Church - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old November 30th, 2014, 08:51 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

"Church" December 7th? I have heard mention that next Sunday might be a good day to get together. What says everyone? I should be able to provide (2) cozy/warm flat stalls and (2) stalls with lifts for all to do whatever. Hand tools, air tools, welder, press, floor jack, stands, lights, etc. will all be available for use. Bring what you may need if not sure.

Any thoughts on a head count?

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2014, 02:53 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Dec 14th is also a possible date. You guys chime in and we'll get it firmed up. We could even do both, or another later date.

Anyway I will see y'all for HH later this month.

Chip
Old November 30th, 2014, 02:55 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
I'm up for either day, look forward to it.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2014, 11:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm game for the 7th. Dibs on a lift for some of the day

Thanks Chip
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:36 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Im in for 7th - I need a lift too. I have springs and shocks to do.

Chip - Is there a Tractor Supply Company of Home Depot near you? I assume I will need nuts and bolts to do this job as the ones on are pretty ratty - and I expect to have to cut!
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:02 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

There is a Pleasants Hardware 2 blocks away, and a Home Depot 2 min away. Although I might have what you need for hardware on the shelf. I have a screw post stand that will help the spring install, but my spring compressors are not the best. We could do one at a time and get the job done using some suspension travel. just thinking what you might need hardware for? Spring retainers? If so you might want to order some new ones. Also thinking about spring pads/isolators. Shocks come with new hardware....Chip
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Jonesy if you need to give me a call feel free to do so (804)564-1839, or anyone else coming down
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no need for spring compressors to install OME springs on a defender, take the shocks off and let it droop, they will go right in.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:07 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Thanks Doug...felt like suspension travel would be enough

Chip
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:02 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I dont think I can be in until the new year, but I really appreciate you starting this, Chip.

After rolling the Classic out of the garage for the first time in 5 years I believe I need to replace all the bushings. At least, that's what the blue and black rubber pieces all over the floor are telling me.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
I dont think I can be in until the new year, but I really appreciate you starting this, Chip.

After rolling the Classic out of the garage for the first time in 5 years I believe I need to replace all the bushings. At least, that's what the blue and black rubber pieces all over the floor are telling me.
No worries. If your close by don't hesitate to stop in.

Glad to know your making a go of getting the Rangie back on the road!

Looking forward to having a good group out on Sunday

Chip
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
We are too Chip! Thanks again. Should be fun
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Wish I could join ya'll, but sadly, my Rangie is still suffering from electrical issues, and I don't know if Carlos will have the short fixed by this weekend. Have fun!

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Anyone that's coming Sunday have any wheels they want to swap for a set of deep dish off my RRC? My tires have to come off as I'm buying Chips tires and figured I'd swap then if anyone was interested??
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
No, but that does bring up a question - Chip, you don't happen to have a tire changing machine do you?
Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:58 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

The short answer is no, however its on the want list. The problem is that a manual or pneumatic tire changer is perfectly feasible and makes good sense, but a balancer is fairly big $$$$. And what good is one without the other. The other issue is will these items pay for themselves with the amount of tire work that I do or don't do.....maybe. I do have a wholesale account with Tirerack which saves a little cash for my customers. I usually just load them up in the truck and take them along with the rims to a local tire shop with which I have a good relationship and have them mounted and balanced....they like it because they don't have to screw around with taking the tire/wheel package off the vehicle and it is less of a hassle.

I do have an alignment machine which I use frequently as I do a fair amount of suspension work, plus its good to have to setup my racecar....I got tired of doing string alignments. Its a laser machine thats very accurate. I put the vehicle up on the 2 post lift then lower it onto stands that have slip plates.

Charles when you figure out what suspension items you BMW needs then we might put the alignment machine to good use!

Looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend,

Chip
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Bugger Charles' BMW... We can align mine after the springs and shocks. YAY!
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:20 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Jonesy, while you have the front springs out you may want to change the shock strut tower securing plates, the round plates with the 4 studs that go through the frame and bolt the towers down... Wayyy easy while you have the springs out...if you are going to go with the terrafirma or similar shock strut towers later you may want to get the ones with the longer studs as the stock length leaves you only a few threads..
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Damn, I think Pete just got bitch slapped. Two or three times. LOL.

Willards would be my reference point on BBQ. Good stuff - just had a mess of it last weekend for a family gathering.

Either way, I'm always open to trying something new, although "tolerable at best" isn't winning me over.

Anyway back on track. It was very nice of Chip to offer up his place for a wrenching session - I wouldn't mind getting a car up on the lift. Maybe Jonesy needs to bring the BBQ then?
Wow! I totally missed all this...In defense of Buz n Neds, they did beat Bobby Flay, but then again, what does a Yankee know about real BBQ? I think someone mentioned that the best BBQ is in NC, which I cannot argue, but when you're in NOVA, going to NC for BBQ takes more effort than driving down to Richmond. As for Willards, they're about the same as Rocklands, I'd rather smoke my own brisket and ribs in my Weber Smokey Mountain than pay for overpriced BBQ.

I think Jonesy should bring his BBQ to Church so a concensus can be made regarding the best BBQ in VA. Have fun ya'll, I'll have to go to the next Church session...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Jonesy, while you have the front springs out you may want to change the shock strut tower securing plates, the round plates with the 4 studs that go through the frame and bolt the towers down... Wayyy easy while you have the springs out...if you are going to go with the terrafirma or similar shock strut towers later you may want to get the ones with the longer studs as the stock length leaves you only a few threads..
Yeah - cheers mate! I basically called up Zack at RN after filling my cart with everything I could think of that I could replace and telling him to go over it!

Got it all covered (famous last words)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events