A Good Dilemma to Have... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

97 SW and 94 ST are both portofinio red. He can unbolt the tub/cage/top from the 97 right on to the 94. I could do it in a day easy. The hardest part will be swapping rear wiring harnesses to make the heated rear glass and wiper work. That IMHO is the way forward.
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

Also, how in the Hell do you have $33k into a salvaged D90 with nearly 100k miles?
I was led to believe the truck was perfect, with the exception of the branded title, and the truck was not in a place I could easily travel to to look at. Once it arrived and I inspected it I discovered the frame was straightened, but still shows signs of damage, the respray doesn't match, and a few other minor issues. Either way, it's a $33k truck on eBay all day.

Sounds like everyone is leaning the way I originally intended a few days ago, which was to use the SW as the donor, and put the SW bit on the ST. At least then the ST retains a clear title and its value.

The builds are taking place at SafariHP and I hope Stephen plans on doing a detailed build thread.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2013 06:29 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
When the hell did you get the '94??
You clearly don't pay attention at HH.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2013 06:30 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

And I apparently missed the '97.
Your skills are fading young Jedi.... This was secret deal.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2013 06:31 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
So, who's garage is it? Serious envy.
A little known member of this forum. Beyond that, my lips are sealed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
wow, all this while in the process of moving to japan. damn.

imo, having a reputible shop doing the conversion should help resell value if the work is well documented. that probably adds to the cosst of rebuild i assume.

josh, any feel for what the resell comps on NAS90's with and without salvage titles have been? seems reasonable to believe the discount salvage titles cause would be less on a fully rebuilt NAS110 clone.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
wow, all this while in the process of moving to japan. damn.

imo, having a reputible shop doing the conversion should help resell value if the work is well documented. that probably adds to the cosst of rebuild i assume.

josh, any feel for what the resell comps on NAS90's with and without salvage titles have been? seems reasonable to believe the discount salvage titles cause would be less on a fully rebuilt NAS110 clone.

Clay
On the bright side I have 3 years to get a 110 built, the down side is that I am paying someone else to do it.

My thinking is that on a converted 90 to 110, the title status wouldn't matter much anymore to someone that is going to spend upwards of a minimum of $80k on a well-built, documented conversion. We all know that a salvage titled truck is truly the best candidate for conversion over chopping up a clean titled survivor NAS.

...And I just realized this thread is in the wrong place!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:27 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

take the 97 as the donor and put the SW top on the 94..... sell the 94 for $23000 and put money towards the 110 build.... all in $80000 maybe.... but turns into a might as well.... and there goes the budget
good luck
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Since you are going to Japan, why didn't you just by a Japanese NAS truck that you could import back to the US? Low miles and cheap over there.

Old May 31st, 2013, 12:54 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Since you are going to Japan, why didn't you just by a Japanese NAS truck that you could import back to the US? Low miles and cheap over there.
What is cheap for a Japanese spec in Japan? Just curious.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
It's not as easy as you think. It's Okinawa, not mainland Japan. The likelyhood of finding a Jap spec 90 is nil. That won't stop me from trying though. I tried buying literally the only Disco on the island, but that fell though.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Parts Value?

So what's the consensus on SW take-off parts value? If I don't convert the ST to SW, here's potentially what I would have for sale:

Complete SW setup, to include tub, top sides, top, doors, rear door, ALL cage parts inside and out, jump seats, front seats, and all interior trim bits.

In addition, I would have a solid NAS90 frame with minor damage at the front right frame horn, fuel tank, side steps, front bumper and brush guard, stock springs, radius arms, rear links, and a few other odds and ends.

Essentially we are talking a complete 97SW minus the drivetrain, bulkhead/dash, auto console, and windscreen.

What do you think the overall, total value would be? $10k?

The other idea I have is throwing an internal frame soft top on the ST and an external SD cage and call that one done, then selling off the SW parts to fund the 110 build...

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Essentially we are talking a complete 97SW minus the drivetrain, bulkhead/dash, auto console, and windscreen.

What do you think the overall, total value would be? $10k?
No VIN, no dash, no bulkhead, no doors? - total value closer to $7K as a package deal ($9K in parts if you take the time to sell off the individual items)
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post

No VIN, no dash, no bulkhead, no doors? - total value closer to $7K as a package deal ($9K in parts if you take the time to sell off the individual items)
All doors are included.

You figure a SD exo cage and soft top kit from the UK would run about $4k total, so selling off the SW parts to make a mere $3-$4 doesn't sound very appealing.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think there is more value in converting the overpass truck than selling the parts and looking for padded cage.

-Jeff
No padded cage! I'm talking a UK/ROW soft top.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:52 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Are you converting your 90 to a 110 beach runner type? I will trade my complete ST parts for your SW, which include the internal cage? What do you think?
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I personally prefer that style, but as for value, I don't think it would be worth as much to the masses in non NAS spec.

-Jeff
That I agree with.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2013 05:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Are you converting your 90 to a 110 beach runner type? I will trade my complete ST parts for your SW, which include the internal cage? What do you think?
I'd consider trading the specific parts to convert your ST to a SW and vice versa for mine.

We can chat. You'd likely have to go down to FL to do the conversion though.

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
All doors are included.
With all three doors included +$8K

All would be a good set of parts for someone with a MOD truck that needed "civilizing"

Bent chassis without vin is good for mounts, repair pieces, a trail only truck, or scrap value

And FWIW I like the ROW non-padded way better than the NAS...
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:45 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

just curious, how much it would cost to convert NAS D90 to D110?
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola View Post
just curious, how much it would cost to convert NAS D90 to D110?
How much money you got?
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you rebuild the salvage unit, can you get it a clean title?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:56 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If you rebuild the salvage unit, can you get it a clean title?
That's my next question as well. In theory it's a brand new truck. You'd think some states would have ways to unbrand a title.

Semper Fi!
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
How much money you got?
not enough? lol

I guess since a few had done the conversion already and few are planning to, a rough estimate would be good info for others whom may consider to go down the same path.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events