110 Rebuild Wrench Weekends (Puget Sound, WA) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 14th, 2014, 02:27 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

110 Rebuild Wrench Weekends (Puget Sound, WA)

Guys,

I'm going to be doing major surgery on my 110 over at Defenders Northwest (Brian Hall's shop) in Gig Harbor in February. I have a brand new Turner-remanufactured 300Tdi motor with their performance heads that's going in the truck. To make everything even easier and nicer, the motor is getting all new ancillaries. Every last bracket, shroud, pulley, nut, and bolt will be brand new. There will be no grimy, rusty, three hundy cadaver dripping oil on a pallet that we have to strip for questionable parts. We're going to build this baby up from scratch, like we're at the factory.

There are a few other things I've been hoarding for the big day. I have a VNT turbo kit from M&D Engineering. I also have a beefy Allard radiator and full width intercooler on the plane over, too. To complete the drivetrain, Rob Dassler has sent a freshly rebuilt R380 and LT230 for the swap.

Going all Billy Mays here for a second, but wait, there's more.

We won't have to do any surgery on my Tithonus frame to make this happen. All of this stuff will be going on a shiny new Richards galvanized chassis, fastened down with stainless hardware.

So...there's a lot of work to be done, setting up the new roller and moving everything over from my truck and I could use some help. If you're around and feel like turning a wrench, I'd love to have you come out. I'll provide and food and beer for the work party.

I still need to coordinate the details with Brian but the work will be happening over the first three (maybe four...God, I hope not) weekends in February, with the major stuff happening on the 8th & 9th and the 15th & 16th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:26 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Sounds awesome! If I were still at JBLM, Id be over. Curious though, why go through all this with a 2 door Tithonus. You seemed really keen on its military original-ness and would not 4 doors be more convenient for family? Also, is DNW allowing you to wrench at his shop? That is awfully nice of them if so. That reminds me, I need to get some stuff from him...

Oh, and what numbers are you anticipating with the mods ti the 300?
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Damnit man, did you hit the lotto!?! That is gonna be sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:26 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
You seemed really keen on its military original-ness and would not 4 doors be more convenient for family?
I can't speak for Chris but I'm thinking a removable rear seat might go in there. Make the kids climb in through the back.

But I'm left scratching my head with the decision to do a chassis swap, unless the present chassis is rusty. Why not use it for another 15 years or so and do it then?

I'm also thinking that with the hot rod mods to the 300tdi, a 1.2 ratio t-case might be the way to go, especially with the XZLs.

Either way the result is going to be one very nice truck.
Old January 14th, 2014, 11:28 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
But I'm left scratching my head with the decision to do a chassis swap, unless the present chassis is rusty. Why not use it for another 15 years or so and do it then?
To increase resale value, or to increase market appeal? Seems like an ok idea if the build is being done with the intent to sell in a short time frame.
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I was scratching, too.

I thought the draw of the Tithonus project trucks was the awesomeness of their frames and general well-being??
I've seen one Tithonus up close and it looked great underneath.

Anyway, looks like it is going to be a great 110 when it's finished.
Motor looks nice, Chris.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

having seen his 110 in person I can say that the frame looked perfect.

If you were still in Colorado I would have to buy your old frame
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'll be up to "help" (hold your beer?) on the 15th. Possibly also the weekend prior.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Ok here's another question for you Chris--

Are you doing power steering also? Because of the serpentine belt routing, you have to have a PAS pump on a 300tdi, right?
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:08 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Definitely not doing this to sell the truck. I hope to get many decades out of this one and pass it on to my son someday (if we don't build his own). I use the truck for my trips out to the desert; they're my chance to forget about work and technology and responsibility for a couple of weeks and I get through the rest of the year by dreaming about those times.

The current frame on this truck is pretty much perfect. The reason I'm doing the swap is four-fold:

- It's fun to build up a roller. It gives you a chance to go through everything that you normally don't see. Chassis harness, brackets, and rusty mounting hardware all get cleaned up. New bushings all around, etc.

- Swapping a frame down the road is a pain in the ass. It's only a matter of another weekend or two of work to do it right now.

