Conclave 2014 - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,075
Registry
Big thanks to the Conclave and all sponsors for another solid event.

Weather was perfect and the company equally as great.

Many thanks to Jonesy as well. Your Aussie hospitality and good humor never ceases.

Til Next Year!

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-358208851.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	809.9 KB
ID:	103421   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1281661010.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	103423  

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #162  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,785
Event was very good.

Bill had an injector seating issue which he fixed.
His hybrid with coil springs did a great job off road and was done up very nicely.
It is a very functional classic looking LWB 60s era Station Wagon.

Jeff had a serious starting and running issue with a 300TDI.
We determined it was a fuel delivery issue.
Jeff borrowed a 12V diesel fuel pump from Jonsey.
After installing the pump, it exposed a leak which was fixed.
The engine ran nicely after the 12V pump pushed all the air through the system.
You just have to love a self bleeding fuel system.

On the way home, my 110 was getting hard to handle.
The steering wheel started to cock progressively to the left and after about 50 miles, pulled over at a truck stop to investigate.
Mark saw the issue right away.
It was a bent rear track rod from wheeling that continued to bow even more with every mile.
Mark called Uncle Douglas who called Jeff.
They both circled back around out of their way and met Mark and I at the truck stop.
Jeff just happened to have a rear track rod that he had loaned someone who returned it at Conclave.
I popped the old rod off, went to the truck stop shop, bummed a drill, drilled out the broken off cotter pins in the tie rod ends of Jeff's track rod, replaced the rod, and was back on the road in a few hours... this time without the squirley steering.
Thanks to Mark, Uncle Douglas, Trey, and the Jeff man for "saving the day"!!!

Dave, Tom, and their other brother Dave helped load a 2.5 NA Diesel in my sanky.
Dave had picked it up in Boston and was kind enough to bring it to Conclave.
Can't wait to pull the head (after I finish a GM 2.5 engine project) to see if a TDI head will fit the 2.5 NA for the hybrid TDI engine project.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Looks like a fantastic showing of some of the best dudes. Did anyone stay in the cabin?
Goose, Frank, and Andrew stayed in the new cabin.Not sure who was in the old one. Andrew said it was so loud he got no sleep.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #164  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
DannyboyUpstate's Avatar
DannyboyUpstate
Status: Offline
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany, NY!!
Posts: 395
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Thanks to Mark, Uncle Douglas, Trey, and the Jeff man for "saving the day"!!!

Wow! That's awesome. Some kinda fellas!
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:59 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,498
Registry
I will chime in with my thanks to the hosts and sponsors who made it a great weekend of full on Land Rover-ness. The weather and the venue were both as perfect as anyone could want.
I want to say thanks to all who took time to stop by and offer their compliments to my build. Very much appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks Robert, Doug and all who helped me with my little problem. Truck ran way better on 4 than 3 going home.

I had a small thing happen on the way home...truck went into "death wobble" just pulling into Winchester. Stopped in a CVS and checked the obvious (yes tightened the radius arm bolts ) and couldn't really see anything. Got another 5 miles down the road and it did it again. Poop! Well this time I pulled into a car dealer's and got on some nice flat asphalt in the shade. Readjusted the hubs and swivel preload. Hour later back on the road and cripes it did it again! OK now I'm getting mad, so I swapped rubber around thinking a tire was the problem. No go it went and did it one more time. OK well I guess I'm driving home at 35. I did manage to get up to 50-ish here and there. fortunately the traffic was heavy on the Beltway and it only wobbled out twice on the Dulles Toll Road, so I got back in one piece. Interesting drive home to say the least. Anyway that's my only issue with the truck which I'll get sorted out pronto. Suspect alignment and a steering box problem. Taking it offroad prolly loosened something up cz it was fine before.
So anyway hats off to all and thanks for a great time.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Event was very good.

Bill had an injector seating issue which he fixed.
His hybrid with coil springs did a great job off road and was done up very nicely.
It is a very functional classic looking LWB 60s era Station Wagon.

Jeff had a serious starting and running issue with a 300TDI.
We determined it was a fuel delivery issue.
Jeff borrowed a 12V diesel fuel pump from Jonsey.
After installing the pump, it exposed a leak which was fixed.
The engine ran nicely after the 12V pump pushed all the air through the system.
You just have to love a self bleeding fuel system.

