Eastern NC Land Rover Farm - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:59 AM
mdalbrit
Matt Albritton
1985 Ninety

Eastern NC Land Rover Farm

Everyone that lives around Raleigh knows how much of a pain in the ass it is to find legal offroading spots (other than URE of course), so I have come up with a solution:

I have a farm in Greene County, NC (near Greenville NC) that has some pretty cool terrain that has yet to be tapped -- there are a couple of trails that my brother and I have built, but there could be many more. The area that I have 'roped-off' is labeled "Riverine Swamp Forest" on the USGS map, and it has some serious mud.

Basically, I want to turn it into a '4x4 park' for responsible Land Rover owners. Anyone willing to wield a machete, bush ax, or chainsaw in order to help me cut new trails would have free and open access to the park (within reason).

I have been cutting trails by myself, armed only with a machete and bush ax (no chainsaw) and have made some progress. However it is slow going working solo against the bush.

I figured that we could camp out there one weekend closer to spring, ride the existing trails, and maybe work on some new ones. I don't have a weekend in mind -- but if yall want to come up with one, I am totally flexible.

Here is a link to Google Earth map (https://goo.gl/maps/f2SHz)

If you are interested, shoot me an PM or email (mdalbrit@gmail.com).

Thanks,
M

PS. I attached a video taken from one of the trail rides I have done out there recently.
Attached Files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM
mdalbrit
Matt Albritton
1985 Ninety

Here are some more pictures of the farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141115_131542_478.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	110637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141122_171723.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	110638  

Attached Files
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That's a great offer. Certainly lacking ORV areas in this part of the country. If you are considering doing it commerically, you definitely want to look into insurance coverage. ROAV leadership are probably a great resource for finding out what you need. Good luck!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would also suggest reaching out to CROC and the Old North State clubs as well both are great clubs who put on great events.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Awesome. My parents have a house down there right up 17 from you.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:31 AM
mdalbrit
Matt Albritton
1985 Ninety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
That's a great offer. Certainly lacking ORV areas in this part of the country. If you are considering doing it commerically, you definitely want to look into insurance coverage. ROAV leadership are probably a great resource for finding out what you need. Good luck!
Preciate the advice! I have considered the commercial route, but really and truly I just want to go wheeling with other Land Rover owners in a safe and legal place. I go out there alot by myself, but its just not as fun.

The way I look at it is, anyone who wants to off-road responsibly in a private and legal place can go out there with me as one of my friends -- that way there is less rigmarole and red tape.

Obviously I don't want to get sued. Common sense and courtesy is all I would ask of anyone wanting to wheel the trails.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Friendships can be tested when you are dealing in damage or medical bills in the $10k+ range. At least get the facts.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:59 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yep.. It's. Sad fact that we live in a litigious society that wants to blame someone else for their own stupid action, there seems to be no personal responsibility anymore. At least have an indemnity paper drafted and signed by everyone who goes onto the property, but even that is only as good as the other parties lawyer isn't.. It's inversely proportionate..
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:38 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Matt:
If you contact the local clubs, they can organize work weekends and cut trails, supply insurance, and then you could hold some events to finance the various property improvements and cover the insurance payments.

This is the same model other clubs have used successfully for years.
I think you are on to something very very positive.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:42 AM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalbrit View Post
...truly I just want to go wheeling with other Land Rover owners in a safe and legal place. I go out there alot by myself, but its just not as fun.

The way I look at it is, anyone who wants to off-road responsibly in a private and legal place can go out there with me as one of my friends -- that way there is less rigmarole and red tape.

Obviously I don't want to get sued. Common sense and courtesy is all I would ask of anyone wanting to wheel the trails.

I think it's a great idea, but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't hurt to protect yourself from litigation.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM
mdalbrit
Matt Albritton
1985 Ninety

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
I think it's a great idea, but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't hurt to protect yourself from litigation.
Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll have to talk to my lawyer. Damnit.
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:26 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

I Have been with the ROAV leadership off and on for a while and could talk you through it. Between Croc And ONS you should be able to get what you need. We pay about 2000 a year for insurance for 2 events.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:16 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Matt, great offer, and thank you. I get down that way a fair amount and would be happy to pitch in.

Off subject, but are the hog or poultry barns yours, by chance? I work with production animal ag producers and rarely (ie never) run across Rover enthusiasts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
land rover