Best Trails in Moab for camping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:35 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Best Trails in Moab for camping

So I'm planning a trip with a bunch of people out to Moab in May and many have expressed interest in camping. I know I could roll up to a state park and setup a tent in a designated spot but I think everyone is looking more for a less manufactured and more secluded option. All the trails I've done in Moab I can usually finish in about 3-4 hours and I can't remember any that I would turn into an overnight.

I know there is that one a few hours south of Moab (beyond the rocks i think) which is 30 miles in which would be PERFECT for this but for this camp trip I need something closer to town. I also have to stay out of Canyonlands since there are a bunch of dogs with us.

Any ideas? I am currently staring at the GPS trying to string together a number of trails but I can't come up with anything.
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:06 PM
ndrenfro
Nathan Renfro
1997 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Poison Spider Mesa-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim takes a full day. It's long enough to make an overnight trip. Not sure about the legality of camping there though.
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

There are many, many choices. Head north of town on 191 and then make left turn onto Gemini Bridges Road. Lots of BLM land up there. My advice is to find an area with an overlook, even a small one. I wrote up a thread on ExPo about my techniques for campsite finding:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Post-GPS-Grids

If you look south of Canyonlands Field, you'll find lots of great options. If you're taking a large group out there, remember to be a good steward of the land and make sure that your friends don't trash the place.

Another great area is above Porcupine Rim on the northern flanks of the La Sals. Head up through Sand Flats Recreation Area to get there.

Finally, if you were going in mid-summer, the high meadows of the La Sals is where it's at:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Chris,
Do you mean like Onion Creek Rd, La Sal Pass, Fisher towers etc. Is that the area north of the La Sals you are referring to?
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

White Rim Trail is incredible but camp spots are probably already booked at this point.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Lockhart basin offers a lot of good dispersed camping.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Am I the only one that is contemplating blowing off my job for the month of May and trying to become friends with Stephan prior to departure?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:45 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Am I the only one that is contemplating blowing off my job for the month of May and trying to become friends with Stephan prior to departure?
Jason- if youre seriously considering it (which I doubt) I'm in also. I'd recommend BFE for primitive camping.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hands down the most beautiful gallery of photos I have seen involving Defenders and camping. This is the stuff that keeps me motivated while restoring my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
There are many, many choices. Head north of town on 191 and then make left turn onto Gemini Bridges Road. Lots of BLM land up there. My advice is to find an area with an overlook, even a small one. I wrote up a thread on ExPo about my techniques for campsite finding:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Post-GPS-Grids

If you look south of Canyonlands Field, you'll find lots of great options. If you're taking a large group out there, remember to be a good steward of the land and make sure that your friends don't trash the place.

Another great area is above Porcupine Rim on the northern flanks of the La Sals. Head up through Sand Flats Recreation Area to get there.

Finally, if you were going in mid-summer, the high meadows of the La Sals is where it's at:

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:31 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Chris,
Do you mean like Onion Creek Rd, La Sal Pass, Fisher towers etc. Is that the area north of the La Sals you are referring to?
There are lots and lots of options up there. Head up there in the daytime and you'll find a something quickly.

I love camping in the La Sals.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
More the merrier, all are welcome. I'll be there from May 17th up until the 24th. Bringing ATVs, dirt bikes, mt bikes, a bunch of dogs, 2 D90s and a JK. People are coming from Idaho, New York, California and some are flying in. I'm driving out from NYC (Leaving the 15th) so somebody needs me to bring something and meet them out there while they fly... I'm happy to. I'm going to Trailer the Defender out there but I only haven a single trailer. If someone wants to loan me a 2 car open trailer, I'm happy to bring someone's truck out!

-What is "BFE" for the best camping?

- The White Rim trail would have been good but the issue is we have a bunch of dogs and while Arches is kinda on the fence with the whole dog thing, Canyonlands is a hard no.

- re: camping in the la Sals. Do you by any chance have some GPS tracks for trails? I'd prefer not to spend hours combing over Google Earth to plot a route through if I don't have to.

-Lockhart Basin would be a good one. I don't think I've done that trail either. I'll look into it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Area BFE is an awesome off road park near Moab. http://www.areabfe.com/
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
If you decide to head over to Lockhart Basin, you'll drive by a bunch of designated BLM campsites on Kane Creek on the way. Some of them are pretty nice.

This is one spot I like that is about a mile before you get to the turnoff for the Chicken Corners trail. The best part about Lockhart Basin is that there are very few people back there.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V View Post
Area BFE is an awesome off road park near Moab. http://www.areabfe.com/
That place is cool. The D90 might be a little under gunned for most of those trails but I'd try it with a 4 wheeler or a dirt bike.

Lockhart Basin looks like a pretty good option for camping. Does anyone know if there are specific spots along the trail?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Think about which way you want to drive the trail. The site I posted above is between Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. That is on the north end of the trail. The trail starts to get difficult just south of the turnoff for Chicken Corners, and the trail itself takes a full day to complete.

At the south end there are a lot of very good camping opportunities, and there are numerous spurs to explore. There are nice sites near Indian Creek, but once you are south of Indian Creek you'll see more people. The trail is somewhat easier to run from south to north, since that has you going downhill on the tougher obstacles.

As for sites, you can camp anywhere you want back there. I think you'll find it a worthy adventure.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

-What is "BFE" for the best camping?

This is BFE...dont let the free aspect throw you off its very good! http://www.areabfe.com/.

Kane Creek, I'd vouch for that the further back you go the better it gets! they have newer sites...but its not like you would think, its worth it!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
If you decide to head over to Lockhart Basin, you'll drive by a bunch of designated BLM campsites on Kane Creek on the way. Some of them are pretty nice.

This is one spot I like that is about a mile before you get to the turnoff for the Chicken Corners trail. The best part about Lockhart Basin is that there are very few people back there.

How long would it take to hit that camp spot if I ran south to north? Do most people turn off for chicken corners?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
That spot is closer to the north end. From the south end of the trail it would take roughly 6 hours to get there. From Moab it would be <2 hours.

While it is a nice spot, there are lots of other places just as good if not better in various places along the trail.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:58 PM
zeusdavis
Jeff Davis
95 D90 ST 2006/3000

Registry
Agree with Sand Flats recommendation. Close to town. Hiking. Biking. Off-roading. Get there in the daylight to pic your spot. Pics below are a mile or so past the parking lot for "slick rock" on left side. Didn't have D90 then. Directions below:

http://www.discovermoab.com/sandflats.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	64961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	64962  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	64963  
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Sand Flats is probably THE best place to camp if you want to be close to town. There are some nice spots there but it is a developed campground, in the sense that there are pit toilets and you are only allowed to camp within designated sites.

My gripe with Sand Flats is that many of the sites are infested with ants. It will cost you $10 per night and you'll not have as much privacy.

One other suggestion, if you feel lucky, is to head up toward Gemini Bridges. There is a left turn just before the Gooney Bird rock where there are 5 BLM primitive designated sites. You are required to bring your own toilet and pack out your poop. A couple of those sites are really nice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events