Conclave 2013 - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I have to say, I was impressed that it never collapsed On another note, A group in a grey RRC LWB got some pics and a video of me that I wanted to grab. The problem is I forgot their names... It was 3 guys and a girl, MD plates I believe. The taller guy had a fish eye lens on his nikon, girl had a shorthair pointer puppy with her. Anybody know who I'm talking about?
That sounds suspiciously like Rob Bass and Jen. Driving "Amber's truck"

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Yup it was me. I'll have the pics up when I get a hold of Pete with the Nikon. He's rebuilding his rear 3rd as we speak, so he's a little busy... Great event, can't wait to see all of the pics come through.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:05 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Great stuff, that was a blast. I am of course typing from a Dulles-area hotel because my flight got cancelled until tomorrow afternoon. Until then I can only wait, and drink this, courtesy of Mr. Bobeck!

I'd also like everyone for coming out and having a good time, and letting everything go smoothly. I met a lot of great people who are all fun to hang out with, even if "hanging out" means "going into the woods with a gps at 8pm trying to find/fix/recover a truck and getting back at 3.30", it's still a good time.

I'd like to give a significant shout-out to Charles Galpin who was/is immensely helpful to me, and I am indeed indebted to him. I appreciate it all Charles, and I will send you that piece when I get back(Tuesday).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I can't say much about him snuggling, but he has a great shower.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would like to thank Doug and Raub for the RURR of my 200tdi and all of the folks involved in transfer of it into the back of Raubs truck.
I would also like to thank the Mötley Crüe that convinced Raub to rob my starter!! Thanks guys. None of you can be trusted!! Roll eyes.
Sounds like I missed a hell of a trip!! We will have to make to the next one.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
I would like to thank Doug and Raub for the RURR of my 200tdi and all of the folks involved in transfer of it into the back of Raubs truck.
I would also like to thank the Mötley Crüe that convinced Raub to rob my starter!! Thanks guys. None of you can be trusted!! Roll eyes.
Sounds like I missed a hell of a trip!! We will have to make to the next one.
Raub's truck is amazing btw, he told me about it and mentioned you.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:08 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I tell you, that Raub is a hell of a guy. I am jealous as he has told me of the great time he had. He said all you guys are really stand up people.
And yes his truck is nice!! I am defiantly proud of that one.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I tell you, that Raub is a hell of a guy. I am jealous as he has told me of the great time he had. He said all you guys are really stand up people.
And yes his truck is nice!! I am defiantly proud of that one.
When we swapped the starter, Raub left wires off just to see if we were paying attention.
So I had to guide a little, but Raub had the right end of the wrench and did a great job.

Typical PO batch job in that the bakelite on Raub's starter solenoid was cracked so badly that the main lug fell off when he tried to loosen the nut.

He was late for the train, so hope he and that "fast: 2.5 made it on time to load up and ride...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Fivespddisco
Justin Monnin
96 D1
D-90 Source Vendor

What a fantastic job. Thank you to Goose and Rick for really knocking it out of the park. What a privilege and pleasure to be there
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Robert he said you were a big help. Thanks for taking care of him!! Can wait to sit down with a beer and look at his pictures and hear the stories.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:31 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What a fantastic event. Everyone there was of the most solid character imaginable, the event was exceptionally well run and organized, the trails were a blast (and added an additional element with the rain on Saturday that changed them drastically).

One of the - if not "the" - best events I've ever been to. Glad to put many faces to the names, and already looking forward to next year.

Goose & Rick....job well done.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:08 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Short video of Friday's ride. The big stuff starts around the 3 minute mark:
http://youtu.be/zeOxIDh3IyQ
Great video. Good to see folks using these trucks on the trail... no boosts out there

Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Danny-

Your post indicated a successful trek home? How did she do?
R-
Ray
No issues, I took it very slow but she made it. Thanks for everybody's help. I'll tear apart the axle in the next few weeks and see what happened. I spoke to Ron separately to coordinate getting him his ARB's and he's thinking it could be as simple as a blown CV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCbass View Post
Yup it was me. I'll have the pics up when I get a hold of Pete with the Nikon. He's rebuilding his rear 3rd as we speak, so he's a little busy... Great event, can't wait to see all of the pics come through.
Nice, sorry I never came over to your camp to say hi afterwards. No rush, I just wanted to make sure I contacted you guys.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Really was a great weekend, many thanks to the organizers-Rick and Goose put together a superb event. Likewise for Justin, Randy and the other sponsors for making it possible.

Going home to eat soup was a bit of a let down after the Jonsey menu all weekend!

I'm glad people appreciate the splendor of the 'Ground Top Tent' that could only be from the mind of Dro!
r-
Ray
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Did The Dro not make it? -Jeff
Yes... live in the flesh.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
We told him you wouldn't notice!!

Great to meet Raub and see that Tithonus in the flesh....real nice ride!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Abe- sorry about the starter but when brother Raub was broken down and I had his fix sitting on my trailer it was a no brainer. That and the fact that he was the way your tdi drive train was making it to Florida kinda closed the deal. The loading of the tdi engine and trans into the back of his truck took only 2-3 mins with a skid steer with pallet forks. The Cove charged us $50 for the help but given that was probably a 700lb lump-worth it so that no one got hurt trying. I'd periodically go by the trailer to make sure nothing had walked off and the contents slowly grew instead of diminished.
Point being "that" element wasn't @ this event. Figured you guys would have a picture of Dana's 97 on its side posted up.

A special thanks to Dave Stauffer for the bottle of trazadone. He saw me gimping around in extreme pain (tore my back up loading Abe's engine) and handed me a magic bottle. I had a great time after that.

A huge thank you to Jonesy. He changed this for everyone camping with us. The keg, the $1400 in groceries, the meal planning, and then he even cooked everything for a our sorry asses.
As the Dood would say- you rock Jonesy.
Great time, wish it was longer. Fortunately a lot of us are doing it again in 2 weeks.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doug I will send you the $50 for the loading. Thanks a lot for bringing it. Sorry about the back pain. Raub has said all of you guys are great. He said he wanted for nothing and the company was stellar.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Point being "that" element wasn't @ this event. Figured you guys would have a picture of Dana's 97 on its side posted up.

Ahh you mean more like "this"

Luckily absolutely NO damage, apart from a fender flare that we quickly reinstalled. Didn't even bust the side mirror. All he wanted to know was if I got a photo of it haha.

All in all there were around 6-8 trucks in that trail ride, and about 12 people next to his truck ready to help him within 15 seconds of the flop in the pouring rain.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Wow, what trail was that on? Must have happened Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Glad everything was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Ahh you mean more like "this"

Luckily absolutely NO damage, apart from a fender flare that we quickly reinstalled. Didn't even bust the side mirror. All he wanted to know was if I got a photo of it haha.

All in all there were around 6-8 trucks in that trail ride, and about 12 people next to his truck ready to help him within 15 seconds of the flop in the pouring rain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events