Colorado Winter Trips? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 25th, 2005, 02:17 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Colorado Winter Trips?

Hi Folks,

I just got my D-90 about four weeks ago and after four weekends of wrenching on it, it's just about road trip-worthy. Unfortunately, it looks like I've missed the Colorado summer season and I didn't get to make my usual trip up to the Telluride/Ouray/Durango region. Are there any fun places to go (besides ski resorts) in the Colorado winter? I'd like to do some off-roading, some snow camping, and maybe even some snowshoeing, but I don't want to mess with avalanches. What are my options?

Also, are there any organized Rover trips (rallys) in the San Juans during the summer?

Old September 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Paul Clay
1983 110
Colorado Winter Trips?

Hello Chris,

Congratulations on getting your D90 and getting it trip worthy. The San Juans are a great area. I have spent ~20 years, hiking, biking, skiing and wheeling through the region. If you want to avoid avalanches, don't go into the San Juan Mountains during the winter. There are more avalanches in the San Juans per square mile than any other mountain range in the world. That being said, if you know how to read the snow and are wiling to take your time to do so, there are many winter time activities that are quite enjoyable outside of the resorts. Back country skiing or snow shoeing to some of the natural springs can be quite nice, particularly with the right company. The fall colors are currently in good form and should be so for a few more weeks. It's not too late to enjoy the fall wheeling opportunities. There are many nice trails other than the popular passes. Once the real snow flies in the high country, it is serious folly to wheel in the mountains. Just about every year I stumble across a vehicle or two that tried to winter wheel up some trail only to become stuck and abandoned until spring. Granted, in most cases it appeared as if the drivers were idiots for their lack of preparation (chains, shovels, straps, multiple vehicles...). Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old September 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
m j
Hey Chris...

Many a fun places here in CO. I just moved out here about six months ago, and I'm constantly amazed at all the neat places to go. Don't know of to many organized trips into the San Juans, but have you checked out the Solihull Society? They put together some great weekend wheeling trips. Also, definitely check out some of the CO wheelin books....

If you're up during the spring thru fall. I know a couple of fantastic camping spots just outside of Silverton.

As far as winter trips... I can try and fill ya in as the season progresses, since this will be my first!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

colorado, trip