Catskills, NY Off Roading - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 21st, 2016, 07:54 PM
joyride8
Logan Feldman
1997 D90

Registry
Catskills, NY Off Roading

Anyone have any suggestions for trails or courses near the catskills in NY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2016, 09:16 PM
Nos4ra2
Nos4ra2
1995 NAS D90 #2489

I would be interested in that answer also
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:24 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
atlantic british is in clifton park, while visiting the facilities I have been invited to off road with them. never taken the challenge .. isn't clifton park in catskills? if so the crew at ab has mentioned how challenging some trails can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2016, 10:13 PM
joyride8
Logan Feldman
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
atlantic british is in clifton park, while visiting the facilities I have been invited to off road with them. never taken the challenge .. isn't clifton park in catskills? if so the crew at ab has mentioned how challenging some trails can be.
clifton park is north of where im looking, closer to the monticello area, sullivan county, orange county,

thanks for the info though! this is what i came across, seems jeep focused but they say they have Land Rover Knowledge as well...

Northeast Off-Road Driving School, Ellenville NY
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:54 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
interesting, I have owned several brands of 4x4's thru the years. some were better than others in various aspects.
even as an experienced of roader, I mantain an open mind because you always learn something new from these classes. I have taken a nato course named Survival 4x4 and it is just as the name implies, teaches how to use your vehicle to its full capacity with out breaking down because you're on your own.

I have taken the land rover classes, dealers used to offer to new land rover owners and a couple more while visiting off road venues.
there is always something new to learn. best of luck.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:57 PM
joyride8
Logan Feldman
1997 D90

Registry
Thumbs up northeast offraod adventures review

So i figured i would come back and post a quick review about Northeast Offroad Adventures.
I havnt been offroading in at least 10-12 years. had the itch to get my 1997 defender 90 out of the garage and off the pavement. Besides Skid Plates and OME suspension and damper, the vehicle is stock. i came across northeast offroad adventures while searching for a legitimate place to hit the trails in the catskills. i wasnt sure what to expect as it is advertised as a driving "school/class" and not as a offroad park . they explained there is about an hour to an hour an half instruction in the morning which covers some nice basics of your vehicle functions (spent a good amount of time talking differentials, traction, vehicle mods) as well as trail safety and vehicle safety (everything from hand gestures from spotters to emergency recovery) i was glad i refreshed my brain on some of these talking points as it has been awhile. they do offer beginner and advanced classes. after the morning class, they do an instructional lap on there little trial course in the parking lot which allows them to 1)inspect your vehicle , 2)teach you 2 footed driving for when needed , and 3 just get everyone situated.

i was grouped up with a stock Mercedes g wagon (very impressed with its ability) as well as 2 worked wranglers as we hit the trails. I was very impressed with how immaculate the trails were, no worry of doing damage to my paint, they have maintained and designed theer trails with amazing attention to detail, everything from climbing ledges to some rock crawling in dried out creeks, we were able to really test our skill to whatever level we felt comfortable. every "obstacle" always had a bypass, at first my d90 gave me some traction issues, i had the diff lock engaged (according to the light) but in reality i was spinning tires and not making it very far when trying to conquer some hills. after some on trail diagnosis we were able to rectify the issue and i regained full confidence in the ability of the truck to handle anything they put in front of me. The team of trailmasters and spotters were some of the best i have worked and they quickly gained my trust after some initial obstacles. all in all it was a great day we spent about 5 hours in the trails if not more, and not only do they have spotters walking along and riding along but they also have a photographer who takes 1000s of photos and uploads them to his page for you to have. all in all it was a great day driving on 68 acre trails with a team of three instructors (two I4WDTA certified) . it is pricey, cost $400 for the full day for me and my wife as a passenger, that being said i felt satisfied at the end of the day, escaped damage free and probably would have spent more had i stayed in nyc and entertained ourselves. i also love supporting local business, especially those who are working hard to expand and are open to ideas and suggestions. i will probably return eventually to work with them again on some advance recovery demos and i also mentioned group discounts would be a great tool to attract some new users from the land rover world. that being said if anyone is interested in an outting, message me and i can work on a group rate. (this is an honest independent review, i just really enjoyed what they had to offer and would love to see them grow and remain as a destination for enthusiasts) just keep in mind, this is not a free driving off road park with a bunch of idiots . its a great community of skilled 4x4 drivers and instructors..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
off road