Camping in MD and/or VA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 9th, 2016, 04:32 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Camping in MD and/or VA

Hey folks, looking to do some camping in the 110 since I've got a full twin bed setup that works in there. Ideally looking for something remote and drive-in. While established, legal campgrounds are preferred, I'm not looking for utilities of any kind, so deserted places you know that work would be good too.

I know on Assateague there are hike-in campgrounds, and separate campsites, and permitted day-time driving, but any way to drive-in and camp without having a fishing permit and 24/7 manned fishing lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
given your location, I highly recommend looking up Mountain State Overland and purchasing one of their GPS overland itineraries. Our Appalachian week long trip last year was outstanding, with a ton of vehicle based camping options (established and primitive), and a majority of the route running along prime trout fishing river runs.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
I am subscribing as I am interested in the same. I would love info on overland trips in the south. I live in Nashville so the southern AP comes to mind. Any Rex's would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2016, 01:19 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley. We used to run trails in Dry River all the time. Great trout water. You can get some Natives in there, they'll be small, but gorgeous. As a VA resident, however, we would greatly appreciate you purchasing your license and trout stamp to do your part for conservation and recreation. There are plenty of trails in the Riven Rock area, you can camp there, and you can run over the mountain to Slate Lick. Work your way back to a place called Bennie's Beach, fish there. That's a little insider info for you. You'll likely get into some left over stockies there. Also, check the DGIF stocking report. Enjoy. If you head that way, PM me, and I'll try to give you more details.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:56 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley. We used to run trails in Dry River all the time. Great trout water. You can get some Natives in there, they'll be small, but gorgeous. As a VA resident, however, we would greatly appreciate you purchasing your license and trout stamp to do your part for conservation and recreation. There are plenty of trails in the Riven Rock area, you can camp there, and you can run over the mountain to Slate Lick. Work your way back to a place called Bennie's Beach, fish there. That's a little insider info for you. You'll likely get into some left over stockies there. Also, check the DGIF stocking report. Enjoy. If you head that way, PM me, and I'll try to give you more details.
Awesome, thanks Jesse, where could I go about getting some maps for these trails?

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2016 10:57 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
given your location, I highly recommend looking up Mountain State Overland and purchasing one of their GPS overland itineraries. Our Appalachian week long trip last year was outstanding, with a ton of vehicle based camping options (established and primitive), and a majority of the route running along prime trout fishing river runs.
these are awesome too. I'm probably going to buy this one: Route III - New Castle to Wytheville — mountain state overland
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:41 PM
scrubs
henery

I'm also following this, going to Virginia Beach soon and like go find quit ocean side camping spot,
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Awesome, thanks Jesse, where could I go about getting some maps for these trails?

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2016 10:57 AM ------

these are awesome too. I'm probably going to buy this one: Route III - New Castle to Wytheville — mountain state overland
lesson learned, if you do an MSO route, get paper maps (recommend the delorme state wide topo books) to complement your gps. The route(s) that takes you through WV will likely run you through the dead zone near the radio telescope site. no cell coverage whatsoever, so no data signal for any internet based maps. Also, many of the routes are heavily wooded and canopied, so lack of line of sight for gps signals for large segments of the routes will have you relying on good old fashioned topo navigation and mounted orienteering.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 10th, 2016, 01:08 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
I'm also following this, going to Virginia Beach soon and like go find quit ocean side camping spot,
Same for me, beach camping is the holy grail here.
Old May 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Portsmouth island in NC just below Okrakok & Cape Hatteras. Get it while you can as the tyrants in the federal government are actively trying to shut the island down.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:33 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Dan,
I'll do some digging. I never used maps because I grew up there and you just kinda knew. I don't even know that they're officially mapped because it was the kind of place where you turned left at the broken down shed and then followed the trails across the river, then back through until you crossed back out. There's a fire road over the mountain that is sometimes gated, sometimes not. You could easily do a few hours fishing, then a few trail riding, set up camp, then fish for a while until the sun went down. There weren't any designated camping sites on the trails, but plenty of flat places to the side you could set up on. There is some designated camp sites with pavilions and what not up the road a few miles. Might even be bathrooms there. Also, it's only about 2.5 hours from DC in decent traffic. There are some larger lakes that feed the trout streams around too, and it's all VA DGIF trout stocked waters. You'll want to have the proper licenses there, it's patrolled fairly regular and in VA we're serious about it. You will NOT talk your way out of the ticket. It'd make for a good weekend not too far from civilization. The trails aren't super long, but if you broke it up with some fishing you'd be busy enough.

Like I said, I'll dig for maps. If anything I can draw something up off a Google Map and get you dang close.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:38 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Portsmouth island in NC just below Okrakok & Cape Hatteras. Get it while you can as the tyrants in the federal government are actively trying to shut the island down.
I heard something about a fathers day weekend trip in June.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:56 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
If you are willing to come a little farther north we have numerous State Forests here in PA. They have free campsites dotted throughout the area, you just have to register for them ahead of time. There are also numerous "driveable" trails. They aren't really offroading, but you wouldn't want to take a Subaru down these roads either. You could drive 50-60 miles in a day and 90% of that be on dirt. We have some of the best fly fishing in the East and a lot of mountain biking trails as well.

