2015 Alvord Desert Defender Event - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

2015 Alvord Desert Defender Event

Tiktaalik and Defenders Northwest has partnered up to offer an informal get-together for Defender owners to celebrate the last year of Defender production in a wilderness setting. This event Defenders-only event will take place in the Alvord Desert in eastern Oregon this October. Only Land Rover Defenders (All variations - 1983 One Ten or Ninety - through current production) are invited at the event - no other models or makes of vehicle are allowed in the camp area for the duration of the event.

For those who have been, this is an incredibly captivating and beautiful wilderness area with access to Steens Mountain (9,734') as well as the famous Alvord Desert playa where our event will take place. There will be lots of opportunities for day trips to explore breathtaking vistas or adventurous mountain back roads. Perhaps a dip in the pool inside Malheur Cave or if you're lucky you might spot a herd of wild horses. You also get an opportunity to connect with, and get to know other Defender enthusiasts and trade stories around the campfire while watching the stars in the Alvord Desert Playa. We could not think of a better opportunity to celebrate the Land Rover Defender.

Registration is required for this event, with a flat fee of $50 per-person. This flat fee covers your BLM permit, event Insurance, sanitation, group equipment, registration, taxes, and banking. This event is not-for-profit, space is limited in order to keep the required services and staffing within reason. Reservations and payment are tied together and you can place an your order to secure your spot through the web-store on Tiktaalik.com. The registration deadline is September 9th, 2015. Late registrations (after 9/9/15) will be charged an additional $25 per-person to account for the additional cost changes in services. Please note that those who have already paid a deposit we have set up a discount code crediting your previous payment on the full reservation price. Your reservation fee is non refundable and a 48hr cancellation notice is required.

What your registration provides:
Campsite and overnight parking permits
On-site bathroom (Port-a-potty)
Group Shade / common area
Organizational staff and volunteers

Email or PM us if you have questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Alvord 8.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	125350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Wildhorse Lake 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	125351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Steens Summit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	125352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Alvord 2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	125353  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2015, 01:55 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That place.... so good. Wish I could make it. But the 110 will still be under the knife.

Scouting trip good? Any water on the playa? It actually fills up in August some years.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

The scouting trip was excellent. Only complaint is that it was too short so I am looking forward to spending more time in the area. We had a brief rain shower while on the Playa, not too bad though. October is supposed to be the best time to go weather-wise. That said we have no control over the weather. All we can do is to pick the most optimal time to go and hope for the best. We have alternatives nearby should the playa get too slick.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2015, 02:28 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Interested...

Have you determined the actual dates in October? WNLRR is early in the month and I am going to that. If this one is later, well then I might just have to sign up for this one too.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Unfortunately this Alvord Event is at the same time as WNLRR and our dates are locked in. Our event is not a club based event. It is open to anyone who owns a Defender. Some have experience, and for some this is the first time they're doing something like this.
-
-
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Christocat
Chris & Rachael
1997 Land Rover Defender LE 116

Registry
Interested in going, Just have to see what the Navy surprises me with in the next few months.
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:37 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
That place.... so good. Wish I could make it. But the 110 will still be under the knife. Scouting trip good? Any water on the playa? It actually fills up in August some years.
Set yourself a goal of Labor Day weekend. I did a whole chassis replacement in six weeks a couple years back starting right about now! Got it road worthy late Friday night of Labor day weekend! Then you will have a whole month to work the bugs out!