On the way home, my 110 was getting hard to handle.
The steering wheel started to cock progressively to the left and after about 50 miles, pulled over at a truck stop to investigate.
Mark saw the issue right away.
It was a bent rear track rod from wheeling that continued to bow even more with every mile.
Mark called Uncle Douglas who called Jeff.
They both circled back around out of their way and met Mark and I at the truck stop.
Jeff just happened to have a rear track rod that he had loaned someone who returned it at Conclave.
I popped the old rod off, went to the truck stop shop, bummed a drill, drilled out the broken off cotter pins in the tie rod ends of Jeff's track rod, replaced the rod, and was back on the road in a few hours... this time without the squirley steering.
Thanks to Mark, Uncle Douglas, Trey, and the Jeff man for "saving the day"!!!
You would have done the same, its how we all roll. It did seem odd driving that same 35 miles of interstate 4 times though-the fourth time the Twilight Zone music was playing in my head. I must say Jeff's travel spares amazed me. The guy had tie rod ends, spindles, cv's etc all spotless in plano box's and didn't even have to dig around for them. Jeffs lwb with the 300 and straight pipe definitely needs a muffler. Running down the interstate @ a touch over 70 he was louder than the semi's.

When I was talking with Bill about his 109 he told me his wife had bought him the 109 decades ago as a present so bringing it back to life with a tdi drive train, coil chassis, power steering, discs brakes, defender seats, instead of simply buying a 110 made all the more sense.
Gotta love nostalgia, right down to the elephant hide seats, cheers again on a job well done Bill.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,968
Registry
Any GTT sightings?
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I will chime in with my thanks to the hosts and sponsors who made it a great weekend of full on Land Rover-ness. The weather and the venue were both as perfect as anyone could want.
I want to say thanks to all who took time to stop by and offer their compliments to my build. Very much appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks Robert, Doug and all who helped me with my little problem. Truck ran way better on 4 than 3 going home.

I had a small thing happen on the way home...truck went into "death wobble" just pulling into Winchester. Stopped in a CVS and checked the obvious (yes tightened the radius arm bolts ) and couldn't really see anything. Got another 5 miles down the road and it did it again. Poop! Well this time I pulled into a car dealer's and got on some nice flat asphalt in the shade. Readjusted the hubs and swivel preload. Hour later back on the road and cripes it did it again! OK now I'm getting mad, so I swapped rubber around thinking a tire was the problem. No go it went and did it one more time. OK well I guess I'm driving home at 35. I did manage to get up to 50-ish here and there. fortunately the traffic was heavy on the Beltway and it only wobbled out twice on the Dulles Toll Road, so I got back in one piece. Interesting drive home to say the least. Anyway that's my only issue with the truck which I'll get sorted out pronto. Suspect alignment and a steering box problem. Taking it offroad prolly loosened something up cz it was fine before.
So anyway hats off to all and thanks for a great time.
That 98 disco Bobeck picked up for me last week did the same thing 15 times on the 250 mile drive home, intimate with the stress related anger that situation begets. Since you have checked swivel preload and wheel bearings,check your panhard bolts. If memory serves they are supposed to be over 100ft lbs.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:30 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,498
Registry
Yup, will recheck everything and prolly take it in for an actual alignment with my man Tito. The whole front end was pretty much eyeballed. At least it didn't do it when rolling thru downtown Middleburg. The lunchtime crowd in the sidewalk eateries were giving me some serious face. Klak klak klak klak klak klak whiirrrrllll klak klak klak....
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
Status: Offline
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,445
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Any GTT sightings?
It was permanently fixed to the roof of a locked Disco. With Thule locks. Very nicely fixed so there was absolutely no chance of it's accidental removal.
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
It was permanently fixed to the roof of a locked Disco. With Thule locks. Very nicely fixed so there was absolutely no chance of it's accidental removal.
Although the unsecured ladder went for a stroll :-)

And even yours kept it company LOL
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Any GTT sightings?
Jonesy and Goose were all over that like white on rice. Pedro made sure it wasn't happening with locking knobs on his rack.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Jpayne's Avatar
Jpayne
Status: Offline
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,393
Registry
Looks like a darn good time. I would like to make it up there for one of these events
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
Looks like a darn good time. I would like to make it up there for one of these events
A lot of us are looking forward to coming to visit you in two weeks. Hope the home fires are burning if ya know what I mean....
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Oh, I know what you mean. Who doesn't like a good snuggle?