Bald Eagle State Forest: PA*DCNR*-*Bald Eagle

Rothrock State Forest: PA*DCNR*-*Rothrock

Rothrock IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Ride: https://www.imba.com/epics/roth-rock-ride

Local guy that does fantastic maps: Purple Lizard Maps

We even have an Overland Festival. Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival | inspiring you to explore your world
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:08 PM
elizer
Eli
Not yet

Hi.
Im new to the forums, but I do a lot of camping in the area. Are you trying to car camp or do backpacking type trips with your car as a basecamp.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:30 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizer View Post
Hi. Im new to the forums, but I do a lot of camping in the area. Are you trying to car camp or do backpacking type trips with your car as a basecamp.
Looking to car camp
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:13 AM
elizer
Eli
Not yet

Wolf Gap Recreation Area, Capon, WV - On the border with Woodstock, VA. There is a Walmart you can pick up last minute items (we forgot our tent stakes). So the main camping area has drive up camp sites with groomed tent pads to pitch your tent and fire pits. Some of the pits have grill grates you can use. There are vault toilets there you can use. There used to be a water source/pump, but it no longer works and they have no plans to fix it. So you will need to bring your own water. Big Schloss is an amazing view. The hike up is a little difficult at first, but levels out once you get to the view.
If you want privacy it will be a hard. The campsites are fairly close to each other. There was another group of kids 3 camp sites over and stayed up past midnight. However, across the street (you will see it) there is another campsite area. You can drive up (it isn't paved road) and there are additional campsites if you want privacy. The campground is pretty close to the road. It wouldn't seem like there would be much traffic on a remote road like that, but you'd be surprised.

Assateague like everyone mentioned if you can get a reservation. Still crowded and those damn horses raid your campsite like bandits lol.

The follow 2 I haven't personally been too, but a lot of jeepers head there and the pictures are pretty nice.
You need to get a permit and be careful because private properties border a lot of the area. It is one of the places I plan on going.

George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Little Fort Campground
George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System

Abrams Creek, WV is pretty decent too. It is privately owned. You pay a fee. You can swim in the creek and use their shower/bathroom if you want. But they are pretty grungy. They are the same 20FT connex bathrooms they had in Afghanistan.

We typically do a lot of backpacking trips and use the car as a base camp. I can add a couple more of those if that is something you are into. Most of the places aren't really secluded, but I think the George Washington national park would probably be the most secluded you could get.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:14 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
George Washington national forest is a good one. Head up to Reddish knob and take a right and there is a good little trial with camping spots that will take you all the way to Switzer Lake on Route 33
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:48 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I have rarely found GWNF to be secluded, but maybe that's a facet of mostly camping off the route that Lance mentioned of the years.

Given the proximity to DC its worth mentioning Twin Mountain Offroad (https://www.twinmountainoffroad.com/). Depending on start point its about 2hrs, straight out 66->81S for a sec->48W to Moorefield, with the opportunity to stop at the excellent Woodbine Farmer's Market on the way. Moorefield has a Wally World, etc.

Now in full confession I may as well be considered de fact adjunct staff at Twin Mountain, as John is one of my closest friends and keeper of my stateside vehicles-but with the park expanding about 200% with the acquisition of a few hundred more acres it not only has some great camp sites but also has expanding wheeling potential to say the least. For lighter stuff there is a decent little 'playground' in an open field on the property.

r-
Ray
Old May 24th, 2016, 03:14 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I have rarely found GWNF to be secluded, but maybe that's a facet of mostly camping off the route that Lance mentioned of the years.

r-
Ray
That is fairly true unless you get onto some off shoot roads, there are some good fields and camping spots off the beaten path that don't see much traffic.
One time though an old lifted beat to hell cherokee rolled through our camp in the middle of he night. The guy was blitzed on a gallon bottle of Jack and was waiting for some buddies to catch up. He handed us four solo cups full of jack when his friends showed up and went on down the trail about a mile. The next day we ran by them and the guy had no recollection of meeting anyone that night.

I got tired of seeing good ol' boys just leaving a trail of Natty light cans and trying to run over anything and everything, it happens out west especially around Moab at times, but on the east coast its an epidemic from my experience at least from N.C. up to New York.
Old May 24th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
That is fairly true unless you get onto some off shoot roads, there are some good fields and camping spots off the beaten path that don't see much traffic.
One time though an old lifted beat to hell cherokee rolled through our camp in the middle of he night. The guy was blitzed on a gallon bottle of Jack and was waiting for some buddies to catch up. He handed us four solo cups full of jack when his friends showed up and went on down the trail about a mile. The next day we ran by them and the guy had no recollection of meeting anyone that night.
That sounds more pleasant that my last camping trip there with daughter & GF where some folks were on an adjacent off shoot road and started shooting-as rounds zipped over our campsite I went into full 'react to far ambush' mode (I had been out of Iraq for about...four months or so). As the firing shut down they hopped into their truck and started driving down the offshoot road we were on. Thankfully when their headlights hit the tent/Disco they stopped and backed out.

Suffice it to say I was done playing at that point, with family I tend to either go to WVA to TMORA or to Gore and hit the Cove.
r-
Ray
Old May 24th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
That sounds more pleasant that my last camping trip there with daughter & GF where some folks were on an adjacent off shoot road and started shooting-as rounds zipped over our campsite I went into full 'react to far ambush' mode (I had been out of Iraq for about...four months or so). As the firing shut down they hopped into their truck and started driving down the offshoot road we were on. Thankfully when their headlights hit the tent/Disco they stopped and backed out.

Ray
Had something somewhat similar happen to me in WVA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events