Anchorage Happy Hour? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:27 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anchorage Happy Hour?

A few times a year I am in Alaska - mostly Anchorage and the surrounding areas, usually with a full schedule and no free time.

Today however I have the rest of the day open - anyone free for drinks and Rover BS in downtown Anchorage? Happy hour or later, first round is on me...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ed Angel and Justin Green are up in Anchorage but likely won't respond in time. You are better off contacting them directly. I don't recall their usernames though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:41 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I'll be coming in Saturday and traveling up to Keani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
A few times a year I am in Alaska - mostly Anchorage and the surrounding areas, usually with a full schedule and no free time.

Today however I have the rest of the day open - anyone free for drinks and Rover BS in downtown Anchorage? Happy hour or later, first round is on me...

Brian

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I'll be coming in Saturday and traveling up to Keani.
Bummer, I'm flying back to Seattle Late Friday... And it is PERFECT up here right now. Sunny and mid-70 temps.

Maybe I'll need to put together a Seattle to Alaska trip next summer for any interested parties - I'm back up in October and planning on bringing the truck up for that trip.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Bummer, I'm flying back to Seattle Late Friday... And it is PERFECT up here right now. Sunny and mid-70 temps.

Maybe I'll need to put together a Seattle to Alaska trip next summer for any interested parties - I'm back up in October and planning on bringing the truck up for that trip.
Sounds like the genesis of the Alaska Land Rover Road Trip and Rally (ALRRTAR)... we just call it al-tar .

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Sounds like the genesis of the Alaska Land Rover Road Trip and Rally (ALRRTAR)... we just call it al-tar ha ha.
Worship at the AL-TAR...

In all reality, thats not a bad idea! The ALCAN Rover Rally

Bring in 6-10 exmod trucks - participants start a team (min 2, max 3) and pickup their truck in Seattle and drive to the ferry.
Rally orientation on the ferry to Seward Alaska (2 1/2 days)
Stage one - seward to prudhoe (1K miles - 1 1/2 days)
Stage two - arctic ocean to Puget Sound (2.5K miles - 5 days)
Wrap party - Seattle

10 checkpoints on stage-two with challenges set out over the 5 days.

9 days total - winners get to keep their Defender.
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Worship at the AL-TAR...

In all reality, thats not a bad idea! The ALCAN Rover Rally

Bring in 6-10 exmod trucks - participants start a team (min 2, max 3) and pickup their truck in Seattle and drive to the ferry.
Rally orientation on the ferry to Seward Alaska (2 1/2 days)
Stage one - seward to prudhoe (1K miles - 1 1/2 days)
Stage two - arctic ocean to Puget Sound (2.5K miles - 5 days)
Wrap party - Seattle

10 checkpoints on stage-two with challenges set out over the 5 days.

9 days total - winners get to keep their Defender.
Brian:
Sounds like the makings of a first class event and it is NOT drawn out on a napkin!
Now you can locate some big sponsors and start planning for summer 2014 or 2015.
Put me down for the support vehicle that comes and fixes the breakdowns.
We might be able to get Matt Brown or Pendy to join the support crew, who knows!

The only thing I would add is you have to catch some Salmon and Halibut as a challenge (or does that give one of the event secrets away).

There are bound to be some wealthy industrialists like H.E. Pennypacker or Doctor Peter Van Nostrum who would pay big bucks for that trip of a lifetime. Sound like it could use a film documentary crew... we need to get Jack Walters in touch with Leroy who works those!

I like it, I like it, I like it!

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:23 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Brian:
Sounds like the makings of a first class event and it is NOT drawn out on a napkin!
Now you can locate some big sponsors and start planning for summer 2014 or 2015.
Put me down for the support vehicle that comes and fixes the breakdowns.
We might be able to get Matt Brown or Pendy to join the support crew, who knows!

The only thing I would add is you have to catch some Salmon and Halibut as a challenge (or does that give one of the event secrets away).

There are bound to be some wealthy industrialists like H.E. Pennypacker or Doctor Peter Van Nostrum who would pay big bugs for that trip of a lifetime. Sound like it could use a film documentary crew... we need to get Jack Walters in touch with Leroy who works those!

I like it, I like it, I like it!
I was thinking of only a sweeper truck (if I can find someone with a MOG or DAF to run sweep) - each vehicle would get a case of spares and tools to keep it running for the duration of the rally.

It would be tight for 2014 by certainly doable for 2015. Assuming sponsorship and volunteers for key support positions (medical and checkpoint help) my quick calculations have each team needing to raise around 24K plus airfare to participate - not really too far out of reach for most folks considering the scale of the event. A team of 3 would only need to come up with 8k each, and I'd guess that fundraising and charity association would get most teams a third of the cash needed. Assuming some of the supplies could be re-used the event cost would go down in subsequent runnings.
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I was thinking of only a sweeper truck (if I can find someone with a MOG or DAF to run sweep) - each vehicle would get a case of spares and tools to keep it running for the duration of the rally.