------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2015 02:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Tiktaalik and Defenders Northwest has partnered up to offer an informal get-together for Defender owners to celebrate the last year of Defender production in a wilderness setting. This event Defenders-only event will take place in the Alvord Desert in eastern Oregon this October. Only Land Rover Defenders (All variations - 1983 One Ten or Ninety - through current production) are invited at the event - no other models or makes of vehicle are allowed in the camp area for the duration of the event. For those who have been, this is an incredibly captivating and beautiful wilderness area with access to Steens Mountain (9,734') as well as the famous Alvord Desert playa where our event will take place. There will be lots of opportunities for day trips to explore breathtaking vistas or adventurous mountain back roads. Perhaps a dip in the pool inside Malheur Cave or if you're lucky you might spot a herd of wild horses. You also get an opportunity to connect with, and get to know other Defender enthusiasts and trade stories around the campfire while watching the stars in the Alvord Desert Playa. We could not think of a better opportunity to celebrate the Land Rover Defender. Registration is required for this event, with a flat fee of $50 per-person. This flat fee covers your BLM permit, event Insurance, sanitation, group equipment, registration, taxes, and banking. This event is not-for-profit, space is limited in order to keep the required services and staffing within reason. Reservations and payment are tied together and you can place an your order to secure your spot through the web-store on Tiktaalik.com. The registration deadline is September 9th, 2015. Late registrations (after 9/9/15) will be charged an additional $25 per-person to account for the additional cost changes in services. Please note that those who have already paid a deposit we have set up a discount code crediting your previous payment on the full reservation price. Your reservation fee is non refundable and a 48hr cancellation notice is required. What your registration provides: Campsite and overnight parking permits On-site bathroom (Port-a-potty) Group Shade / common area Organizational staff and volunteers Email or PM us if you have questions.
How many currently on the list?
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Ryan. Up until now we have 20 Defenders (29 people) committed but that number may fluctuate quite a bit. The number of attendees for the event has a hard cap at 50. By having people make a reservation via the link I provided we're hoping to firm up commitments so we can get a better idea of what the final number will be, sooner rather than later.
-
-
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Bummer - 37hrs is a little too long for me!! Might think about flying in
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:10 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
Set yourself a goal of Labor Day weekend. I did a whole chassis replacement in six weeks a couple years back starting right about now! Got it road worthy late Friday night of Labor day weekend! Then you will have a whole month to work the bugs out!
In actual work hours, I could see that happening if I could work on it consistently. But.... I'm also painting my house to save the $10k that every painter in the NW seems to think is a reasonable price, planning to be out of town two weeks in the coming month, and I still don't have all the parts anyway!

Just in case people are thinking of going on this trip, but not sure. I hope I can tempt you with this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmba...57627351833128
AUX 110: Cracked Alvord

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

We can set up a landing strip for you. There were a row of planes on the playa when I was there for the scouting trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Bummer - 37hrs is a little too long for me!! Might think about flying in
------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2015 05:17 PM ------

Great photos Ben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Just in case people are thinking of going on this trip, but not sure. I hope I can tempt you with this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmba...57627351833128
AUX 110: Cracked Alvord
-
-
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Today is the last day to register for this event without occurring a late fee.

We currently have 15 Defenders and 22 participants registered.

Having achieved critical mass we've been able to change the fee from per person to per vehicle.
-
-
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looking forward to seeing everyone next month!
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Are you guys going to travel down together? If anyone plans to come through La Grande (I-84 MP261) stop by & say hello!
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Paul, I think there will be several groups traveling independently. Brian and I have no part in organizing the to-and-from but all registered participants are welcome to organize their own caravans on this thread. We're currently looking at 19 Defenders and 32 registered participants and that doesn't even include Brian's fleet of magnificent Defenders. I can't speak for everyone but I will most likely drive down to Bend and head over to Burns from there.
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:44 PM
ianlyman
Ian
1985 Defender 110 300 tdi

All right chaps, shall we organize a PDX convoy?

1985 Defender 110
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Are you guys going to travel down together? If anyone plans to come through La Grande (I-84 MP261) stop by & say hello!
Paul - we may come back through LaGrande just to visit you (healing OK I hope?) our travels down are a couple days prior to the event as we have to manage the on-site setup.

Didn't see you on the list...
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Paul - we may come back through LaGrande just to visit you (healing OK I hope?) our travels down are a couple days prior to the event as we have to manage the on-site setup.

Didn't see you on the list...
Sounds great! Decided to pass on the actual event- hopefully in the future!

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2015 07:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlyman View Post
If you guys do that, you should be in La Grande around lunchtime. It would be great to meet up!
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What day were you planning to head down?

Quote:
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:29 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
I plan to head out Thursday afternoon and hope to get halfway or so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
defender, event