Colorado Trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 31st, 2006, 12:29 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Colorado Trip

Hey guys,
Im finally taking the 90 to colorado and was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of some good trails. I dont want to do anything too serious as ill prob be a single vehicle and Ive got to ride back home... but something with a little fun and some great sights would be perfect.

Im pretty sure were going to be around denver CO springs ish, but thats always open to change.

Also, know of any good mountain bike trails in the same area?
I guess you would like to know when ill be there... the 12th through the 16th of august would be my only full days there.
Thanks for any advice
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Kris, I'm taking some co-workers up to Bill Moore Lake on the 12th so you are more than welcome to join us. Also if I miss the SS wheeler lake trip this weekend I might be able to take you up to that trail on the 13th.

As far as mountain biking goes, there are a couple of nice trails in Evergreen and HWY 285 that I do often. If you are interested I can dig up the name and locations. They are not easy but not hard-core either. If we end wheeling I'll let you borrow my mountain biking trail book.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Yousef,
Thanks for the help. I would definitely like to take you up on that. Do you have any pics or info on the Bill Moore Lake trail?

Also, what are the names of the bike trails? Ill try to look them up to see if we can plan around them... biking is my friends primary reason for going with me.
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

You people from Colorado are always so nice. I have been there a few times (hiking and climbing), and I am amazed at how nice everybody is. Is it something in the H2O.
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

If you make it as far west as Aspen, let me know. At a minimum I could point you in the right direction.
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Kris-

If you are in the C Springs area try Captain Jacks for mountain biking, you can also link that to the Chutes which is a short, fun drop back down into town (Chutes is a two way trail so be ware of uphill traffic). It's off of Gold Camp road I believe, it's been a while since I lived there; just head towards Cheyenne Caynon or 7 falls. There are some great trails up near Monument, 15 minutes north, but you may want to check with a bike shop for some specific directions.

Tis
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dennis, don't get your hopes up. There are a lot of A-holes here in CO Seriously I moved here 12 years ago and I can't see myself anywhere else, great state with a lot of good people.

Kris, the trail on HWY 285 is called Meyer's Ranch. It is passed Windy point and it's on your left.
You guys can do Red Rocks trail and Mathew Winters Park, they are connected to each other and they are on I-70 and Morrison. Across the street from is Dakota Ridge, which is another good trail but be careful as I fractured my neck in two different spots on that trail.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Kris!
Why not drive the 90 to the top of Pikes Peak? It's as easy a trip to the top of a 14'er you'll ever do. I've seen it snow up there in august, so it's a refreshing change from the temps down below. Great views too. I think the trails Tis was refering too out of Monument would be the ones accessed from around Palmer lake. I have a few maps of the area if you need them. The entire area to the west, off Rampart Range Rd, is criss crossed with trails. A little further west are a bunch of trails around the town of Buffalo, and a bike park of sorts called Pine Valley. The colorado trail runs through that area as well. I think I can round up some maps of those areas too. Those are in an area that has been hit with forest fires several times in recent years, kind of interesting to see too.

Are you staying with people, or are you looking for camp sites?

NewfD90 (good guy) lives in the Monument area and rides so maybe he'll read this and have some ideas too.

I don't know what I'll be doing during the time your in the area, but if you need a port in the storm, or help with anything --give me a holler!
303-681-2796
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Guys, Thanks for all the info!
I cant believe how helpful the CO group really is!
We will be camping, so a place to weather a serious storm would be great.. hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Im going to do some research and figure out exactly where all these trails are and what we have time to do.

Is pikes peak lame/really crowded? Being from kansas, going up there might be pretty sweet. How long of a ride is it to the top?

Thanks again guys
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

OK, an update..... we finally decided on the actual direction we are going to head in...
so the 12th we will be around CO springs, as with the 13th, then were headed to buena vista for the 15th and heading back east a little to ease the day long driving on the 17th.
If Im anywhere near any of you ide love to meet up and atleast put a face to all your names.
I hope a little more detail will help you help me in finding some good MTB and off road trails.

Thanks for all the help and info
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billakris

Is pikes peak lame/really crowded? Being from kansas, going up there might be pretty sweet. How long of a ride is it to the top?

Thanks again guys
Lame, yes, but in a good way maybe. There really isn't anything to do up there but look at the view. It did inspire the writing of "America the beautiful". The plaque up there says so.

10 bucks a head, 2 hours round trip. It is a fun road to do in the 90. There is a ranger at the bottom that uses an infrared meter to check the temperature of your brakes. If you use your gears properly you can make him think his gauge is broken!

The town below the mountain, Manitou Springs, is the real touristy area. Santa's north pole, and something- or -other falls.

It might best be appreciated on a weekday rather than a weekend.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Kris,
I plan to be up at my family's cabin west of town on the 12th & 13th. Look at a CO map. Its between Conifer and Bailey, down a side road that leads to Pine. Its about 11/2 hrs from C. springs and 11/2 hrs from Buena Vista. About 20 min. from the trails around Buffalo and Pine Valley.

I could offer you a cold beer/ meal/ hot shower. Perhaps, if I hauled up enough beer, I might lure some of the local CO guys up as well.

Do you want to try to work that into your schedule?
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Rod, you may lure me down from here for cold beer!
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Rod,
I would love to set this up!
I was planning a trip on the 13th for some off road trails. If you have a get together or even get some guys to do a trail or something that would be great.
Ill pm you my cell number and you can call if you need anything.
I really hope this works out!
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Andrew! Love to have you, man!
Its not as beautiful as where you live, but if you want to make the trip, you'd be very welcome.

I'll arrive sometime between saturday morning and early afternoon (don't know if I'll have to work that day or not, yet. ) You could come up for the day sunday, or since you have such a long drive, you'd be just as welcome saturday afternoon/night. Whenever you could show up. Just yourself, or the whole family, its all good!

Kris, I doubt I'll be doing any wheeling that weekend. I plan on doing a little fishin', pitchin' some shoes, and just relaxin'. Maybe somebody will post up that wants to do a trail or two......

So, to our CO brethren...... anybody want to show up for some rover bonding?
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I'll be heading to Leadville on two wheels Sunday, I might stop by later in the day if you guys are up to something.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

It would be great to see you Yousef. I'm curious to hear how your project is coming along.

I'll PM some info.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Rod,
Im headed out bright and early tommorrow. Im making a pit stop at Pendy's, then ill be on my way for real.
I will give you a call this weekend when I am in the area. I wont have a computer, so give me a call if you have plans.
Thanks again for your help
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Aw Fawk!
I have my weekends confused. I'm not going to be up there til the next weekend (19th & 20th). I'm so sorry Kris. I'm sure you're on the road by now, I'll give you a call.

Sorry guys, I need to get my shat together.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billakris
Rod,
Im making a pit stop at Pendy's,
What, are you going to pee on him?

Anyway, I have no idea how my Sunday is shaping up right now but give me a call might meet up for a drink or something. 303-882-6638

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
colorado, trip