cross-post: Things I learned (or was reminded of) in Moab: - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old November 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

cross-post: Things I learned (or was reminded of) in Moab:

- I need friends that wheel more... the panzy-ass stuff I've been doing is just that...
- my ~34" tires are pretty much itty-bitty
- standard low seems low until you want to crawl it then it's way too high (mmmm crawler gears... I wants them)
- rock guards are your friend: I think I hit everything that hangs even slightly below the frame (and a couple things that are supposedly above the frame)
- whoever designed the link for the rear trailing arm on a defender was either a sailor or a geologists... those bloody things are either designed as anchors or rock samplers as they catch on everything and are now full of rock dust... I need to figure out some way of moving them
- while the ARB bumper looks nice it sure sticks way the heck out there and hangs bloody low
- my rock sliders are crap... (ONE bolt and a little tab to hold the back half of it... are you kidding me?! (why yes.. I did bend it up into my body panel thanks for asking))
- while a detriot rear and a trutrack front seems like a nice idea in theory... the front trutrack is complete crap when you have a manual (let's see, brake, clutch and gas at the same time... nice idea knumbnuts)
- 15 psi turns into 0 psi pretty fast when your tire keeps burping... maybe I do need those beadlocks...

quote of the trip: "body alignment on a defender is a state of mind"

MAJOR thanks to Bill and KC for letting me tag along... they sure didn't need me and I definitely slowed them down a lot... but they were very kind to a n00b
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Moab is really good at finding the weak link(s) in a truck.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sounds awesome. Got any pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Since you are in CO, stop by Rockware and buy a set of Frame sliders, they will protect the little ears that stick out and allow you to keep them intact. Excellent way to spend $300.

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
- I need friends that wheel more... the panzy-ass stuff I've been doing is just that...
- my ~34" tires are pretty much itty-bitty
- standard low seems low until you want to crawl it then it's way too high (mmmm crawler gears... I wants them)
- rock guards are your friend: I think I hit everything that hangs even slightly below the frame (and a couple things that are supposedly above the frame)
- whoever designed the link for the rear trailing arm on a defender was either a sailor or a geologists... those bloody things are either designed as anchors or rock samplers as they catch on everything and are now full of rock dust... I need to figure out some way of moving them
- while the ARB bumper looks nice it sure sticks way the heck out there and hangs bloody low
- my rock sliders are crap... (ONE bolt and a little tab to hold the back half of it... are you kidding me?! (why yes.. I did bend it up into my body panel thanks for asking))
- while a detriot rear and a trutrack front seems like a nice idea in theory... the front trutrack is complete crap when you have a manual (let's see, brake, clutch and gas at the same time... nice idea knumbnuts)
- 15 psi turns into 0 psi pretty fast when your tire keeps burping... maybe I do need those beadlocks...

quote of the trip: "body alignment on a defender is a state of mind"

MAJOR thanks to Bill and KC for letting me tag along... they sure didn't need me and I definitely slowed them down a lot... but they were very kind to a n00b
Save the ARB bumper, they make nice snow plows.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
second that, bought them for my 90...great piece of kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Since you are in CO, stop by Rockware and buy a set of Frame sliders, they will protect the little ears that stick out and allow you to keep them intact. Excellent way to spend $300.
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

These are KCs pics of the trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00882.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	23129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00893.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	23130  

Name:	DSC00898.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	23131   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00899.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	23132  

Name:	DSC00900.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	23133  
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
awesome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events