110 Rebuild Wrench Weekends (Puget Sound, WA) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ok guys, we are going to start building up the motor this weekend. Probably won't need much help there but if you're in the area and want to stop by, drop me a line.

Weekend after next will be all about building up a roller chassis with the motor and driveline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Still planning on being there weekend of the 15th if its of any help.
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:46 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For sure. That will probably be when we start moving the body over. I hurt my back a few weeks ago and I've been hobbling around since, so we'll need all the help we can get.

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2014, 12:22 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ready to start into the motor and rolling chassis tomorrow…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	88963
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:25 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Ready to start into the motor and rolling chassis tomorrow…

Attachment 88963
Nice!
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:05 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
I work weekends right now or I'd be all over this! Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswalt View Post
I work weekends right now or I'd be all over this! Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
Bummer, would love to have you down!

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This weekend is going to be a big weekend for wrenching. We'll be finishing up the remaining bits on the motor, mounting the radiator/intercooler, and we'll start moving the body over. If you were thinking about stopping by for a day or even just a few hours, this would be a great weekend to do it. We could use a hand, especially when it comes to moving stuff like this priceless, irreplaceable, pristine Tithonus gel top.

/
/
/
/
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon.
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon.
Me too…
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:06 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

T-case and gearbox all bolted up.

Wrenched all day in the cold rain and wind.

Once the drivetrain is on the new chassis, we rolled it to the back of the shop and rolled the remains of the 110 inside.

Tomorrow should be a big day. We'll finish pulling the seatbox, tub, and tank and hopefully get them mounted on the new chassis.

/
/
/
/
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I really have to give props to Brian Hall at Defenders Northwest. Thanks to his organization, expertise, and container shipping, doing this three hundy build has been a breeze.

The arrangement that Brian offers is unique: unlike most of the diesel swappers in the US, Brian is not in the business of doing the swap for you. Rather, he offers a service geared to amateur mechanics who want to do their own swaps and thus attain proficiency with their new motor. He's put together a master parts list and orders everything needed in bulk and brings it over in one big shipment. He provides the shop space, the specialized tools, hoists, etc., and answers my questions when I have them. It's the perfect solution for an overlander who likes to do their own wrenching but doesn't have the shop or hours to spend identifying and sourcing parts from the UK.

Back to the truck...

Rob Dassler sent a R380 and a LT230. As the old-timers here know, Rob is quite the prankster. After I told him that these boxes were going in my ex-MOD, Rob gave the LT230 a G.I. Joe paint job. Thanks Rob!

The motor went in last week:

I had a choice of injection pumps: new Genuine, rebuilt Genuine, or new Britpart. I went for the rebuilt Genuine and I think it was a good choice. The shiny IP came inside a sealed Bosch bag, in a Bosch box, rebuilt by the factory in Germany. Wunderbar!

Assembling a Turner block with new ancillaries is dreamy. There are no rusty fasters to break and no sludge to scrub off. It goes together very quickly.

/
/
/
/
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
Looks awesome!!!!
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM
tpond
Toby Pond

Looks awesome! When is the next work party?
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpond View Post
Looks awesome! When is the next work party?
March 1st & 2nd - should be a good weekend for it as well.

Meeting 8am Saturday morning at the Caffeine & Gasoline casual car show at the Griot's Garage store in Tacoma and headed over the shop at 9am.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Can't help - too far - but interested to see how it turns out.
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:23 PM
spanto
peter
None

That engine looks dreamy!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:56 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Carl took some really nice photos last weekend. Here are a few of them:

/
/
/
/
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:25 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Looks very nice indeed.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
great job! Prepare to feel major shipfitter's...you will want to clean and polish every small part that comes off the old chassis It is a difficult feeling to avoid for me...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Tags
110, rebuild