacement engine in time it may very well be next weekend too

You are more than welcome to come down, and I could probably convince the boss to let you sleep in our guest room even. But that's a hell of a long way to come just to wrench on someone else's truck, and I think I have plenty of help already.

The sites in DC are good though and most of it is free

charles

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
It's this weekend, but if I don't get the replacement engine in time it may very well be next weekend too

You are more than welcome to come down, and I could probably convince the boss to let you sleep in our guest room even. But that's a hell of a long way to come just to wrench on someone else's truck, and I think I have plenty of help already.

The sites in DC are good though and most of it is free

charles
Oh, and Dave needs help as well, so maybe you coming down *is* a good idea. lol. See his post above - he's putting a motor in his Series and has a few other odds and ends needing attention too.
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I'm stationed in Newport News right now, so it's about a 2 1/2 hour trip. Family is still in CT so I'm pretty bored on the weekends. I'll pm you my cell phone number. Might get on the road in about an hour or so.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, I PM'd you my info just in case. Looks like we'll be installing an engine one way or the other this weekend. If not mine, then we can go help Dave

If anyone coming has some chain, please bring it. I just realized the hoist I borrowed just has a very short piece of chain with a hook. I'll need a bit more to bolt up to the engine.

charles
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
ok, I'm a geek...I was wondering where South Riding was...so I did a google map search, and was delighted to find the name of the road in the upper left corner of the map:

http://tinyurl.com/3bgzc6

check it out...
dave
Quote:
Ok, I PM'd you my info just in case. Looks like we'll be installing an engine one way or the other this weekend. If not mine, then we can go help Dave

If anyone coming has some chain, please bring it. I just realized the hoist I borrowed just has a very short piece of chain with a hook. I'll need a bit more to bolt up to the engine.

charles
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
ok, I'm a geek...I was wondering where South Riding was...so I did a google map search, and was delighted to find the name of the road in the upper left corner of the map:

http://tinyurl.com/3bgzc6

check it out...
dave
You wouldn't want to live there. The houses need constant work, sometimes the mechanical equipment stops working randomly for no apparent reason, they cost more than they did when they were originally built, and the roofs and doors leak water when it rains.

Wait, am I talking about Defenders or the houses on Defender Drive?
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
LOL. Yeah, good street name. Would be a good address to have once they open up office space there (that section is zoned commercial).
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Tony, Greg, or anyone else considering coming down this afternoon, don't bother. The engine is out and I got confirmation I won't get the replacement this weekend. So Neil and I are off to Dave's!

I'll post pictures later.

charles
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Thanks for the heads up, I was just about to head out.

Greg.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Good news! That was fast . . .
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Glad I caught you guys in time (i couldn't find Greg's number).

I pulled the bumper and breakfast and drained the fluids Friday night. I left the radiator in as I had one stubborn connector to the A/C radiator that wouldn't budge.

Neil and I got going around 9am and he was a great help - even doing the messiest work underneath . We got some additional help from some OCC guys and despite taking a leisurely pace we had it out by 12:30.

I put up some pictures - mostly just trying to give myself a reminder of what went where since it is going to be 2-4 weeks before I can put the replacement in now and I have a crap memory.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/enginePull

charles
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yeah I just got back from the outter banks yesterday and didn't see this till now. Next weekend I'm in WV for a 24 hour mountain bike race.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
At this point I don't expect to be doing the install until the 23rd, but I'll let you guys know once I am sure.

Tony, can you recommend a radiator shop? I'd like to at least have it checked out.

charles
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
radiator shop

Whatever you do, don't use Archie's. I think it is in Fairfax. He rebuilt my SIII radiator with the wrong kind of core and a nasty dispute ensued, I ended up paying for it but it would always run hot and clog full of mud. The guy was a complete dick.

The Radiator Shop in falls church used to be good but they don't do repair anymore, just outright replacements.

I'm sending a heater core to a place in NY to get it rebuilt, sick of dealing with local companies that are no longer able to do the work. Can't recall the name of the company but I have it bookmarked at the office. Real nice folks and the turnaround is one day. Can't comment on the quality of the work but thery are still in business in an ever-shrinking field and so far they seemm to know what is up.

Quote:
At this point I don't expect to be doing the install until the 23rd, but I'll let you guys know once I am sure.

Tony, can you recommend a radiator shop? I'd like to at least have it checked out.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
nova, part