110 Rebuild Wrench Weekends (Puget Sound, WA) - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old February 25th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2456017865.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	90313  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Dnw

nice
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:39 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So the new chassis is now a roller. We've moved the bulkhead over, along with the fuel tank. Fuel and brake lines are in but not yet secured--waiting on the chassis harness and once we have that, we'll route all three along the top of the chassis.

This weekend is going to be a big push and we could definitely use all the help we can get! Things are moving along really quickly and there aren't too many heavy pieces left to lift but there are lots of little jobs that need doing.

We need install the transmission brake and rear D/S and hang the exhaust. We'll also finalize the lines and harnesses on the frame and install the tub and connect the tail lights and such. Also need to adapt the LT77 linkage to the R380 gearbox and get that all finished up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
so the new chassis is now a roller. We've moved the bulkhead over, along with the fuel tank. Fuel and brake lines are in but not yet secured--waiting on the chassis harness and once we have that, we'll route all three along the top of the chassis.

This weekend is going to be a big push and we could definitely use all the help we can get! Things are moving along really quickly and there aren't too many heavy pieces left to lift but there are lots of little jobs that need doing.

We need install the transmission brake and rear d/s and hang the exhaust. We'll also finalize the lines and harnesses on the frame and install the tub and connect the tail lights and such. Also need to adapt the lt77 linkage to the r380 gearbox and get that all finished up.

Name:	IMG_4582.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	90711
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
After a weekend off - we have a couple more weekends before the project is all done.

Next weekend has the rest of the bodywork plugged in and bolted up, front and rear wiring harnesses installed, the timing set, motor ancillaries mounted up, and fluids filled - possibly even starting up the engine for the first time if everything gets done on schedule

The following weekend is tuning and finishing up all the body bits in front of the bulkhead - test drives and celebratory scotch…

Name:	IMG_4600.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	91347
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We are finishing up the first Owner Managed Restoration Project this weekend and wanted to put out and open invitation for interested parties to come out to Gig Harbor and celebrate!

We may still have Neil and Julie from overland birds.com with us and happy to chat about the trials and tribulations of overland travel through Africa and South America (and the hospitality of the boys from San Diego)

who - anyone and everyone Defender or not, bring the family and spend the day in the Harbor
what - burgers and beer (well at least burgers - unless you bring your own beer, then burgers and beer)
when - Sunday April 13th from noon until 2pm (officially, though you are welcomed to linger until we kick you out)
where - Defenders Northwest Workshop, Gig Harbor, WA 98332
why - because it may not be raining - and Chris will have finished his build in 8 weekends

Email for directions and the shop address - brian@defendersnw.com

Any and all are welcomed to come visit and chat, especially the great folks who helped out with labor for this build!
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

We'll be driving up Saturday.
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
We are finishing up the first Owner Managed Restoration Project this weekend and wanted to put out and open invitation for interested parties to come out to Gig Harbor and celebrate!

We may still have Neil and Julie from overland birds.com with us and happy to chat about the trials and tribulations of overland travel through Africa and South America (and the hospitality of the boys from San Diego)

who - anyone and everyone Defender or not, bring the family and spend the day in the Harbor
what - burgers and beer (well at least burgers - unless you bring your own beer, then burgers and beer)
when - Sunday April 13th from noon until 2pm (officially, though you are welcomed to linger until we kick you out)
where - Defenders Northwest Workshop, Gig Harbor, WA 98332
why - because it may not be raining - and Chris will have finished his build in 8 weekends

Email for directions and the shop address - brian@defendersnw.com

Any and all are welcomed to come visit and chat, especially the great folks who helped out with labor for this build!
My hat's off to you. Most professionals discourage this by charging extra when a customer watches, more if they help, and even more if they've worked on it previously!

(or maybe that's the arrangement?)
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
My hat's off to you. Most professionals discourage this by charging extra when a customer watches, more if they help, and even more if they've worked on it previously!
I wish that were true!
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post

(or maybe that's the arrangement?)
This is where I should go on about my opinions of shade tree mechanics but I'll refrain…

Our shop is in place first and foremost to support the DIY restorer - new to Defenders or new to mechanics it matters little. The only real requirements we have is a willingness to learn and a mind to ask for help when something doesn't seem quite right (instead of getting a bigger hammer first and thinking about the problem after it's been made worse)

The next project rolls into the shop in a week - as a first year 90 getting a Tdi, chassis, and paint…
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:32 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Doing this project at Defenders Northwest has been awesome. I came into this at a moderate skill level. I could rebuild axles, rebuild a brake M/C, do electrical, that sort of thing--but I had never pulled a motor before. After having gone through this process, I now know that I could do this all over again on my own with sufficient time. That's the thing, though: we got this done in about ten weekends and that was with a few setbacks and lessons learned. Where else can you get the learning experience of having rebuilt your own truck for the first time but also get it done in less than a year of weekends? There's no fear of ending up with a scattered pile of parts after life distracts you halfway into your twelve-month project.

I'm coming out of this knowing every part of my truck. All of the little Defender things that were mysteries to me (like, how do you swap a gearbox?) are mysteries no more. Except for the internal guts of the engine block and gearbox, I've now touched everything on this truck.

It was serendipity that I ended up doing the project here. I bought my 300Tdi months before I bought the ex-MOD and when I called various LR diesel guys asking if I could help them swap it, you could almost hear their eyes roll. I only found Brian because I was PCS'ing to Fort Lewis and needed a place to ship the motor ASAP and he stepped up and stored it for me for three months, just because he's a good guy. I'm stoked that things worked out and he started offering this service. Can't wait to watch the next DNW build from the comfort of my computer desk.

PS- A big thank you is also due to Carl and Jamie and everyone else who came by to wrench on trucks out in the PNW winter rain.

/
/
/
/
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is pretty awesome. My post-Army house is on Bainbridge Island, I sure hope you're still doing this in a few years because I'll be dropping by just to help and BS about rovers!

Old April 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
This is pretty awesome. My post-Army house is on Bainbridge Island, I sure hope you're still doing this in a few years because I'll be dropping by just to help and BS about rovers!
Should be doing even more of this in a few years as the 300tdi becomes a viable factory configured import. We have a couple more of these projects lined up for this year already, and with the process improvements learnt from working with Chris on this project it should continue to get better.

And any western WA folks who can make it out today - it's going to be sunny, 70, and BBQ time...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
110, rebuild