-Jeff

I hear that a lot about you Californicators.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Jpayne's Avatar
Jpayne
Status: Offline
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,393
Registry
Gotcha covered Doug.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Erik@Lucky8's Avatar
Erik@Lucky8
Status: Offline
Erik
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 432
We had a great time. Good seeing everyone, and thanks for being courteous and waving as you all drove by!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	103427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	103428  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	103429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	103430  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	103431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	103432  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	103433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	103434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	103435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	103436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	103437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	103438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	103439  
__________________
Current:
2007 Range Rover L322 - 4.4L HSE LUX
2003 D2 - Monte Carlo Blue 2" TF lift
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
Gone:
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Offline
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 2,323
Registry
need to know

OK, I need to know what happened with the red 110 on antique plates, was it the bumperette that caused the mess?

I was just about to buy a set but looking at this, well ah

But thanks for all the pictures, and ya'll had a good trip
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
ezzzzzzz
Status: Offline
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portsmouth Virginia
Posts: 758
Always the adventure (+22 years) with my good friend, Robert Davis.
After we realized Robert's tierod was bent I quickly called Uncle Dougie who then called Jeff. It is the comraderie of these LR people that keeps my faith in humanity. They backtracked about 30 miles to the rescue. Jeff's bin of spares was impressive. I suggested right there that we should carry a notebook to list repair items that should be carried on these trips. It was amazing that the tierod ends actually came out with little effort. More amazing that someone had returned that tierod to Jeff after a similar experience at Conclave 2013! Thanks to the Rover Gods. Everyone hung out until it was sure Robert would be back on the road. After we pulled out of the truck stop Robert was cruising at 60-65 without issues. I passed him to get into Harrisonburg to see my daughter,Taylor, at JMU for a few minutes. My idea was to catch back up as he passed through. I never saw him again and phone attempts only reached his voicemail. He finally called outside of Williamsburg (15 miles behind me) to say he was flying along uneventfully. I'd hoped to get home about 4:00 but arrived at 7:30.
A big thanks to Bill for letting me drive his beautiful 109. The restoration was well executed. After much too long I've got to get a trail rig running again.
Watching those kids wack at that oak with those dull axes made me feel quite uneasy as it was definately a bad accident waiting to happen. I think it was Jonesy who said they wouldn't have sex for 3 weeks with all of those blisters..ha. Youthful bravado and a bunch of crazed adults(?) kept it going despite my apprehension.
My biggest regret is that time and distance prevents us from getting together more often. It is always a highlight to see old friends and acquaintances after months apart.
I probably owe an apology to those at the auction after I got on my soapbox about the effort and cost of putting on an event. I've been involved in ROAV, and now Conclave, since '92. At the end of the day, I want to know that we, collectively, through registration and auctions have raised enough funds to cover all fees. No one should have to pay out of pocket to 'zero' out the balance sheet and it does happen more than most know.
Kudos to Justin and Goose for their efforts to bring another event to a successful conclusion!
See everyone at Expo East in a couple of weeks....
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:41 AM
Z.G's Avatar
Z.G
Status: Offline
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 4,669
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
OK, I need to know what happened with the red 110 on antique plates, was it the bumperette that caused the mess?

I was just about to buy a set but looking at this, well ah

But thanks for all the pictures, and ya'll had a good trip
That's Craig's, and it only happened because the rear xmember was a bit toast
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conclave registration is now open Conclave Trips, Trails and Events 251 January 8th, 2013 11:31 PM
Engine/transmission/transfer case group buy - conclave delivery crown14 For Sale - Parts 9 September 27th, 2012 01:18 PM
Win a Free trip to the Conclave!! Fivespddisco Misc. Chit-Chat 6 September 7th, 2012 08:06 AM
Conclave 9-20 9-23 Conclave Trips, Trails and Events 45 July 29th, 2012 06:47 PM
Colo English Motoring Conclave 9/18 Art Vigil Trips, Trails and Events 0 September 14th, 2005 07:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Copyright