Engine install party in NOVA - Sun June 24th - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Did you double check the ingition module connection? Pendy, I think I told PT something about excessive nervous giggling due to the road trip. He seemed concerned.

Anybody want to help me pull the body off of the chassis of the Bentley this weekend? Have engine hoist and beer . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks

Anybody want to help me pull the body off of the chassis of the Bentley this weekend? Have engine hoist and beer . . .
If you don't get enough folks to help this weekend I may be able to help next weekend.. Or the 4th of July if you aren't doing anything then since I'm "a free man" on the 4th and don't have any plans.
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If you need help this weekend I'm actually free all weekend.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Wish I could have stuck around to help. Good to meet you all. I hear Tony thought I was outlandish upoun meeting me.

Its tough being a legend.
You mean It's tough being a legend in your own mind

It was good meeting you. I think you packed too much in too little time for your trip though. You should have hung out for a bit (and not just because my shit doesn't run yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Charles did your lungs recover from the diesel soot treatment?

JP
Yeah. Then I looked at Carl and said "Is that normal?"

Quote:
What day/time? I can't think straight right now, and would need to check with the boss anyway, but might be able to - need specifics.

charles
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Nervous giggle-- good thing I don't worry what concerns ol' PT. I was definitely overfueled on Mountain Dew at that point though.

Definitely to short of a trip. But I was two days late leaving and it seems I'm two days late getting back. To busy lately.

Hope to hear you are burning fuel soon, Charles.

My new rusty truck about bent in half on the trip home. I think I strapped it to the trailer to tight.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:

Tony,

I can help out on the 4th, heading out of town this weekend.

Greg
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
PT?

Pendy, hoping to get her running this evening. Everyone hold thumbs for me. Can we see some pics of the new toy?

Tony, the 4th is a no go for me, but if I don't get mine running I need to work on it this weekend anyway. Will have a better idea tonight, but Sunday may still be a possibility for me.

charles
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks guys -- I'm going to try to pull it Saturday with the engine hoist, will post when I've got the time sorted.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
hey charles et al, sorry I didn't get to join the fun. I was off in canada for the OVLR birthday Party. Great fun and plenty of good traisl, plus slightly cooler weather than what we've been having here. Charles glad to hear you got the motor in, and pendy sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. I'm still working on my conversion engine so I'll mostly be tied up for a few more weekends. shipfitters disease anyone?

http://www.fourfold.org/daveb/2007en...ne%20Work.html

seems the studs on my scotty's adapter don't quite line up with the bellhousing. no wonder it is so hard to get the engine in every time...

cheers
dave

Quote:
Thanks guys -- I'm going to try to pull it Saturday with the engine hoist, will post when I've got the time sorted.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Haha great pictures Dave. That was Neil that "chided me to clean up the engine bay some more.". It's looking good.

charles
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thumbs up She runs!

Sort of.

I have a few issues to iron out, but she now runs! I came full circle, and the timing may possibly have been off a tooth but I suspect it was just severely flooded all along. The good news is with this much practice, I can pull the distributor and change the angle in about 3 minutes flat now

If anyone can give guidance on these issues I'd appreciate it.

1. Dash shows dimly lit battery icon, so I assume that means alternator. If I pull the positive cable from the battery while running she stops dead. I get the same dim light if I disconnect the alternator wires.

Mis-wired? I don't see how it could be but I didn't hook it up

Bad alternator? Should I be able to disconnect the wires and measure voltage on the post that usually has the big brown wire? What should I expect?

2. I took it for a very brief test drive and the temp gauge started climbing immediately so I just turned around. It dropped down again at idle. Can this be just written off to needing the timing set and air in the cooling system? Pendy gave me a specific sending unit to use so is it safe to assume my stock gauge is accurate (enough)?

Disco guys, how do you burb your coolant systems? I don't have the top filler neck thing anymore, but have the funky Y shaped lower radiator hose that has the extra tube going up to the reservoir (from a disco too).

What's the proper procedure to set the timing and what should it be? Plug the vacuum advance and set the X degrees and a certain RPM?

3. The tach isn't working. What feeds that?

Other than those issues, I have a few body parts to throw on and maybe figure out how to stop the shroud rubbing on the belt and I should be good to go. I shimmed up one side with a washer, so hope that fixes it, but for the life of me don't understand why there would be such tight tolerances there!

Thanks again to all that helped, and damn that Jeep guy

charles
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Glad you got it going for the weekend.
Sounds like the battery field wire and tach wire got switched on the alternator.

Scary on the hot reading. You need to burb it and keep the engine temps down during its initial run in especially. Did you remove the cap from the radiator? Add coolant with it running until it pours forth and cap'n add. leave the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens.

Time at 6' before for now. I still think the belt is routed incorrectly. Keep after it.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Jim, I'll give those a try this afternoon! I guess I'll take a picture of the belt routing. I had removed it while playing the "turn the distributor" game but put it back the same way. Seems right to me.

If anyone has a diagram of the serpentine belt setup on a '94 Disco please let me know.

thanks
charles

p.s. Tony, what's the word? I'm not sure yet but I might be able to get my issues sorted out early enough to take a test drive to Arlington this afternoon. I won't be able to get back to the truck before noon though.
p.p.s. Jim, you're slowly elevating to legend in my mind. lol
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

No worries, charles -- you've got far more important stuff going on over there! For anyone else, feel free to give a call -- we're going to jump in @ 12-1. If you're interested, my cell is 703 946 7969.
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah not getting anywhere fast. Swapping the wb and by wires on the alternator didn't help, and after putting the hood on I see I will indeed have to lower the coolant reservoir.

Looking for a wiring diagram now.

charles
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hope things well for you guys today Tony, sorry I couldn't make it.

It turns out my alternator is bad which covers the alternator and tach issue. I was going to attempt to put the internals of mine into the other housing but the bearings on my are going and it only tested as barely working anyway. Pendy is sending me another

I did some more checking and the coolant reservoir isn't hitting the hood. It seems *someone* sitting on the passenger fender put a decent bow in it, i assume because the new coolant reservoir doesn't have a bottom brace (yet) to give added support. Let's blame it on the Jeep guy :D. I'll try do some "adjusting" of the fender.

I didn't get much else done today other than make sure the cooling system is burped. I'll have plenty of time to tie up the other loose ends before I get the alternator and be able to test drive it, but no worries. Alls well that ends well.

Thanks again to Pendy for more of his time to help troubleshoot the alternator issue.

charles
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

sounds like you're well on your way. We got the body off of the chassis today -- it was 4 hours of moving straps, moving hoist, cussing, moving straps, moving hoist, drinking, finding the bolt I hadn't found before, moving straps . . .
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Cool. So what's the plan with the Bentley then? Got any pics?
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

How bad is the bow? A new driveway and passenger fender...my trips to NOVA are getting expensive.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
No worries man, nothing that can't be fixed. I'm going to adjust the front bump stops down a little as I think they were too long anyway, and that will reduce the gap somewhat. Then I think a carefully placed 2x4 and bottle jack will take the bow out and I just need to make a bracket to make it at least as strong as the stock setup.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
engine, nova, part