- Don't have to weld in new motor mounts

- The old motor and chassis remain intact. The motor has roughly 24,000 miles on it since the Tithonus rebuild and I presume that the gearbox and t-case are the same. I can probably sell this as a nice rolling chassis to someone, since it will be easy to get on a flatbed and ship somewhere.

- I'm restarting the clock on the frame by a few years and getting something that's better than the raw, waxoyl'ed frame that came on the truck.

On the downside, yep, you guys know me well. I'm a purist and the galvy frame is definitely not pure ex-MOD. That does bother me somewhat. I may paint the rear crossmember. Maybe I won't. Honestly, I fucked this truck up the day I removed the battery box and intercom wiring. It will never be 100% pure. It will still keep the external look, though, mostly. It will always be green and I'll always run an intact gel top or a PVC Wolf soft top.

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2014 07:10 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Wish I could help, but the timing is bad. Go-pro time lapse is needed for this!
For sure. I really don't want to get too busy and skip the documentation as I have sometimes in the past. That's kind of why I was hoping that maybe someone with less wrenching skill would show up and do the photography and GoPro action. I have all of the camera gear; just need someone to run it.

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2014 07:11 PM ------

Quote:
Ok here's another question for you Chris--

Are you doing power steering also? Because of the serpentine belt routing, you have to have a PAS pump on a 300tdi, right?
Oh, definitely. PAS is a must for me and the lack of it is probably the only thing about the truck in it's current state that bothers me.

We have a PAS pump on the boat.

/
/
/
/
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've seen a handful of galvanized chassis painted black, and I don't think it looks bad at all. It'd be easy enough to paint it while you have it all apart.
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:40 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
I can't speak for Chris but I'm thinking a removable rear seat might go in there. Make the kids climb in through the back.
My family is small, just my wife and our son (19 mos) and me. My wife hates Defenders and doesn't like to ride in the 110 so I don't really need a four-door. My son Evan is still pretty young and probably won't do any trips with me until he's out of diapers and can sit forward-facing in a booster. I think he'll like it. The first thing he does every morning is walk to the front windows and pull open the blinds and look at the 110 and say "rohh-rurr" over and over.

/
/
/
/
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
My wife hates Defenders and doesn't like to ride in the 110 so I don't really need a four-door.
Now that's a damn shame.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
Chris, I can come out for one day so when you need me, let me know. Pm me or call to discuss needs. Chris 360914183six
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
The first thing he does every morning is walk to the front windows and pull open the blinds and look at the 110 and say "rohh-rurr" over and over.
I think you have her outnumbered He will be up next to you in that booster seat in the blink of an eye.
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
Chris, I can come out for one day so when you need me, let me know. Pm me or call to discuss needs. Chris 360914183six
Chris, that would be awesome...but man, I feel for you, that's a long ass drive...or boat ride. lol

I'll post up here when we have the exact wrenching dates.

------ Follow up post added January 16th, 2014 04:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I think you have her outnumbered He will be up next to you in that booster seat in the blink of an eye.
We pretty much do and the look on her face the first time he pointed at the truck when they walked outside was priceless. She knew she was screwed.

I'm already dreaming up his first truck. I think that a 1980s ROW D90 vanside with no P/S and a 2.5NA is the most perfect high schooler vehicle in the world. It's virtually impossible for a kid to get into trouble in a truck like that.

/
/
/
/
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

I'm already dreaming up his first truck. I think that a 1980s ROW D90 vanside with no P/S and a 2.5NA is the most perfect high schooler vehicle in the world. It's virtually impossible for a kid to get into trouble in a truck like that.
Except going out on some illegal power line trails with his buddies that own Jeeps and getting stuck in the middle of the night. Maybe he'll need a winch too.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Mine was a 1971 88 2a in 1979. I managed to get in plenty of trouble.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I had a 1970 2a in H.S. and we sorta still got into trouble - just slowly and in the woods.
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

LOL, true enough. My hope is that he'll have enough off road driving and recovery skills by 16 to be okay. I had a buddy in high school that had a gorgeous Oldsmobile 442 convertible that he rebuilt with his dad. They started when he was 11 or 12 and it was ready when he was 16. He always treated that car well and drove conservatively because he knew what went into it. I guess not all kids would be like that but I hope Evan will be.

Did you guys do a lot of work on your trucks back then?

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
110, rebuild