Conclave 2014 - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
That's Craig's, and it only happened because the rear xmember was a bit toast
Well...that and actually those corner guards are for a 90 (not 110). Because of that, they are "shorter" and when coming down off an obstacle there's a big distance between the rear tire and the corner guard - which can allow it to grab the point of the guard and leverage it. A "longer" corner guard would be recommended for a 110, so as you come down off an obstacle it won't grab the edge of the guard...but rather slide you off of it.

But agreed, the need for an xmember replacement did not help the cause - but still the inherent issue was that this is for a 90 application and not 110.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
And in other news, only one attendee was BANNED from the Cove!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
This year? Or are we talking 2yrs ago?

-Jeff
This year.

No one was banned 2 years ago.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Looks like a really great event. Thanks for sharing the pics. Bill's 109 looks so sweet as does the IIa Coilover'er.

So rad that Kent got out with his 110. Really great to see how you guys got that rig together for the event.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry

Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry

Best photo ever ! Well done Justin. Well done Zack.
Sterling, VA
Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Since no one else has mentioned it another special thanks to Justin and his crew for the vat of guacamole, salsa, chips, steamed clams and drawn butter, and the tubs of Corona's for the Saturday auction. They were appreciated by all.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
Erik@Lucky8
Erik
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Since no one else has mentioned it another special thanks to Justin and his crew for the vat of guacamole, salsa, chips, steamed clams and drawn butter, and the tubs of Corona's for the Saturday auction. They were appreciated by all.
We were glad to do it. Next time if you are bringing your son, let me know so I can plan for an extra 300 clams for him. Hot damn can that kid eat.
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
Gone:
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB

Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
We were glad to do it. Next time if you are bringing your son, let me know so I can plan for an extra 300 clams for him. Hot damn can that kid eat.
Preachin' to the choir here mate!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How did the green station wagon make out after that brush with the tree?
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Great event as usual, and as always a big thanks to Gustavo, Justin, Erik and whomever else was involved in the planning and execution of the event. Also a big thanks to Jonesy for being Jonesy!

Thanks for sharing pictures everyone. I have become the ultimate slacker and hardly took any.

Kent's truck performed flawlessly and it turns out Kent is a natural wheeler. If you didn't know it was his first outing in a truck hastily put together you'd have thought he was a veteran owner of that truck. And damn that truck is useful to have around.

Thanks to Matt who had some spare s2a diesel motor mounts which allowed me to get off corum and wheel the rest of the weekend (I didn't dare tempt fate again and figured it would make Huff happy to know Corum won for a change). My exhaust is jacked up in multiple places and I still have broken transfer case mounts, but it's amazing how much crap you can break and keep rolling in these things.

Oh, and a PSA: Be very careful driving without the last section of your exhaust. When we got back Kent noticed a hissing sound and it was my fuel expanding due to being heated up by the exhaust. My skid plate was hot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	103460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	103461  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	103462  
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I love that corum defeated you in marvelous fashion after all the grief it has given me over the years!

Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
I think he has hollow legs. After having a couple plates of steamed clams he went back up the hill and had a fillet mignon with sauteed onions and mushrooms topping, a swordfish steak, snow peas, redskin potatoes, and rice for dinner.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I was always under the impression that you go out to wheel and have fun not experiment with trail repairs! of course I understand the tactical advantage of being experienced enough to change an axle in 20 minutes which I could never do or want to do...but it seems like some folk go out knowing something will fall off, blow up, warp, bend or crack!

I think I've been rock wheeling 11 times in four years...on a 4/5 trails and never even so much have separated rubber from wheel...so what gives!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
"Bill" come do corum! Nothing at scarr comes remotely close
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
...so what gives!
some will say they hit it harder than others...some will say it is the way you drive

All I know is Galpin & Huff hit the hills with a lot more gusto than most I have ever wheeled with and do it better than most. Me, I used to stick with em in the RRC on most runs, but can't in the D110 (yet) and touch wood I have only had to bend a few things back into place.

Now, the fact that Charles had Pedro in the seat next to him, well ....
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I would come next year if Huff baby sat me...his trail repairs are legendary! lol...
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yup, I knew you'd like it

We were discussing it afterwards and it dawned on me that those motor mounts were the used ones Randy brought a couple of years ago to Rausch when I sheared them last. Yes, the QT ones are still on the shelf. I guess not for long now LOL. It didn't help that I didn't have my lockers on (this was the easy part at the beginning, but was taking a hard line to get around a log) and then slipped off my line, but clearly they were not in good shape. Nor did it help that I pulled my cat guards before taking it in for the state inspection a few weeks ag because I had a rattle and didn't have time to fix them properly. This time it put a Z shape right after the RHS cat and pushed the whole driveline forward! I bet nothing would have happened with the guard in place.

Bill, these trails are a little harder than most run. In fact the hardest trail I care to run, but it is a lot of fun, with or without breakage. I could have gone on up it but why take the chance? I ran blues the rest of the day and couldn't resist doing v-trail on the way back from pinnacle on Sunday either. What's the saying - discretion is the better part of valor?

Oh and I should have thanked everyone who helped pitch in to replace them and get the exhaust sorted. The ratchet strap idea was Jonathans BTW. I was less worried about the repair than blocking the trail and not helping the others get up it to be honest. It's funny how over time these breakages don't seem like a big deal as we always come up with fixes with relative ease.

The biggest problem we had this weekend was having to drive all the way to Winchester to air up because you weren't there! And we ran out of milk one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I love that corum defeated you in marvelous fashion after all the grief it has given me over the years!
I still have a better track record on her than you
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Over the years Corum has cost me:
a front drive shaft
a rear driveshaft
both a left and a right salisbury shafts
a rear trailing arm
a tie rod
a steering stabilizer bent in a U.

This in a truck with a 3 inch lift, a detroit in the rear, and 12x35 tires
It's a tough trail.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events