Engine install party in NOVA - Sun June 24th - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Cool. So what's the plan with the Bentley then? Got any pics?
Plan is to get the damned thing working -- in the time I've had it (got it non-functional) I've moved twice, bought a house, rebuilt it at night and on weekends for a year, met a girl, got married, changed jobs 4 times . . . it's time it moved under it's own power!

Don't have a picture on this machine of mine, but it looks a hell of a lot like the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley_special.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	9731  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sexy. Ok, so more detail needed Taking the body off doesn't sound like a good step in the direction of getting it running! What all do you need to do to this thing?

charles
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It was in an accident just before I got it, the frame and some of the front suspension components were tweaked. The trick is that it was rebodied in the 70s to be a hill climb car (hence the size of it) and some of the final engineering is a little . . . less that intuitive. So it's taking a while now to figure out what they were thinking in constructing some of the sub-assemblies.

Next step is to do some cutting and welding on the new frame to lower the drivetrain and move it back from its original location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Very interesting. You have to take pictures man! That and of course I need to come down there and give you a hand.

charles
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Despite the fact that my wife's a professional photographer (or maybe because of) there isn't a camera in the house I know how to work!

Anytime you feel like twisting a wrench, let me know!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
To burp my disco:
- lift a little the expansion/radiator plug side (not necessary, just makes it a little easier)
- remove the plug on the radiator, open the expansion tank
- fill the radiator as much as possible
- press the top radiator-engine hose (slowly) to try to pump coolant in (you should see bubbles going back to the radiator), add coolant to radiator, repeat until top hose "seems" almost full of coolant
- fill the expansion tank (I do close the cap to put pressure on the system, don't think leaving it open would help, but.... I don't know for sure)
- I drive it in a ditch (no seriously) so that the front-end is raised by at least two feet (well.... make that a feet, hard to find ditches that high! ;-) ) higher than the back of the engine
- turn the heater settings to full heat (now is definitely the time to do this! ;-) ) to clear air in the heating system (probably the hardest of all as this is at or above the expansion tank
- run the engine until it reached operating temperature
- verify that top hose is hot to the touch (the highest point), if not, then there is still air in it.
- add coolant if necessary to the expansion tank (probably needs more)

I think that's it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
3. The tach isn't working. What feeds that?
You already know that, but just for the records: the alternator feeds the tach. And when you see you tach needle switch between "0" and "correct RPM", it means:
- your alternator is not working properly
- very likely the regulator is dying
- you don't have much miles left (well.... Probably 50 or 60 miles on a fully charged battery, and probably 10-15 miles on a fully charged battery with the head lights on)
Don't ask how I know......
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I ended up opening the radiator cap and letting it warm up to the point the thermostat opened (could see coolant flow) and then topped off. I think we did a good job of filling it before though. I had forgotten about the heater - I'll do that to make sure it's all filled up.

I forgot to give Pendy my address so I'm another day behind now... Sucks to be me.

charles
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Bad alternator? Should I be able to disconnect the wires and measure voltage on the post that usually has the big brown wire? What should I expect?
That would be a bad thing to do unless you know exactly which wire to disconnect.
The alternator is getting a feed from the battery that helps the regulator regulate how much power needs to be generated. If you remove that feed, then it is very likely that the regulator will not regulate anything and there is a good chance of frying the alternator.
Could not find a good resource with nice diagrams on the Internet, but I used them, so they exist!
Generic but good: http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/Si...alternator.htm (does not explain how to troubleshoot, only "how it works")

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
I ended up opening the radiator cap and letting it warm up to the point the thermostat opened (could see coolant flow) and then topped off. I think we did a good job of filling it before though. I had forgotten about the heater - I'll do that to make sure it's all filled up.

I forgot to give Pendy my address so I'm another day behind now... Sucks to be me.

charles
Want to stop by Ernie's today and see if he can hook you up with the parts? I was told they are "standard" parts (assuming this is just the regulator). Costed me $70-80 to have it re-built, I'd assume that the parts would be much cheaper (unless they work for free! ;-) ).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Want to stop by Ernie's today and see if he can hook you up with the parts?
I knew I was bad with names..... "Artie's Auto Electric" is what you are looking for: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...AL-xZDCAw&cd=1
[pretty cool map with contact info and even someone's feedback on the shop]

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
If anyone has a diagram of the serpentine belt setup on a '94 Disco please let me know.
Unless you guys changed it after I left, the serpentine was routed properly (we changed the routing while I was there to match my Disco's routing):
http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/s...g_defender.cfm
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, after some heckling by Loic, I just pulled the backs off the alternators and saw there is a little assembly in the back that comes of easy (probably the regulator and diodes etc all in one). I swapped them and the alternator now works! Thanks Loic. Who would have thought they'd see the day when a French guy was helping a South African work on a British truck over the internet (IM) when they live about 10 miles apart (in the US). LOL.

I took it for a short test drive and temps held steady on the center. Once I get my VDO gauge in I'll know for sure exactrly what temp it is, but I'm optimistic things are ok.

Yeah, thats the same belt routing.

charles
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
temps held steady on the center
Steady center is good!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Excellent news, Congratulations!
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I'm tickled pink. My shiny new VDO gauge says the temps are holding steady at 190 degrees, so I think my radiator is fine! I adjusted my kickdown cable a bit, but think I need to back it off slightly. Other than that, I'm all done with the engine related swap stuff. I have of course a host of other things to address

I guess I'll do a writeup and take some post install picks, but since Pendy gave me a complete setup there really isn't much to say

1. Get a complete rebuild from Pendy, hand delivered, and with last minute instructions, and do what he says.
2. Have some friends over to do 80% of the work.
3. Clean/replace plugs after getting the oil pressure up (it will be flooded)
4. Try to stop smiling all the time because it hurts.

charles
Attached Images

Old July 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
ok, I lied

I *thought* she had been idling long enough when taking that picture but she clearly hadn't warmed up all the way yet. The steady point is 195 degrees, and today driving in about 90 deg weather it moved over a needle width to say 198. Is that still good?

I also observed that when starting cold, it steadily increases to 205 (at which point I assume the thermostat opens) and the very quickly drops to 195 - so fast you will miss it if not paying attention.

I also forgot I need to adjust my hood or get the bow out of my fender. Does anyone have any instructions how to adjust the front hood height? I dont see any adjustment in the center catch itself, and shortening the bump stops just gives the hood more play. The assembly that mounts on top of the radiator didn't appear to have any up/down play in it when I put it in.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
engine, nova, part