A Good Dilemma to Have... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old June 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola View Post

not enough? lol

I guess since a few had done the conversion already and few are planning to, a rough estimate would be good info for others whom may consider to go down the same path.
My starting budget is $25k for a basic, stock NAS110, and that doesn't include the donor vehicle. I've got a spreadsheet of parts I need and want. The build cost could swell to $45k if I go all-out.

A frame is $3300, donor NTO body with doors is roughly $8k, at least, SD NAS cage is $3k, all new interior is about $3k, then figure all the little bits, paint, engine rebuild, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
My starting budget is $25k for a basic, stock NAS110, and that doesn't include the donor vehicle. I've got a spreadsheet of parts I need and want. The build cost could swell to $45k if I go all-out.

A frame is $3300, donor NTO body with doors is roughly $8k, at least, SD NAS cage is $3k, all new interior is about $3k, then figure all the little bits, paint, engine rebuild, etc.
thanks for the info! this is very helpful!! 25K is actually better than I thought...tempting..
Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola View Post

thanks for the info! this is very helpful!! 25K is actually better than I thought...tempting..
You also need realistic expectations and at least a buffer of $10k for all the little bits that pop up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay, so the salvage titled 97SW is sold and now I can focus efforts on the clean titled 94ST as the donor truck.

I've got a huge spec sheet, but now need to decide what motor to use. I think the stock 3.9 will be too lethargic for a heavy 110, even with 4.12 gears.

So trying to decide between a 300tdi, 2.8, or 4.6. I love diesels, but with my past rover diesel experience was was missing the horsepower. Although horsepower make you do dumb stuff on the trail...

Semper Fi!
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

3.9 is the best rover motor. If it runs, I would leave it.
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
3.9 is the best rover motor. If it runs, I would leave it.
I am also building the truck for longevity, so the thought of a new 2.8 is appealing, as well as gas mileage. The stock 3.9 has 110k miles on it, so at least a decent 40k miles left on it.

I haven't done my due diligence in terms of research, but can the 3.9 be punched out to 4.6 like the 4.0?

Any other tricks to get more HP out of the 3.9?

Semper Fi!
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:06 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
I haven't done my due diligence in terms of research, but can the 3.9 be punched out to 4.6 like the 4.0?

Jorge's has a supercharger on it...
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
I am also building the truck for longevity, so the thought of a new 2.8 is appealing, as well as gas mileage. The stock 3.9 has 110k miles on it, so at least a decent 40k miles left on it.

Not as easy as the 4.0...would be better to get a 4.6 and move the 3.9 stuff onto it.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=58157

You could always put a 4.2 in there for a little more bump...but if you're going petrol, I'd go with a well built 4.6.
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:

4.6 short block with 3.9 stuff, but like I said, if it is fine now, I would try that before spending a ton of money. 3.9s seem to last the best. A new cam might spice it up.
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:56 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
4.6 stroked to 5.0 with forged pistons. 9-ish:1 compression, Piper or Crower stage 2 cam, large valve heads, twin intercooled turbochargers, 45Lb/hr injectors, Megasquirt controller, MSD wasted spark crank triggered ignition, Turbo headers. You should see something in the area of 350 HP at the wheels.
You probably also want the H-beam rods, ARP bolts and studs. I'd also have the heads CC'd, ported and extrude honed.
Was gonna build such a beast with Carloz but it fell apart after selling Ray the 4.6.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events