Carnage area closings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:32 AM
m j
Exclamation Carnage area closings

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
Holy $h*t this pisses me off!
Thanks to the many jackasses driving 4x's here in Colorado (including those in the local Rover community, and even on this board) things will only get worse and trials will close.
Absolutely no respect for the land or fellow land users. I wish there was something that could be done.

Arthur M Vigil
Colorado, USA Native
Former owner of:
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon
There is !

Art, I'm with ya man. And thanks for the link Jabber. I think we can do something:

Keep your eyes open for the Bubbas and their trucks. If they stray off trail, rearrange rocks / trees to suit them, do burn-outs or bust berms, take a crap in the stream, whatever ... REPORT THEM! I started keeping a notepad and pen in the cubby for just such purposes. Take their plate number, brief description or vehicle and offense, and date of occurrence, and hand off to your nearest ranger.

Most of us now have dig cameras with us (or cell phones) when wheeling. We could start taking photos of offenders and posting them on this and other web sites, or at the regional ranger office or trailhead. Might have to be careful if the 4x4 has a gun rack, but seems like a do-able thing to me.

It would be great to start posting signs at trailheads regarding trail etiquette and that violaters WILL be reported. We shouldn't have to, but some folks need more explanation than others.

Do you know if trails can be "adopted" by 4x groups? I know they do that in some urban areas for trash control, but I was thinking about trail maintenance and repair. I'm not a gifted worker type, but would be happy to help if it keeps trails open and 4x'ers reasonably well respected. We could always do this ad-hoc ... set a date, post a message, and show up. I'm up for it.

btw - it's not just 4x'ers, but ATV'ers, bikers, mountain bikes, horse riders, campers, and even hikers. So many folks just don't seem to think about what they are doing when out on the trails.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events