2008 Mid Atlantic Rally! Oct 2, 3, 4, 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
lrmike
Mike Mason
94 Disco Pig

Thumbs up 2008 Mid Atlantic Rally! Oct 2, 3, 4, 5

It's just around the corner, the biggest, best and most unique Land Rover event in North America - the 2008 Mid Atlantic Rally

In celebration of the 60th anniversary of Land Rover, the Rover Owners Association of Virginia ( www.roav.org ) is planning the single largest and most unique Land Rover event EVER in North America! A few of the highlights that your $105.00 registration fee includes:

A new venue for the MAR - Oakridge Estate (www.oakridgeestate.com) in Arrington, VA. A wonderful 200 year old, 5000 acre historical estate in Nelson County, VA

Over 40 miles of offroad trails - An established trail system with obstacles to accommodate all levels of difficulty with experienced trail guides at our disposal

Bill Burke! - International offroad trainer and guide, former Camel trophy participant and all around cool dude, Bill will be holding class at the MAR! Classroom and trail instruction throughout the event, all skill levels! Of course, our ever popular Ladies Only Tech and Trail too!

Vendors - With support from top flight vendors such as Rovers North and experienced Land Rover retailers we are EXCITED about the opportunities to have all the best parts and accessories and the newest Land Rover technology all together in one place

Events - An array of events for everyone! Our old favorites, the Teeter Totter, slow race and the blindfold obstacle course are a popular diversion for everyone. The Rovers North RTV - a popular driving skills challenge from the UK with a unique American twist. Speaking of twist, we even have an RTI 'twist' ramp to test your flex!

Aluminum Man Triathlon - Our premier event, the AMT pits teams of 2 persons against each other in a series of 3 events. First, a skills challenge (ever tried to paddle your road wheel in a canoe?). Second, a navigational challenge (GPS coordinates, 10:00PM, torrential rain - let then fun begin!) Third, a driving challenge (the RTV, or a slightly sadistic version of it) Only the most dedicated teams see it through for the most valued prizes!

Tech Sessions - from 1948 to 2008, we'll have tech sessions to suit from professional technicians and instructors!

Entertainment - Each day live bands and entertainment at the main stage!

Food – Food vendors will be available throughout the rally, plus an elegant meet and greet at the estate’s Carriage House on Friday night.

Raffle and Auction - An opportunity to get something for nothing, or at least close to it! Saturday night will be a unique combination of live raffle and auction, entertainment and bargains for everyone! Just watch out for the monkeys....

On Site Camping!! - We are very excited about this - primitive camping on site, INCLUDED IN YOUR REGISTRATION FEE! Not something normally available at Oakridge, our Rally site encompasses acres of gently rolling hills and flat ground ideal for camping! As always, no ground fires permitted.

Golf Carts?! - Yes, because the rally site is so extensive we are allowing for the first time Golf Carts to be used on the site! There will also be rentals available if you want to take advantage. Why? Easy - with this many people moving around the site it makes more sense to use a cart than your truck to get from your campsite to the main tent. Yes, it really is THAT MUCH SPACE! Besides, think of the fuel savings. PLEASE NOTE - golf carts ONLY! NO quad cycles, motorcycles, pocket bikes, ATV's, etc. Think slow speed and friendly atmosphere!

$105.00 Registration fee!!! – Registration fee includes 1 Land Rover and as many persons as there are seats! If you trailer your truck in, there is a separate secure area for complimentary parking of the tow rig and trailer.

A quick note on camping: Nelson County health regulations limit any property, including Oakridge Estate, to only 2 ‘campers or motor homes’. At this time there is not an event waiver available for this stipulation, hence the ‘primitive’ camping.

What is OK: Tents, tent trailers (Sanky with tent on top), rooftop tents, conversions without plumbing.

What is not OK: Motor homes, camping trailers, popup campers, etc with plumbing.

If you have a Land Rover conversion such as a Doormobile or Carawagon, please contact me for information on how you will be OK with your vehicle.

I’m sure reservations at nearby campgrounds and motels will go quickly, so reserve early!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The cultural differences between this site and Discoweb are extreme- thats a good thing. There is a six or seven page string about this on Dweb and its ugly.
I'll be there Mike.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
lrmike
Mike Mason
94 Disco Pig

Thanks for the support! I know what you mean, D-web can get pretty intense

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2008, 03:46 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I can't wait.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'll most likely be there. Sounds as fun as ever.
charles
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I started working on installing my on-board hot water shower setup today so it will be operational for MAR - got the flat plate heat exchanger mounted in the engine compartment near the cabin heater. I'll build the pump, valve systems and shower head into a dustproof case that can be lashed to the roof rack and taken down and set up in just a couple of minutes.

Got a couple of other projects in mind for the summer to get ready for the fall camping season.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have drill that weekend

Semper Fi!
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
lrmike
Mike Mason
94 Disco Pig

Still plenty of time to try and fix that! Sure you can't manage a little TDY for the weekend?

Old July 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmike
Still plenty of time to try and fix that! Sure you can't manage a little TDY for the weekend?
Sadly, I can't miss that weekend.

Semper Fi!
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'm going to try to make it, supposing I still have the RRC at that point.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Plan to be there as well..
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

As I"ll have a 2 week old at home, I'm out this year, dammit.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
As I"ll have a 2 week old at home, I'm out this year, dammit.
Tony, your 110 will be more than 2 weeks old, won't it?
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It will -- will you be taking yours?
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Yes, it should be done by the end of this week. I just need to find out how long he intends to keep it to make sure the conversion went smoothly before putting it on a boat.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Update, we have several sponsors lined up including RoversNorth, Atlantic British and DAP.
In addition, Crutchfield, a large local AV retailer is donating some satellite radio setups, and a cool GPS setup. We are working on beer and scotch vendors as well...
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad
We are working on beer and scotch vendors as well...
May I suggest Bass or Newcastle? To keep with the British theme and all

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If you guys are serious about a beer vendor I can give you the name of my buddy that's a brewery rep for http://www.stgeorgebrewingco.com/ They do English style beers.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Will it just be Porta Pottys like usual or what? SHowers?
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I love St. George Brewery. That would rule!!!
If you want some updates on the rally and some good reading, check out discoweb on this subject...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events