It would be tight for 2014 by certainly doable for 2015. Assuming sponsorship and volunteers for key support positions (medical and checkpoint help) my quick calculations have each team needing to raise around 24K plus airfare to participate - not really too far out of reach for most folks considering the scale of the event. A team of 3 would only need to come up with 8k each, and I'd guess that fundraising and charity association would get most teams a third of the cash needed. Assuming some of the supplies could be re-used the event cost would go down in subsequent runnings.
You get some expedition gear companies to cough up camp fridges, tents, and so on.
Evening checkpoints every few days with oriental rugs on the ground, grilling fine meals, with superb Belgian ales. Other nights could have themes, Tex Mex, vegetarian, Thai, Indian, and so on.
Who knows, some cooking reality show could have chef challenges cooking for the teams in the middle of no-where making good meals out of simple ingredients and a mixture of spices. With different chefs for different theme nights. Then the voting and comments the following morning or something like that.

Ralph Lauren who has a Series IIA 88 in their Sunglasses video would sponsor... as well as many others.

Wish I were retired, this would be real fun to plan and execute, down to the last detail.

Great chatting to bad we are not at the pub drinking a samichlaus helles or a Saxo right now.

Let us know if you make this happen.

Old July 31st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
Quote:

Brian
Sure, a week late! I was there with nothing to occupy my evenings, LAST Week!!
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:38 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Okay, I love the sounds of this!! Thanks Robert for the link...

How about a 101 for support, or 130?? I definitely say it is viable and doable- and would love to be involved from most any aspect. Possibly involve a local charity up North to support?

I have a few clients who be all over this as well- should LRNA be asked to participate or would that make for too many restrictions?

Sorry to be so scattered, this is just a super idea!! I have always done these type trips solo via Rover or motorbike, but to participate in something of this magnitude would be colossal!! Let's do it!!

As our logo says, 'aspire to inspire before you expire' ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:08 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I was just talking with some friends about doing a trip like this. Not sure about the time frame, but I would love to be involved in the planning.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:29 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Okay, I love the sounds of this!! Thanks Robert for the link...

How about a 101 for support, or 130?? I definitely say it is viable and doable- and would love to be involved from most any aspect. Possibly involve a local charity up North to support?

I have a few clients who be all over this as well- should LRNA be asked to participate or would that make for too many restrictions?

Sorry to be so scattered, this is just a super idea!! I have always done these type trips solo via Rover or motorbike, but to participate in something of this magnitude would be colossal!! Let's do it!!

As our logo says, 'aspire to inspire before you expire' ;-)
I say no LNRA support or everyone will end up driving a prior-model-year Press-tour Evoque - part of the challenge is the ability to keep a 25yo truck running long enough to complete the event. It's about the challenge of the journey more than the "brand" of vehicle. Personally I like the thought of exMOD trucks - keeping it Defender related (the way the rest of the world used defenders as capable affordable repairable workhorse trucks) and with the relatively low cost and ease of improvised repair of the exmod trucks a good part of the challenge is making it to the finish line with your vehicle.

I was thinking about using our 130 for support - anything capable of towing a 90 would be sufficient.

The idea of charity involvement is fantastic, and besides an individual participants charity group a local charity donation would be great.

I've been a big part of planning and executing national club type events (sports car related), while this is a big step up it is eminently achievable with the right folks behind it.

Would be a whole lot of fun to run or to run-in...
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Subscribed
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:04 AM
jputnins
John Putnins
1995 Defender 90 SW

Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun!

-John
Disco 1 "Truck-in-a-box"
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

brian,
sounds like a blast. i might be up for tagging along on the instate part. i would mention that the ferry from bellingham makes a regular run up as far as skagway/haines and a few times a year you can change ferries in juneau and go across to whittier but the ferry doesnt go to seward. check out alaska marine highway on google. there are some other cool gravel roads besides the haul road to prudhoe that might be worth a look like the denali highway, the mcarthy road, the road to chicken etc. if you are dreaming/planning pick up a copy of the Milepost which is a travel guide to all the roads in alaska. another interesting route might be the dempster highway which goes up to the arctic ocean through canada and can be accessed from alaska. i've thought about doing that one for a long time.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfisher View Post
brian,
sounds like a blast. i might be up for tagging along on the instate part. i would mention that the ferry from bellingham makes a regular run up as far as skagway/haines and a few times a year you can change ferries in juneau and go across to whittier but the ferry doesnt go to seward. check out alaska marine highway on google. there are some other cool gravel roads besides the haul road to prudhoe that might be worth a look like the denali highway, the mcarthy road, the road to chicken etc. if you are dreaming/planning pick up a copy of the Milepost which is a travel guide to all the roads in alaska. another interesting route might be the dempster highway which goes up to the arctic ocean through canada and can be accessed from alaska. i've thought about doing that one for a long time.
I havent looked at the car ferry in years - did it used to run to Seward or Homer? or am I making that up in my mind?

Southbound route can be different than the northbound route, and probably should be as most folks don't get to spend much time in AK to start with.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-127765726.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	76816

don't think the ferry goes into Seward

It's only about 173 miles via road. The marine highway goes into Whittier, then to Homer for a quick stop to Kodiak.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:30 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
I was thinking about putting something like this for the North Eastern part of Canada but it seems that most D90 owners here don't like to rough up their Landies. Maybe someone could help me set this up. I read something to this effect on a site some years ago.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So is there real interest in doing a rally in AK?

If folks are willing to run their own trucks we could totally do this next year. As for sponsors, we (defenders northwest) would be happy to run/coordinate the event and would reach out to our suppliers for support (TerraFirma, Autohome tents, frontrunner racks, etc...)

How many would be willing to do a 4k mile two week event? Or just a meet and rally above the Arctic circle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
happy hour